Stand alone VST players

Talk about anything here
Synthtron

Stand alone VST players

Post by Synthtron »

I wonder if there will ever be a keyboard controller that will be able to host VSTs as a stand alone player.
The only current device that is stand alone which is just a box but would be cool if Akai and other manufacturers would make a keyboard with solid state materials to play back and control VSTs like Arturia jupiter-8V, Prophet-V, etc.

The System-1 and its plugout idea was an unexpected step by Roland. Would be nice to see them expand this concept too. I could see a new synth with 61 keys that could run multiple plug outs at once.
Macska

Re: Stand alone VST players

Post by Macska »

You know, NI made a keyboard that had some sort of support system for their VST plugins that came out recently. The VS 700 has a 12 knob/3 scene/4 page system that automaps itself to most plugins and shows the text and values on the display. And then we have the plugout system that actually takes a plugin and makes it portable, plus the boxes you mention which are basically modified computers.

I wonder if it's the fact that everyone already has a cheap portable computer that can run plugins or if it is simply difficult to do? Because surely companies see the market potential here!

I would fall in love with a keyboard that ran plugins with a hands on interface rivaling a JP 8000 like no other! Like, if it had a LED display above every knob that would tell you what parameter is being mapped to that knob. AHHH! If there is a company to watch for this, Arturia probably is the one. That company has been making me very happy lately.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

I like the Arturia VST synths, I have the Arp-2600 V, Prophet V and Jupiter-8V.
I would love to have them inside of my keyboard synth instead of a computer. I would like to add the VST Korg Wavestation to my synths.
nickster

Post by nickster »

Arturia made their own origin keyboard and desktop which basically hosts their plugins perhaps this might be of interest.
https://www.arturia.com/products/hardwa ... in-desktop