How to adjust sound 80s EP

Forum for JUNO-Gi
mwtzzz

How to adjust sound 80s EP

Post by mwtzzz »

On the 80s EP tone (patch 036) if I strike the key hard, it creates a different sound that I don't want (a kind of harsh, twangy sound) This different sound is not present at the softer levels. How do I get rid of it? I'd like the tone to be consistent across all velocities.
tnicoson

Re: How to adjust sound 80s EP

Post by tnicoson »

mwtzzz:

I am afraid that you have run brunt up against what many find to be THE greatest short-coming of the Juno-Gi. When you play sounds on the Gi, you play LiveSets, not single tones. Think of a LiveSet as a "container" that can hold up to four tones and play various combinations of them in various ways. The LiveSet is a four tone equivalent of the "performance" on 16-part multi-timbral keyboards. For "playing", this is all a matter of semantics, but when it comes to "editing" it is an entirely different matter. When you edit "sounds" on the Gi, you edit the LIVESET - NOT THE INDIVIDUAL TONES. The individual tones are PRESETS with the various tone parameters "cast" into them, and they can not be changed. The parameters that you change when you edit the tones in a LiveSet merely OFFSET the parameters that are "cast" into the preset tones. The effectiveness of these changes offsetting the preset parameters varies greatly from tone to tone and from parameter to parameter. Notice that I used the term "offset" instead of "override", because they are just not THAT effective. In your case, I had assumed that the velocity switching that brings in the "twang", that you would like to get rid of, was applied entirely at the LiveSet level, so you can imagine my surprise and frustration when I discovered that it is coming completely from the preset tone parameters. I was able to lessen the incidence of switching by changing the LiveSet's velocity response curve to #2, but that did not help much. Adjusting the upper velocity switch point ranged from no sound at all at one end of the adjustment to a tone that switched into cut-off (no sound) at the other end of the adjustment. So, I was not able to come up with anything useable for you. Perhaps one of our other Gi owners will have a solution for you. In the meantime, I can only suggest selecting a similar tone that does not have velocity switching applied to it.

As I said at the outset, the Gi has many critics that consider this a major short-coming, but not for me. I selected the Gi specifically for its presets. This is the only keyboard I have ever owned where I, personally, like most of the presets "as-is", and I think it was users like myself that Roland had as their target market for this keyboard - users who were not really into tone creation or editing, but rather just wanted a good selection of nice presets that they can easily layer and split in sets of four.

Best of luck !

Regards,

Ted
mwtzzz

Re: How to adjust sound 80s EP

Post by mwtzzz »

Ted, thanks for looking into it for me and for taking time to construct your reply. I was beginning to suspect exactly what you said, although I didn't put as much effort into the investigation as you have. This limitation is rather annoying, the twang sound is built-in to several of the presets. For the one preset I mentioned, the cutoff point is 100 velocity - below 100 no twang; above 100 twang. I didn't bother checking the others.