patches

Forum for JUNO-Gi
kralskritek

patches

Post by kralskritek »

Hello,
I would like to ask you. Where can i download/buy any patches for this keyboard ?
Thank you
Xtrife

Re: patches

Post by Xtrife »

There is no oficial patch editor for the Juno Gi. So I guess thats why theres no patches anywhere, sadly.
kralskritek

Post by kralskritek »

i dont know, if i asked well... I think, if I can download some sounds to my sd cart or usb memory and use them... Its very confusing, that it doesnt exist any sounds for downloading... or are they ?
Jittakorn

Post by Jittakorn »

It will Perfectly, if the juno Gi could upgrade the sounds. I hope roland will make some application for upgrade sound for juno Gi at soon. ^____________^
Gambler

Post by Gambler »

I can post a backup of my user banks if that makes anyone happy. Here. It has couple orchestral combinations, some mediocre dance/trance things, subjectively "improved" pianos and guitar, synthetic flute that doesn't have that annoying "loop" feel to it, and two ambient patches that I specially like. Oh, and it has the layered electric piano I wrote about here earlier. If anyone downloads this, I would be interested to hear your comments.
Attachments
BACKUP.7z
(5.46 KiB) Downloaded 653 times
Jittakorn

Post by Jittakorn »

Thanks Gambler. I have try already. Loop sound is Great. i like piano sound also. So Thank you very much for these sound.

Do you have any brass sound. For example : Brass sfz sound, Saxophone sound something like that.
I would make the brass sound that have automatic volume from 50 to 127. But I don't know how to modify.
Do you have the sound like this?

Thanks in advance.
/Jittakorn
Gambler

Post by Gambler »

I could try. Can you give me a listenable example of what you want the sounds to be like? (I.e. some song on youtube or soundcloud?)
Jittakorn

Post by Jittakorn »

Hello Gambler
I hear the brass sound at 2:15 of this clip, It similar Brass sfz Sound. I'm trying to make the sound like this. But it seem does not work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9yph_Uh_w8

Thanks in advance ^_^
Gambler

Post by Gambler »

I added two brass sounds. Not exactly what the guy had in the video, but they are a bit more dynamic than the stock ones. Let me know what you think.

Updated some other sounds as well. For one, I made the flute pad sound more like a real flute by varying volume on velocity. (The point of that patch is to get rid of the annoying tremolo effect causes by looped sample in real flute patches. So it's not really meant to be a pad, just a synthesized flute.) Added effects for electric piano. Improved the third orchestral patch a bit by spreading the pan between instruments and switching to a different flute so that it mixes with the rest better.

If there is some interest in this stuff, I can rearrange the sounds, name them a bit better and add categorize them via favorites. I wish Roland had a real patch import-export capability, because backups will override your own settings, so it's not like we can easily combine sounds from multiple backups.
Attachments
BACKUP.7z
Updated soundset
(6.02 KiB) Downloaded 513 times
fddi73

Post by fddi73 »

hi Gambler, which method you use to edit and modify sounds ?
do u use cakewalk or you do it directly from the Gi user panel ?
Gambler

Post by Gambler »

I only use Gi itself for editing and I like it that way. I spend way too much time in front of a computer monitor as is.
realjazzsax

Post by realjazzsax »

I was ready to pull the trigger but the keyboard professional at my local store told me that the GI's patches/sound bank cannot be updated. But now I am reading that you can. What, where, and how do you do this?

thanks!!!
tnicoson

Post by tnicoson »

realjazzsax

Did that keyboard "professional" at your local music store also tell you that the prices of most keyboards that are "update-able" run anywhere from half again as much to twice to two and a half times the price of the Juno-Gi ?

What "gambler" has done is "tweak" some of the existing sounds on his Juno-Gi to improve them over the manufacturer's efforts, then upload them here to share them with the rest of us. In that sense, they would seem like "new" sounds to the rest of us, but are actually just "improved" sounds. There are basically two parts to a keyboard sound - the raw wave sample and the sound envelope shaping parameters. A raw wave sample of a piano won't really sound much like a piano until it is "polished" with the sound envelope shaping parameter circuits. The Juno-Gi (and most other keyboards in its price range) allow the user to edit/modify the sound envelope shaping parameters and saving the result as a user sound, but they do not allow adding new raw wave samples. In that sense, that are not update-able, or more correctly, upgradeable. If your keyboard does not have a didgeridoo raw wave sample, all the tweaking of any of the other sounds will not make a believable sounding didgeridoo. In that sense, the Juno-Gi is not update-able/upgradeable, so those of us with the more reasonably priced boards have to make do with "tweakability", and hoping for a firmware upgrade to allow adding new wave samples is not realistic as this capability requires additional hardware that these boards just do not have.

Hope this helps !

Regards,

Ted
realjazzsax

Post by realjazzsax »

tnicoson wrote:realjazzsax

Did that keyboard "professional" at your local music store also tell you that the prices of most keyboards that are "update-able" run anywhere from half again as much to twice to two and a half times the price of the Juno-Gi ?

What "gambler" has done is "tweak" some of the existing sounds on his Juno-Gi to improve them over the manufacturer's efforts, then upload them here to share them with the rest of us. In that sense, they would seem like "new" sounds to the rest of us, but are actually just "improved" sounds. There are basically two parts to a keyboard sound - the raw wave sample and the sound envelope shaping parameters. A raw wave sample of a piano won't really sound much like a piano until it is "polished" with the sound envelope shaping parameter circuits. The Juno-Gi (and most other keyboards in its price range) allow the user to edit/modify the sound envelope shaping parameters and saving the result as a user sound, but they do not allow adding new raw wave samples. In that sense, that are not update-able, or more correctly, upgradeable. If your keyboard does not have a didgeridoo raw wave sample, all the tweaking of any of the other sounds will not make a believable sounding didgeridoo. In that sense, the Juno-Gi is not update-able/upgradeable, so those of us with the more reasonably priced boards have to make do with "tweakability", and hoping for a firmware upgrade to allow adding new wave samples is not realistic as this capability requires additional hardware that these boards just do not have.

Hope this helps !

Regards,

Ted
Thanks Ted. Your answer is very helpful. The local guy pretty much downgraded the GI to an entry level keyboard due to its price and the inability to have new sounds downloadable via Axial.

I am torn between the GI and the upcoming FA-06/08. The price of the GI is very nice. I am not a professional by any means but i can get around on the board. I used to own a D5 many years ago and I was able to edit the sounds to my liking. Unfortunately i reached the "ceiling" with that board and regretted not buying a D20 or the D50. I sold it and never got a new one. I am primarily a sax player but want to get back to learning the synth. I want a keyboard that will grow with me as I get better. Do you recommend the GI to be such an investment or do you think the FA-06/08 would be a better buy in the long run?

thanks!!!
Gambler

Post by Gambler »

I am torn between the GI and the upcoming FA-06/08.
Juno Gi has many limitations aside from downloading new sounds:
- No proper looping.
- No proper (re)sampling.
- No proper way to share patches.
- No proper pattern sequencer.
- No recording MIDI.
- Knobs and sliders are not assignable.
- You cannot assign control to most parameters on the patch level.
- You cannot write to USB.

There are workarounds for some of these, but they all have some limitations of their own. For example, you can create "loops" by doing repeated copy in the recorder, but it's not real-time and quite labor-intensive. If you're really stubborn, you can try to fake sampling the same way. You can share patches via backups, but they will override existing settings. You can record your own arpeggios, but that requires connecting to a computer.

FA-06 fixes many of these limitation, has improved sounds in many categories, allows you to stack more sounds and has a more sophisticated effects chain. Unless I'm missing something, it's a "strictly better" keyboard in the same price range. (Right now the difference is between official prices is $300, but Gi was more expensive when it came out.)

IMO, the only reasonable way to buy Gi today is to buy it used. (Lately, I'm beginning to feel that the only reasonable way to buy any synth gear is to buy it used or at a huge discount.) In that case the price difference between Gi and FA-06 becomes significant.

If I was buying a Roland keyboard today, knowing what I know today, I would definitely wait for FA-06. (Another rule of mine is to never pre-order any electronics until you can try it or read/watch user reviews.) I'm unlikely to update my Gi, though, because that would cost me ~$600 and I have other synths anyway.

PS: Take a look at OP-1. Not saying "buy it", just take a look at it. OP-1 is not a direct competitor to Gi/FA, not a real keyboard, but it's in the same price range, has some interesting features and its design is superb.

PPS: Since I'm here anyway, here is the latest backup. I added several new patches, tweaked a few of the old ones. Most of the ambient stuff uses joystick and aftertouch/D-Beam for effect control.
Attachments
BACKUP.7z
More patches, updated old patches.
(6.94 KiB) Downloaded 490 times