Juno Gi + Ableton Live

Forum for JUNO-Gi
tranqui67

Juno Gi + Ableton Live

Post by tranqui67 »

Hi, i have a question about Juno Gi Live Set and Presets use in Ableton Live.

In MIDI CTRL mode i can use all presets in ableton but not live sets.

In LIVE SET mode i can use a live set and presets but i lost all the midi controlers (knobs and buttons).

How can i use live sets in MIDI CTRL mode? Is it possible? Or how can i use some effects to modify presets and get a better sound?

Thanks in advance!
tnicoson

Re: Juno Gi + Ableton Live

Post by tnicoson »

tranqui67

See the special "windowed" note entitled "❍About Live Sets and Tones" in the right hand column of Page 1 of the Juno-Gi's MIDI Implementation Manual. Pay particular attention to the statements: "In MIDI controller mode, Tones will be sounded by all MIDI channels. Live Sets will not sound."

If you need a copy of the Juno-Gi MIDI Implementation Manual, you can download a copy from here:

http://media.rolandus.com/manuals/JUNO-Gi_MI.pdf

Typically, MIDI controllers are exactly that - devices that send control messages and do not even have their own sound module for receiving messages. I suspect that Roland took advantage of this with the Juno-Gi in order to dedicate more of its resources to being a controller, while at the same time, being a 16 part multi-timbral sound module. I don't think that leaves much processor resources for managing active Live Sets.

You should also be aware that if your DAW sends a "GM ON' or "GS RESET" message to the Juno-Gi, it will place the Gi into MIDI Controller Mode and Live Sets will not sound.

If you want to play regular TONES from the keyboard, while in Controller Mode, turn the LOCAL switch ON, or to follow Roland's recommendation, leave LOCAL OFF and turn on MIDI THRU in your DAW and let your DAW echo your key presses back to the Gi.
tranqui67

Re: Juno Gi + Ableton Live

Post by tranqui67 »

Hi, thanks for your answer!

I didn't read the midi implementatio manual, sorry...