Using it with a sequencer clarification

Forum for JUNO-Gi
rrt4

Using it with a sequencer clarification

Post by rrt4 »

Hi,

So today I purchased a second hand juno gi. I primarily work in ableton live and I intended on using the keyboard so that it records the midi notes and then plays the sounds.

Is it possible to play more than one Live Set List Instrument (two midi channels) from a DAW to the juno gi?
If so, how many are possible?
If possible, how is this configured?

From my research, it looks like the following:
1430 Live set list (81 special ones, 42 drums)
467 Tones (instruments)
55 GM (GM2) (instruments)
14 GM (GM2) Rhythm set list (drums)

Thanks.
tnicoson

Re: Using it with a sequencer clarification

Post by tnicoson »

rrt4

From the standpoint of an external sequencer or DAW, the Juno-Gi would appear to be a dual personality device. When it is in "MIDI Controller" mode, it is locked into a 16-part multi-timbral device mode and acts as the standard sound module we have grown used to through the years. While in this mode, access to all LiveSets is disabled - both from the keybed and via MIDI. When it is NOT in "MIDI Controller" mode, it appears as a "one 4-tone LiveSet plus 12 "other tones" device, with the LiveSet being accessible from either the keybed or via MIDI. The MIDI "MAIN" Channel would play the two UPPER LiveSet tones, while the MIDI "SUB" Channel would play the two LOWER LiveSet tones. In a very strict sense, this makes it a 14-part multi-timbral device: one pair of UPPER LiveSet tones (using one MIDI channel - the "MAIN"), one pair of LOWER LiveSet tones (using one MIDI channel - the "SUB"), plus 12 "other" individual tones using 12 other MIDI channels for a total of 14. ONLY ONE LiveSet (TOTAL) can be active (accessible) at a time. You can not access one LiveSet from the keybed while simultaneously accessing a different LiveSet via MIDI, and you can not access more than one LiveSet at a time via MIDI. See the "Setting the Receive Channel" section on Page 134 of the Juno-Gi Owner's Manual for selection of the MIDI "MAIN" and "SUB" Channels. Also see the "Behavior upon reception of GM System On or GS Reset" notice at the bottom of the right hand column on Page 134, which states that receipt of a GM/GS reset MIDI message switches the Juno-Gi into "MIDI Controller" mode and disables access to all LiveSets. This is important, as some DAW software programs (and most MIDI files) automatically send a GM/GS reset at the start of a song, unless they are specifically set up not to do so.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Ted
rrt4

Post by rrt4 »

I appreciate the long answer, I think in short what I understand is, I can have 16 unique instruments via GM/GM2 at the same time. But in Live Set it has 4x live set instruments (two instruments on the lower keys [main], and two instruments on the upper keys [sub]) and you mention the 12 tones.

The 'tones' you mention - are these the normal midi tones as outlined in the sound list PDF?
Can they be unique instruments?
How are they accessed via the DAW?

Am I able to make new 'user/custom' instruments in the midi control mode?

Thanks.
tnicoson

Post by tnicoson »

When it is in the 16-part multi-timbral MIDI Controller mode, the Juno-Gi defaults to the GM voice set, like most keyboards manufactured in the past 10 to 15 years. This is to make it , by default, compatible with the majority of downloadable and after market MIDI files without having to edit them. However, by installing a Juno-Gi specific "instrument definition file" in your DAW software, or by ad hoc embedding the proper MSB/LSB codes in the proper place for each MIDI track, the DAW will select the high quality banks and voices. The procedure for this varies from DAW to DAW and should be listed in the DAW software manual under "voice bank and program change selection" or something similar. The same applies to the 12 "other" voices when using the Juno-Gi in "LiveSet" mode. When playing the Juno-Gi in LiveSet mode with the external sequencer or DAW playing the backing tracks, you will normally want to control realtime switching of LiveSets manually from the front panel, but this can be done remotely from the external sequencer or DAW by sending the proper LiveSet LSB/MSB bank and program change messages on the MAIN MIDI channel. The same data sent on the SUB MIDI channel will be ignored. You can not use MIDI to select the UPPER tones from one LiveSet and the LOWER tones from a different LiveSet. LiveSets must be selected in complete 4-tone units.

Backing track MIDI sets made with an external sequencer or DAW can be saved to MIDI files and copied to the USB flash drive and played back as "accompaniment" with the Juno-Gi's onboard MIDI file player, while playing LiveSets as "lead" instruments, avoiding the need to have it connected to a computer or other external device just for backing tracks.

While you can edit/save the existing pre-set LiveSets or create/save totally new LiveSets by selecting their tones, parameters, and effects, you CAN NOT edit, create, or install the four tones that make up the LiveSets. For those, you are limited to using the pre-set factory tones. Many see this as the major limiting factor of the Juno-Gi. Likewise, there is no tone editor/librarian software for the Juno-Gi and DAW software is not really designed to substitute as editor/librarians as this type of software must be specifically written for the target hardware.