Speakers for Juno-Gi

Forum for JUNO-Gi
thetimo

Speakers for Juno-Gi

Post by thetimo »

Hi all,

I've owned a JUNO-Gi for quite some time now, and I'm currently running them through a pair of old logitech computer speakers, which is fine, but distorts on certain notes and probably affects the sound qualitiy badly.

So I've decided to finally make the upgrade to a pair of proper studio speakers. However, I don't really know where to start looking, and one of my friends said that I was best of asking the internet for consult, since there was probably a set of speakers that were practicly designed for the JUNO.

My budget is about €250, and I'm not looking for anything stage ready, it's just for home use. Furthermore, I was hoping to also use them for my computer, but I was wondering if that would require a PA system? I really don't know a lot about this stuff.

Anyway, do you guys have any recommandations for me? It would be much appreciated.

specialplant

Re: Speakers for Juno-Gi

Post by specialplant »

I have tried a lot of small, highly portable speakers for the amplification of my synthesizers, especially for piano sounds when I accompany a soloist in church. Your budget of 250 euros is rather low, but for that price I would definitely recommend the JBL Control 2 PS. They are active loudspeakers with 2 x 35 W RMS and have a good frequency profile to be used as a small keyboard amplification. Read the reviews at Thomann.de, I think they fit exactly to your needs.
thetimo

Post by thetimo »

Thanks,
You say my budget is rather low, but how much money would it cost for good quality speakers? because my budget isn't entirely fixed
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

There are many options; I think the JBL Control 2 PS are really ok up to a medium volume, the sound is quite clear, they just don't produce deep bass at all. If you want to be able to turn upt the volume a bit more without distortion and still have small and portable loudspeakers, the FBT Jolly 5 BA are great, I use them a lot for soloist accompaniment in churches. They cost 250 Euros per speaker.
If you don't need higher volumes, but very pure studio sound (nearfield monitors), you could look for Genelec 6010 or 8020 or Adam Artist A3. Just have a look at the Thomann.de site at the recording / monitors category. I once had the Genelec 6010, they had a great clear sound but were limited in volume.
canadave

Post by canadave »

Well, these are the usual ones everyone recommends for "on the cheap" good studio monitors--the KRK RP5's. I have the version of these before the ones currently being sold, and they seem great to me. Maybe a little light on the bass, but unless you're mixing professionally, I don't think you'd notice.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/krk_rp5_g2_rokit.htm
dmitche3

Post by dmitche3 »

I just bought a pair or Samson A5 studio speakers for $200. These were a close out and are getting hard to find but the sound quality is quite nice.
RoyR

Post by RoyR »

I will bet that for every reply on this topic, there will be a different recommendation! But that's ok.

I have used a pair of Roland Cube Monitors for several years...model CM-30. They are only 30 watts each, but that has been fine for my usual use at smaller venues and homes. Each speaker has 3 stereo input channels using a combination of stereo mini-jack, 1/4 inch tip/ring mono jacks, RCA phono plugs, and an XLR mike input jack, depending on which channel you are plugging in to. It weighs 12 lbs and is quite well made...perhaps sturdy enough to stand on (I think!). I use two for my Juno-Gi and Jupiter 50. I started with one, but bought a second one since stereo sound is best with two, separated speakers.

With all the choices of speaker inputs, you could easily split your computer audio left/right and run it into left and right speaker channels that are not used by the keyboard. Or just route your stereo computer audio into the stereo mini-jack input on one speaker.

I think the sound is good, but I will admit I have not performed side-by-side comparisons with other speakers. I bought mine for $175 (US) each at Amazon in December 2009. They are still listed there now, but at $199 each.

--Roy