Playing bass sounds on same key sounds slightly different

Forum for JUNO-Gi
thebog

Playing bass sounds on same key sounds slightly different

Post by thebog »

I've been searching and searching for an answer, maybe I'm just typing the wrong thing, I don't know. I'm playing bass on my juno gi and there is a small, but noticeable difference in sound when playing the same note over and over. Sometimes it sounds kinda like a pluck or a slap and sometimes not. I don't know its hard to explain. If you try it with like the piano it sounds like the same tone every time and everything just fine. Its just this bass. Especially when playing faster notes and different rhythms with the same note. Any ideas folk?

Thanks.

Forgot to mention, I have the velocity set to 100% as well so the bass always as loud as it can be no matter how hard/soft I hit the key.
wakerickman

Re: Playing bass sounds on same key sounds slightly differen

Post by wakerickman »

hi had simerler problem and soved it. it could be that the bass sound your useing has a small omount of lfo osc modulation on it ie vibrato/tremalo/filterwah [witch is cycline an oscalater]. check that all modulation [lfo] sources [and for bass you shouldnt have any modulation, should be compleatly straight/flat] are set to zero output send intensity, or bass sound modulation input intensitys are set to zero also check that there is no "analouge feal" or detune between 2 or more oscilaters if your usesing 2 or more oscalaters in the bass patch.also if you have an envolope anywere make sure it /they are/ is set to retriger on every [poly] keystrock. also dont forget to check that ther are no effcts like chorus/flanger/phaser on the bass patch as that could also cause same problem, try those surgestions and see if that solves yor problem cheers wakerickman
thebog

Post by thebog »

Well, I've been at it for hours and I still cant figure it out. Far as I can tell I've tried everything you suggested. I don't suppose you have a juno-gi? If you do, just put it on "Fingered Bs4" and hit a higher note repeatedly and you'll hear the tone change. Then tell me how to fix it lol. I don't know, I've tried turning everything off and on, this and that and cant get anything to work. I've tried comparing it with other sounds that do not change tone when repeatedly pressed, like "Mega Bass" but I can't seem to figure out what's different in the settings. I found a random pitch bend setting that you can adjust that seems like it should be the problem, but I set it to 0 and it still does it. I'm about to Karate chop this thing!
thebog

Post by thebog »

Well I sent and email to Roland and to my surprise, they responded!

Thanks for the email - we have confirmed the behavior you mentioned on the "Fingered Bs 4" tone. It sounds like there is some deeper Tone level setting that is causing this random amount of change (it sounds like this is in filter settings to us). Unfortunately, the Juno-Gi does not have a separate computer editor or any way to dig more deeply into the individual tone editing, so there is not a way to stop this effect on these particular sounds. We would recommend using a different bass tone if you need to have a more similar tone while playing (without the slight random changes).

Best Regards,

Product Support
Roland Corp. U.S.

So seems like I'm out of luck. Anyone know of a good bass sound with settings? If not looks like I gotta buy another board, bummer...
Namromasika

Post by Namromasika »

I believe it has something to watch than it is to have something that looks good.