Using a patch from the Juno Gi in the DAW when in Midi mode

Forum for JUNO-Gi
champ1979

Using a patch from the Juno Gi in the DAW when in Midi mode

Post by champ1979 »

I've connected my Roland Juno Gi to my PC via a USB cable, and I'm able to record both audio and the keyboard sounds in my DAW (I'm using Mixcraft). However, if I record the track as a MIDI track, then I am currently unable to select one of the built in patches as my MIDI track's instrument. I have to choose one of the VST instruments that's loaded in Mixcraft.

I'm wondering if it's possible to choose the keyboard's instrument in my DAW. For example, I have Sitar selected on my Roland...I'm wondering if I can select Sitar as my instrument in my DAW (or any of the 1000 or instrument that come with the Roland).
tnicoson

Re: Using a patch from the Juno Gi in the DAW when in Midi m

Post by tnicoson »

Your problem is a function of your DAW software. It should allow you the option of inserting a VST instrument for a particular track or allowing that track to default to the external MIDI instrument or sound module (Juno-Gi) declared in the DAW's MIDI set up menu. You would need to supply that particular track with the correct LSB/MSB bank/program-change codes for selecting the appropriate sound on the external MIDI device (Juno-Gi) or install the correct "instrument definition" file (for a Juno-Gi) in your DAW that would send those codes for you. Then you would need to set up the Juno-Gi to accept MIDI note data and bank/program-change messages on those particular track(s)/channel(s). I would recommend reading through the MIDI set up instructions for both your DAW and for the Juno-Gi.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I downloaded a copy of Mixcraft this evening to see if I could give you a little better advice, but to my surprise (and dismay), I discovered that while it will receive MIDI signals from external devices (keyboards), it will only transmit MIDI signals to its own internal VST instruments. It was apparently designed to work with soundless MIDI controller keyboards. If you want to play MIDI files from a DAW to the sounds (voices) in your Juno-Gi, you will need to select a different DAW. To get you going quickly without further financial outlay, I would suggest Anvil Studio freeware. It is a bit limited, but still workable, with audio tracks and is fairly full featured when it comes to MIDI tracks, except that the freeware version only allows access to the GM voice bank of the Juno-Gi. You would need to purchase their Pro-Mix accessory in order to access the high quality voice banks of the Juno-Gi, or any connected synth, for that matter. You can always upgrade to a more full-featured DAW at some point in the future. You can download Anvil Studio from:

http://anvilstudio.com/

Too bad about Mixcraft. I liked its user interface. Had it not been for that MIDI limitation, I may have purchased a copy.

If you need assistance getting things going with the Juno-Gi and Anvil Studio or another DAW, give a shout.

Good luck !

Regards,

Ted
champ1979

Re: Using a patch from the Juno Gi in the DAW when in Midi m

Post by champ1979 »

Ted, thanks a lot for your effort and recommendation. I'll look in to anvil and also possibly other options. I have been using Mixcraft for almost 6 years now as I love it's minimal interface, so it's a bummer that I may have to move.