VR730 - just a stretched VR09?

Talk about anything here
mo2cv

VR730 - just a stretched VR09?

Post by mo2cv »

Hi all,
I just noticed that Roland has updated their product lineup and included the VR-730. (Intentionally misspelled in the subject to make this post search friendly).
My question is: What's new? It seems to be very similar to the VR-09 in almost every way, except for a new keybed with 73 instead of 61 keys. Also, it has retro looking knobs and pieces of wood at the end. The price however seems to be almost double what I paid for my VR-09. I have been missing another octave, and I quite like the VR-09, so it is tempting, but not at that price. Are there any other reasons for replacing my VR-09 with a new VR-730?
milesy_boy

Re: VR730 - just a stretched VR09?

Post by milesy_boy »

Hi there, I'm thinking about buying the VR09, how do you find it? The organ side of it looks great but how are the string and synth sounds on it, just looking for a cheaper keyboard at present as my Yamaha motif has packed in!
mo2cv

Post by mo2cv »

Hi milesy_boy,
Thinking about it, I would actually say I have to consider the VR-09 my favourite board, at least measured in playtime. Because of the light weight and complete range of sounds it is often my go-to-board when I just want one.

I would not say that the strings and synths are the strongest parts, but they are OK, especially considered the price of the whole package. The organ is fantastic. I use this board mostly for organ and strings, and some piano parts.

For comparison: My other gear consists of a Roland FA-08, which is a beast of a machine, but heavy and big, a Nord Electro 5d 61 which of course is better than the VR-09 in many ways, but at the same time it falls short on the ease of use. Also I have a Korg RK100S keytar, which has cool synth sounds, but it's hard to find the right use for it.

As always - try before you buy if you have the chance, but I'd say go for it. I think it makes a good deal!
rvdh190

Post by rvdh190 »

Hi, I recently replaced a Kurzweil by a VR-730 as bottom board (weight factor), having a Hammond XK-1c on top. Both go through a KC990. I mus admit: wow, Roland hit it with this keyboard. Organ is on par with my Hammond but the key action is even better. Piano sounds are great and pads/strings extremely usable.
I had a Nord Electro 3 in the past. Key action, organ sound and lack of pitch bend made me look elsewhere.
dvco

Post by dvco »

[quote="mo2cv"]Hi milesy_boy,
For comparison (with the VR-730): My other gear consists of a Roland FA-08, which is a beast of a machine, but heavy and big...
[/qote]
Perhaps mo2cv or someone could comment about how the keyboard action of the VR-730 compares to the FA-08 or other syntths. I've never liked the action on the recent FA series as they feel mushy to m. I use either a weighted piano/keybaord, e.g., RD2000, or a synth with little or no weighting to the keys, e.g., old Roland JD, Jupiter series. I am hoping that the VR-730 has more of a synth fast action w.o weighting or feeling mushy as you depress the key downward to its maximum excursion. Thanks for any info.