HELP "Juno Gi on iPad"

Forum for JUNO-Gi
Benjaminx23

HELP "Juno Gi on iPad"

Post by Benjaminx23 »

Hi, I bought Juno gi few months ago and I want to use my iPad 3 with it. So i bought a camera conection kit and the usb cable. Unfortunately, I can't get it to work. I am trying to use garage band app but it doesn't detect or anything.Should I swtich on something on my Juno in order to get it to work? I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me.
tnicoson

Re: HELP "Juno Gi on iPad"

Post by tnicoson »

Benjamin

The iPad does not allow for the installation/loading of 3rd party/aftermarket hardware interface "drivers" like a MAC or PC. When it comes to connecting external MIDI devices (keyboards, sound modules, etc), the iPad's operating system (iOS) does have built-in generic USB-MIDI drivers, but any connected devices must be either CORE-MIDI (Apple) or FULLY CLASS (MS Windows) COMPLIANT and will work with the iOS built-in generic ("NATIVE") drivers. Sadly, the Juno-Gi is/does neither, which is surprising, as the Juno-Di, Jupiter-50/80, and I believe several models of the Fantom line, are compatible. You will need a USB-MIDI adapter, such as the Roland UM-1EX:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/732

Its flat USB connector attaches to the iPad Camera Connector Kit's USB port and its two round connecters attach to the Juno-Gi's MIDI-IN/OUT ports. If you go with some other adapter, you need to make sure that it is CORE-MIDI or FULLY-CLASS COMPLIANT (also referred to as "OS native driver support").

The Juno-Gi will transmit audio data via the USB cable, but for that, I have found the wireless adapter much handier, as it supports two-way audio. I have only ever been successful at transmitting one-way audio toward the iPad with the physical USB cable, but for me, external audio recording is really not all that much of a necessity with the Gi, because of its internal 8 track recorder. When I do record externally, I use the wireless adapter with Roland's Air Recorder app. It has a hugh RECORD START/STOP button right in the middle of the iPad's screen that is hard to miss, and then it plays back through the Gi to whatever audio system you have the Gi connected to.

Good luck !

Regards,

Ted
Benjaminx23

Re: HELP "Juno Gi on iPad"

Post by Benjaminx23 »

Thank you for your detailed response! Saved me hours of figuring out why it was not working. Now I understand.