using juno gi as a submixer live

Forum for JUNO-Gi
morganellington

using juno gi as a submixer live

Post by morganellington »

I got a used juno gi. I had to send it back as it had a few non working functions, but I really liked the board and plan on buying a new one soon.
I'd like to use it a submixer on stage. I play guitar some of the time and sing a lot, so I use a little allen and heath mixer and send one line to the main mixer. (we run our own sound from the stage.) So the Juno with its mic input and line inputs with their own level controls seem like a godsend. However, the main keyboard volume control also affects the microphone level. Any GI owners know of a way to bypass this? I'd like to be able to turn up the keys for solos, different patch levels, etc, without changing the vocal level or guitar level.
The guitar goes XLR out from my effect pedal into the submixer. Should work into a "line in" even if level is a bit low as I can set the level high at the effect pedal.

Bringing keyboard (or 2), stand, mic and mic stand, guitar, effect pedal, wireless unit, and submixer is just too much stuff and anything I can do to simplify my setup is very welcome.
Morgan
tnicoson

Re: using juno gi as a submixer live

Post by tnicoson »

Morgan

I see that you responded to "Champ's" question about splitting the Gi's keyboard. Do I take it from that that you have obtained another Gi and if so, did you resolve your question about using it as a mixer ?

Regards,

Ted
morganellington

I did get another one . . . in better shape and 30 dollars cheaper to boot! I am going to check out the submixer possibilities this weekend and I'll post what I find. I think I may be able to assign each thing
1 keys
2 guitar
3 vocals

to its own mixer channel and control volumes with the mixer track sliders. crossing my fingers!
morganellington

This doesn't quite work like I'd hoped. The mixer sliders only affect the playback of your recorded tracks (except for the rhythm pattern). The actual input still comes through the main volume knob at whatever level you set with the gain knob on the rear.

So I don't think I can run vocals through the keyboard. However, I could run the guitar through it with no problem. I switch off the wireless transmitter on the guitar when I put it down to play a keyboard song, so raising the main volume knob on the keyboard for a solo won't matter.
The lead singer dug up a direct box with two inputs, so I can run the guitar amp output and the juno into there and that'll cut down on cables enough for me I guess.

p.s. - I'm thrilled with the capabilities of this board. We do this Michael Stanley song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNYVi0rqQb0 that has a portamento synth lead intro and an important piano part in the chorus. I could get a synth sound and a piano sound with my old setup, but neither sound filled in under the guitar lead very well. So I programmed a three part split with the piano on the top, the synth in the middle and the bottom octave and a half set aside for an organ that basically is a stand in for the second guitar.