Storing synths in outdoor building

Talk about anything here
Skijumptoes

Storing synths in outdoor building

Post by Skijumptoes »

Hi all,

Just wondered what people's opinion is on this, currently moving all my recording setup to a static caravan i have in the garden. it does get cold during the winter months, but it never seems particularly damp. i.e. there's never a mist on the equipment when i run my hand across it.

When i'm in there i will be using a small heater to heat the room, and again, once i put heat in there it doesnt appear to condensate on the equipment.

I have got an SH-201, Juno G, 2 Guitars and other bits and bobs to put in there and i'm really apprehensive incase the cold causes them problems. Obviously, the idea is to have a studio i can just switch on, and switch off when i'm finished without having to unpack/pack gear each time.

Any thoughts on my best options here? i'm 90% just going to put them in and hope for the best. Hopefully someone else has been using equipment in similar conditions and had no problems?
Sprockett

Re: Storing synths in outdoor building

Post by Sprockett »

I don't know what the tolerance is on synths and other electronics, but when I saw you mentioned two guitars I got worried.

Guitars hate cold/hot temperatures and they react poorly to quick changes in temp as well. Over time, wood can warp (mostly the neck on electrics, the whole thing on acoustics) and no adjustment will ever make it the same again. It really depends on how big the temperature changes would be, but I thought you should know the danger so you can take precautions, especially if the guitars were a big investment, financial and/or emotional.

Here's a link to a page about it on the Guitar Setup Guide. The rest of the site has some good info too if you're into that.

http://www.guitarsetupguide.com/protect-your-guitar-fro...

Good luck with your studio's new home.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Have to agree with Sprockett, leaving guitars in that environment is a really bad idea. A little humidity and atmosphere is all good to flavor the wood, but that is over many many years. I don't think you'll necessarily damage the wood to the point your neck snaps, but you'll certainly have problems with tuning and intonation. It's bloody winter no less. Store them in the house, as it's far more stable, and only take them out once the shed is warm if you have to.

Electronics are slightly more impervious to temperature fluctuation, but if you're near a coast, salt water in the air will corrode your pots much much faster. I would imagine that is whether you can actually feel the condensation or not. No doubt it's there.

All in all, the caravan sounds cool but I doubt your instruments will feel the same about it. What's a caravan?
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Thanks for that guys.

Must admit I wasn't really concerned about the guitars but now I am, my main guitar hasn't lost tuning since I have had it in there which is probably a good sign but I am going to be cautious.

I was most concerned about my Juno g as I know screens have been a problem for many users and didn't want to increase my chances.

Gonna have a look at that link.

And the caravan is a bit like how I would imagine trailer park trash to live, it just seemed ideal for recording! :)
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

haha, no lack of atmosphere there, but does your caravan still have wheels?

On the Juno bit, maybe it is best to just pray. ;-)
jcthemc

Post by jcthemc »

just a word of advice about this scenario...

basically cold temperatures do not specifically affect hardware.. its the fluctuations from cold to hot and back again... any piece of hardware that is cold will gather condensation on in as the air around it warms this is a natural event that happens all the time... its because the moisture in the air becomes more dense when it comes in contact with a cold surface.

The problem is when you turn on your equipment or when you turn on the heat in your little impromptu studio the moisture tends to collect on the cold circuit boards on your electronic equipment...and we all know water and electronics don't mix...

the other thing is that when your guitars are cold and warm up...not only do they expand as they warm up due to thermal expansion... the wood absorbs the moisture that collects on it causing it to swell. It is really important to make sure that the humidity and the temperatures are fairly steady for your guitars especially the really expensive ones.

hope that helps.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Thanks guys, not been able to post on here for a bit, but i did read the replies... But site is working for me now! :)

I've bought a heater and kept everything at 18 Celsius now, thermostat on it is working well and doesnt look like its going to cost me much either.

Thanks so much for the advice, now i just gotta hope in summer that it doesnt get ridiculously hot... I think i have learnt that stability is whats needed. So nice to have everything set up, i can go in and just work on one thing at a time now without having to rush it all.

And best of all i can leave my faders setup... woo! :D
Nord72

Post by Nord72 »

The easiest way to bypass the moisture/humidity is installing an air conditioner into your caravan.
Try to select a cooler/heater model (inverter type is prefered) and try to move the outdoor unit as close to the indoor unit as you can.
There is a special dehumidification program inside the air conditioner, that way you could be sure the temp will be constant all the time and the outdoor unit will collect the water, if you select the inverter model leave it all the time ON!
Fujitsu models have really fine parameters as well as the Mitsubishi. (for.ex.Fujitsu ASYA07/09/12 LG(C))

http://www.fujitsu-general.de/index.php?id=195&L=1

Good luck.
jonown88

Post by jonown88 »

dbijoux wrote:haha, no lack of atmosphere there, but does your caravan still have wheels?

On the Juno bit, maybe it is best to just pray. ;-)
hmmm that the such a nice info.