Juno Gi vs Fantom X6 vs Korg Kross 61

Forum for JUNO-Gi
champ1979

Juno Gi vs Fantom X6 vs Korg Kross 61

Post by champ1979 »

I went to Guitar Center today and looked at the Juno Gi and the Korg Kross 61. The sales person felt that the Korg Kross 61 was better than the Gi, but I somewhat felt that the Gi had more realistic sounds. I bought the Gi for $840 after tax, but now am considering other options as well. For a little bit more, I could get the Fantom X6, and I'm also still considering the Kross 61 since the salesman had good things to say about it.

I need a keyboard primary for home studio recording using my DAW, but I think the 8 track sequencer (and the 16 track in the Kross) will be useful to me. However, quality of sound is my priority as I may be using this at a live session occasionally (or practice sessions for recordings), so I thought of the Fantom X6, which seems to get great reviews.

Could someone tell me how these three compare with each other? Or at least the Juno Gi vs the Fantom X6. Should I keep the Juno Gi (or may be return and get a used one for $200 cheaper), or return it and look for a used Fantom X1? Or the Kross?

Thanks!
jimmy

Re: Juno Gi vs Fantom X6 vs Korg Kross 61

Post by jimmy »

If you can wait a little over a month, I recommend returning it and getting the Roland FA-06 once it is released. It is $400 more than the Gi, but it is a much more powerful and flexible workstation and has the SuperNATURAL engine taken from the Integra-7.
champ1979

Post by champ1979 »

Thanks for the advice, Jimmy. I have returned the Juno, will wait for the FA-06.

Browsing over conversations on the web about FA-06, these seem to be the downsides:
1. Lack of an "analog synth" in FA-06
2. No after touch
3. No velocity-sensitive drum pads

I know 2 and 3 are not available in the Juno Gi as well, but as for 1, what is an analog synth? Does the Juno Gi have it? Why do people want it?

Do you think the sounds in the FA-06 will sound as good as in the Juno Gi?
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

I know 2 and 3 are not available in the Juno Gi as well, but as for 1, what is an analog synth? Does the Juno Gi have it?
Analog isn't common in this class of keyboard. Analog is basically "real" synthesis, that is, using circuitry to generate the waveform and shaping it with analog filters, all of which use real electronic components. An example of a recent analog synth is the Korg MS-20 Mini, and the Novation Bass station 2. You will see that these keyboards are just limited to making analog synth sounds, they do not provide all the instrument sounds of a workstation keyboard.

Roland keyboards (right now at least) including the Juno Gi and FA-06 use software to emulate the sound of analog digitally, with varying degrees of success. The FA-06 uses the SuperNATURAL synth technology, which provides a better analog-style sound than the Juno Gi's simpler synth engine. It only really matters if you care deeply about the quality of the synth sounds like Sawtooth Leads, Synth Bass etc.
Why do people want it?
Analog is often said to sound fatter, richer, fuller than digital synthesis. It also does not suffer from "stepping" that virtual synths sometimes have, e.g. when twisting a dial on a digital synth you will hear each "step" of the change. Analog is a smooth fluid adjustment, which can sound better if you adjust the knobs during live performance.
Do you think the sounds in the FA-06 will sound as good as in the Juno Gi?
It will sound better, it is a newer synth engine, with great sounds. The Juno Gi might beat it in one area, guitar effects, since the Gi has a unique large collection of those, but the FA-06 will be better in every other area. I loved the punchiness of the Juno Gi too when I first played it, but you can hear that same punchiness in this FA-06 demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqT0KNR9Pt4
champ1979

Post by champ1979 »

Thank you so much. I just put in my order for the FA 06. Do you have a recommendation for a keyboard amp that's not too big?

Have another question about sequencing. The Juno Gi has a 8 track recorder but no sequencer--which means I can layer 8 different recordings in my keyboard and port it to my DAW, where they will be 8 audio tracks (right?). In a sequencer, I could do the same, but rather than 8 audio tracks, they would be 8 midi tracks, right? Do people (who create music) normally find the sequencer more useful?

I guess you could hook up the Juno to the DAW and then sequence it that way, but I do see a benefit in creating all the 8 midi tracks on the keyboard and then importing all them at once to the DAW. Just wondering if my thinking is correct.
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

Really depends how you make music. If you compose music as notes with MIDI, then the FA sequencer is going to be more useful as you can tweak and fine tune all the individual notes, and if you're not the best performer, quantize (snap notes to the beat grid). If you're in a band and do a lot of jamming/improv stuff for example, recording audio might be more handy for you.

But yes, on the FA-06 you can record tracks in the same way from the keyboard itself as midi. Here's another demo which shows that functionality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYBcosbuJj0

As for a keyboard amp, I personally run all my gear into a mixing desk with two KRK Rokit 5s (powered monitors). The Rokits are great as they have XLR, Balanced Mono and RCA inputs so they're very flexible, but you may find something else suits your needs.
champ1979

Post by champ1979 »

I ordered a used Juno Gi. Couldn't wait for the FA 06 to come out. Oh well, I can always sell this and get the FA 06 when it does come out.

Question on keyboard amps. Why is there an XLR input? Is that meant for the keyboard, or something else like a vocal mic? Assuming keyboards don't have XLR audio outs, right?
cminor

Post by cminor »

Yes, for microphone.
And that because, some organ players have more then one keyboard and some of them have special fx.
Like rotary...
And the player can capture with a mic from that keyboard autoamplification system, the sound.
Or of course, the keyboard is singing with the voice too.
But I have friends that use a mic to capture the sound of some keyboards that have their own amplification, putting the mic at the keyboard speakers. That friend have an old piano. It's sounds is special, give him a particular time travel ;)
Xtrife

Post by Xtrife »

What about the Fantom X vs the Juno Gi? In terms of sound quality. I'm just wondering because I've been thinking of selling my Juno Gi and i happen to have a fauly Fantom XR module. How would those two compare as far as sound quality and editing capabilities go? I know the fantom x is a bit dated, but i just mainly use realistic instument sounds (not many electronic / analog patches or any of that).
cminor

Post by cminor »

I don't know about the Gi, but I've tested Juno-D and my FantomXR (then, now I got X7).
The Fantom XR sounded more rounded, much more...
It had a fullness, I don't know much english to express my self.
The natural basses, piano, and sounds that have harmonics, were much powerfull and also crystal clear.
The Juno-D was a little fade comparing to FantomXR.
But..
There is a BUT...
The Fantom-XR is HARD to work with in live situations.
I made performances for live, because, it has much little button and menu>submenu to change something in live.
So I admit, I love the sounds, but hate the menu (on Fantom-XR)
That why I sold it and get the Fantom-X7.
Still I want to but the SRX-06 , 07 and 09.