LFOs - they control many internal sounds

Forum for JUNO-Gi
Gambler

LFOs - they control many internal sounds

Post by Gambler »

I just realized that a lot of morphing and pulsing sounds on the keyboard are not sampled or controlled by some mysterious inner parameter, but rather modified by one of the two LFOs. So you can change their rates. Sometimes they are just filter sweeps or panning, so you can disable them by turning the corresponding LFO parameter all the way down. This is weird, because you can't see the initial setting. It's sort of like offset.

Hm, it sounds like Juno Gi's internal sound engine is far more complicated than it seems. We just don't have the interface to control it in most cases.

Some sounds are clearly more complicated than the visible parameters would allow, yet controllable in a way that indicates they aren't just fancy samples.

I wonder whether there is some way to beat the system. Especially when it comes to routing. The only routable controls I found are modulation and after-touch. You can route them to any of the four patch parameters. However, that menu has dozens of other MIDI CCs.
kmtaylor

Re: LFOs - they control many internal sounds

Post by kmtaylor »

Everything that is visible in the edit pages can be realtime controlled by Sysex.

I've written a small application that can remap arbitrary midi controls to the Gi's sysex parameters:
https://github.com/kmtaylor/gi_editor

Have a look at src/translator.c

The mappings from midi controller to Sysex are hard coded, but easy to modify. I was to lazy to write a configuration file reader!
Gambler

Post by Gambler »

What do you mean by "remap", specifically?

I really need to download your app and maybe contribute something, but it's hard to break through my dislike of C...
kmtaylor

Post by kmtaylor »

By remap, I mean that it will translate midi CC inputs into Sysex messages.

Haha - C's not that bad is it! You probably won't need to change much, just the tables that sepcify the CC values and the Sysex values.

At the moment it is set up to work with a Korg NanoKontrol 2.

What OS are you using?
Gambler

Post by Gambler »

I have a laptop with Linux Mint for stuff that requires Linux.

Sorry for super-long response time.

I really should to take a vacation to do a bunch of minor software projects...
kmtaylor

Post by kmtaylor »

That'll do nicely. If your keen to have a go, PM me and I'll be more than happy to help out if something isn't working.