Sad to say... I sold my Juno-Gi today :(

Forum for JUNO-Gi
flyingace

Sad to say... I sold my Juno-Gi today :(

Post by flyingace »

In an effort to find something that my teen daughter would find easier to use for song composition, I bought a Korg Krome. She tried for about 3 months to use the Juno but found the instruction manuals hard to read and the workshops too complex for a total beginner. I had the benefit of using keyboards in the 80s, working for recording studios in the 90s and having 28+ years of musical experience, I understood a lot more of the terminology and the complex multi layered menu systems. Plus the drums sequences were too hard to build on the fly. They should have come up withe some templates of styles that you could use as is or tweak quickly with different kit or patterns.

The large touch screen on the Krome makes it much easier to understand. I will miss the look and feel of the Juno, and some of the great Roland sounds. I'll miss the simplicity of recording audio instead of sequencing midi files (ugh).

I never ended up using the audio interface, mic/guitar input, guitar effects, etc. It's just easier to use my amp, pedalboard and my Zoom R24 to do all of that. It was a nice idea to have all that in a very portable battery powered unit, but the fact is, I never had the opportunity in 2 years to use any of it.

The best news is I sold it for $100 over what I paid! So it's all good. I will return to roland again in the future but I feel they need to really work on their "human interface" on all their keyboards!
howardS

Re: Sad to say... I sold my Juno-Gi today :(

Post by howardS »

Hey, you sold it at a profit which is often hard to do with electronic gear which seems to lose value the moment you leave the store. Regarding the UI, there are lots of people who claim that Roland has the best user interface, and others who prefer Yamaha, Korg, Nord.... Anyhow, each piece of gear has to fit the buyer and perhaps the Krome will be a better fit for your daughter. Let us know how the Krome works out.
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

So far the Krome is proving to be "simple" on the outset, really complicated the further in you go. It will be a while til my daughter can really utilize this board. The big touch screen on the Krome does help. I doubt anything out there that is "easy to program" would be good sounding enough or capable enough. I wish I could have kept the Gi at least for the sounds.

The sounds are good, but I really really miss that "Roland" sound. Not many patches on the Krome are even trying to mimic Roland. So I'm now looking for an older Roland Synth like a JD800 or JX-8P.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Personally, I think they all have a level of complication by virtue of the fact that there are a lot of variables and you often need to make a lot of decisions to set up your workflow. I took a few lessons years ago which helped me get started with my XP-60 and it helped alot. And, as I am sure you know, YouTube is also a great resource for this. You may not find something directly on the Krome but there are a lot of videos where people show how they use their gear to write tunes. Perhaps she just needs to see the workflow that others use...just guessing.