Did Roland just D-day us all?

Talk about anything here
apex

Re: Did Roland just D-day us all?

Post by apex »

at limbo that's basically what I mean though... why shell out the money for a workstation when 75% or more of its calling card is the sounds... when you don't even plan to use the sounds. lol
mojkarma

Post by mojkarma »

Devnor wrote:Fantom isn't a sampler in the classic sense and never will be. Think about this for a moment. It has 1.75GB memory. If you load that up with some old MKS20 piano samples you won't have any space to use the loop features. The kronos has 30Gb SSD about 17X the size of fantom memory and by most accounts, it's too small. Montage flash memory will only hold a few instruments. The Chick Corea EP is 500Mb+ If sampling is that important to your gig you either add a sampler to your fantom or move on to something else.
It is obviously that you don't work with samplers and samples generally.
Just because there is a Chick Corea EP being 500 Mb in size doesn't mean that the Montage flash memory will only hold a few instruments. Please, do reconsider what you write or, better yet, do not comment on things you don't really understand how they work. An excellent trumpet sample is nowhere near the 500 Mb mark. The stellar Symphony of Voices Samples from Eric Persing have fantastic choirs where no multisample exceeds the size of 32 Mb. In short, there are countless samples which do not require more than a few Mb. The Kurzweil K2000 was famous for its ability of loading samples and it had only 64 Mb. Compare that to the Fantom or Montage.
That simply means that all three, Fantom, Montage and especially the Kronos have more than enough space to hold those multisamples of sounds which are not covered by the factory ROM. No need to recommend adding a sampler which BTW doesn't even exist these days on the market.
And BTW, I'd really like to hear from you which sampler would you recommend these days to the people as an add on???? There are no samplers these days to my knowledge.
Fourfiftyfour

Post by Fourfiftyfour »

As a Kronos,Triton and ASR-10 owner I gotta say multi-sampling is a necessity. If you will...there's nothing like sampling your own instruments or whatever then having access to a powerful engine to mold it into what you want it to be. I learned my bid on the Triton so many ways to flip a single sound and get more mileage out of the keyboard when the stock sounds get old,tired & dated. Roland missed and opportunity on the Fantom. It's one less feature it should have that would make it compete with the others on the market.

If it's like a Nord or something sure whatever I brought it for the stock sounds not sampling features so it's alright if it doesn't' have it but a FLAGSHIP workstation keyboard? It should have everything & the kitchen sink included with it. Paying $3 Grand for a workstation with no multi-sample ability in 2019 IS A JOKE! This ain't the 90's anymore you can't be messing around with features and skipping out on stuff people notice that.
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

Fourfiftyfour wrote:As a Kronos,Triton and ASR-10 owner I gotta say multi-sampling is a necessity.
Why not continue to use your Kronos as sampler?
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

I use a Kronos 2 as my sampler :)

I'm not sure you've thought this through. You'll get your sampler out of Roland then same folks will complain there's not enough storage. 30Gb was a limitation for Kronos owners 7 years ago. The sampler is the simplest thing to replace...we all work very differently. There's ipad apps, the mighty Kronos and all those old workstations, even things like Akai S5000 you can't give away.
mojkarma wrote: It is obviously that you don't work with samplers and samples generally.
Just because there is a Chick Corea EP being 500 Mb in size doesn't mean that the Montage flash memory will only hold a few instruments. Please, do reconsider what you write or, better yet, do not comment on things you don't really understand how they work. An excellent trumpet sample is nowhere near the 500 Mb mark. The stellar Symphony of Voices Samples from Eric Persing have fantastic choirs where no multisample exceeds the size of 32 Mb. In short, there are countless samples which do not require more than a few Mb. The Kurzweil K2000 was famous for its ability of loading samples and it had only 64 Mb. Compare that to the Fantom or Montage.
That simply means that all three, Fantom, Montage and especially the Kronos have more than enough space to hold those multisamples of sounds which are not covered by the factory ROM. No need to recommend adding a sampler which BTW doesn't even exist these days on the market.
And BTW, I'd really like to hear from you which sampler would you recommend these days to the people as an add on???? There are no samplers these days to my knowledge.
Fourfiftyfour

Post by Fourfiftyfour »

Devnor wrote:
Fourfiftyfour wrote:As a Kronos,Triton and ASR-10 owner I gotta say multi-sampling is a necessity.
Why not continue to use your Kronos as sampler?
I started out with a Triton 20 years ago then got my Kronos 2 and then my ASR10. The Kronos is a futuristic monster of a sampler with that new era high def quality and the ASR-10 is a retro monster of a sampler with a buttery sound. My Kronos basically replaced my Triton for me in some aspects but like an old friend you never get rid of them or stop hanging out with them.
mojkarma

Post by mojkarma »

Devnor wrote:I use a Kronos 2 as my sampler :)

I'm not sure you've thought this through. You'll get your sampler out of Roland then same folks will complain there's not enough storage. 30Gb was a limitation for Kronos owners 7 years ago. The sampler is the simplest thing to replace...we all work very differently. There's ipad apps, the mighty Kronos and all those old workstations, even things like Akai S5000 you can't give away.
mojkarma wrote: It is obviously that you don't work with samplers and samples generally.
We are talking about the fact that the new Fantom doesn't have the ability to load multisamples (yet again thanks to Roland inability to offer the same functions as the competition does for the last 25 years) and not about what can be used instead.
I'm not happy about this situation because Roland abandoned itself from the markte with those ridiculous limitations and left as with only two, three companies (Yamaha, Korg and maybe Kurzweil). This is not good for a healthy competition and that is why Korg can overuse its Kronos line offering each year new colors instead of new functions.
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

mojkarma wrote: We are talking about the fact that the new Fantom doesn't have the ability to load multisamples (yet again thanks to Roland inability to offer the same functions as the competition does for the last 25 years) and not about what can be used instead.
Yeah it's been over a decade since they built anything with true sampling yet they are still here. The more I use Fantom the less likely I think there will be a sampler with enough features to make everyone happy. You'll be loading samples from USB constantly and the machine will be full of broken scenes - because required samples aren't loaded for the particular scene. There's a dozen other solutions, stuff we all probably own. It would be cool if they had SSD drive, user upgrade-able of course and a great sampling tools. But at what cost? The machine is already very expensive.
kday

Post by kday »

Devnor wrote:Fantom isn't a sampler in the classic sense and never will be.
Actually Roland says they plan on upgrading and adding multi-sampling capability in the future.
cello

Post by cello »

kday wrote:
Devnor wrote:Fantom isn't a sampler in the classic sense and never will be.
Actually Roland says they plan on upgrading and adding multi-sampling capability in the future.
Yes, multi-sampling is definitely coming.