Connected guitar to it, big latency

Forum for JUNO-Gi
rrt4

Connected guitar to it, big latency

Post by rrt4 »

Hi,

I have windows 7 and I've been running the juno gi for a couple days now. The midi I'm not having issues with, however when I connect the guitar to the standard port at the back, I can play the guitar and the sound goes through the computer speakers as expected and I can choose what effects I have. The issue is, there's a very large latency. It's connected via USB.

How do I get this quicker? I have an i5 computer with 16gb ram, so I don't think processing power is the issue here. Just to clarify: The guitar connects to juno gi > juno gi to computer via USB > and then I just play the guitar without nay software loaded up and works, however the delay is still evident (with or without daw)

Thanks.
tnicoson

Re: Connected guitar to it, big latency

Post by tnicoson »

Any latency you are experiencing would be coming from your computer, as the Juno-Gi is a zero latency device. Audio latency in a computer is normally a function of the audio drivers. Typically you would want to be using ASIO drivers as opposed to WDM or MME drivers, which have higher latency. Then, once you decide to go with ASIO drivers, you may need to shop around a bit to find what works best with your particular computer's hardware. It is best to start with your audio interface manufacturer's drivers. In your case, that would be Roland, as the Juno-Gi is acting as your audio interface when you connect your guitar. If you have not installed the Juno-Gi audio drivers, you need to download and install them. If that does not help, download and install ASIO4ALL drivers from the ASIO4ALL website. They are good all around generic drivers that usually work with just about everything. If that still does not work, you will need to do web searches and hit the audio forums for additional advice on what might work. I am currently running Sonar X1 with ASIO4ALL drivers on an HP Pavilion with 64 bit Windows Vista and am having no latency problems.

Another alternative would be to provide the Juno-Gi with its own amp and speakers and take full advantage of its zero latency. You could still do this using your computer's speakers by connecting the Juno-Gi's L-&-R output jacks to your computer sound card's line-in jacks with the proper adapter cables. This keeps the audio signal out of the USB circuits.

Good luck !

Regards,

Ted