Juno Gi, LFO, only 2 waveforms??

Forum for JUNO-Gi
dmitche3

Juno Gi, LFO, only 2 waveforms??

Post by dmitche3 »

I just bought a Juno Gi and I'm quickly regretting spending the money. With 1,300 sounds (90% are worthless, beyond tweaking) I wanted to use the LFO. Reading the manual I find that this so called "synthesizer" only supports TWO waveforms on the LFO!

No Sine wave. No Triangle wave. No Trapezoidal. Just Square and Sawtooth.

Am I alone on this? This is extremely disappointing. Why bother even with having just these two?
tnicoson

Re: Juno Gi, LFO, only 2 waveforms??

Post by tnicoson »

It sounds like your best move would be, if possible, to return the Gi and get a refund and select a different brand. Even a more sophisticated LFO would not change what you perceive to be 90% worthless sounds, and I strongly suspect that, at this point, your disappointments are just beginning. If you try to keep the Gi, it will never be anything more the an irritating thorn in your side. I think many of us in this business have, at one time or another, been where you are now. There is probably very little that any of us could say that would change things.

If you were to read through the various posts on this forum, and the Juno-Di forum, and yes, even the Jupiter 50 and 80 forums, you would find numerous users who are disappointed for one reason or another, but I think I have noticed a pattern. For "pure" synthesists , if the sound design is via button presses and menu selections, and touch screens, and modifying ROM-based waveforms, and such and so forth, they are probably not going to be happy with it. In other words, if it does not have a front panel full of knobs and switches and sliders and locally generated raw wave-forms, eventually they are going to be dissatisfied with it. That does not necessarily make it a piece of "useless junk". It just means that that unit is not for them.

If you are fortunate enough to be able to return your Gi and get a replacement, I would strongly recommend a hands-on tryout of the replacement before purchase. If that is not possible, then I recommend downloading the user manual and going over those areas that you consider critical to your needs.

Another disappointed user in this forum considered his Gi a ROMpler rather than a synth. I have to agree with him, and on that point, perhaps Roland was amiss in improperly naming this currently line of what they consider "synths". I was looking for an easily portable ROMpler with a nice selection of (IMHO) decent quality acoustic instrument sounds with some synth capabilities thrown in, so I settled on the Juno-Gi and have been perfectly satisfied with it. When I went looking for a similar 76 key studio unit, I settled on the Jupiter-50, but many of those who bought the Jupiter-50/80 looking for a "true" synth, have come away disappointed.

I am very sorry that the Gi did not work out for you.

Best of luck !

Regards,

Ted
dmitche3

Post by dmitche3 »

Thank you for such a respectful and insightful response. While I'm disappointed I'm over the 'shock factor'. While this is a disappointment I'll have to live with it. Live and learn. :)

I played with this unit for 3-4 hours before deciding on it. The one thing that I just 'AssUMed' was that if there were two LFO's that there would be the basic behind the functionality.

Thank you.

Thanks again.
tnicoson

Post by tnicoson »

dmitche3

I am very happy to read that you have decided to give the Gi a chance. I think it deserves it, but I did not want to try to sway you in that direction if you were really dead set against it. I see from your post on applying effects after recording that you are already digging into it. Since I am not yet into heavy use of the onboard recorder, I did not know the answer to your question. I kind of suspected it might have something to do with bounce, but did not know for sure. Now I do, so thanks for that tip ! And . . . I guess this now makes you an "official" Gi owner and member of the Gi Forum, so welcome aboard !

You might be interested in a thread somewhat similar to this one that I have had going with a user who goes by Xtrife. I think we are the three newest Gi owners here. You can find that thread at:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=47214

I think the Gi is a really nice unit that has a lot going for it, but as we have already found, also has some shortcomings that can be totally frustrating. Hopefully, here, we can come up with some workarounds that make living with the thing doable to some extent, anyway.

Looking forward to chatting with you in the future !

Regards,

Ted