Why is this forum not as active as the Kronos forum?

Talk about anything here
mojkarma

Re: Why is this forum not as active as the Kronos forum?

Post by mojkarma »

Devnor wrote: Workstations are dead. The FG is dead.
Yes, that's probably the reason why the Motif or the Kronos sells so good and why their forums have dozens of posts per day while the Jupiter 80 subforum has no post in 4 days.
Devnor wrote:The Korg folks complained the Jupiter registration system was too complicated...they couldn't dial up a simple piano sound at the music store. Hello single registrations.
I'm so glad that Roland appreciate and reacts to the opinion of Korg folks more than what their own users have to say. The logic behind your "logic": abandon a Roland product and buy a Korg product if you want a certain feature to be implemented into the Roland product. Thank god, there is Kurzweil, Korg and Yamaha. They care about their own user base and not what the others have to say.
Devnor wrote:Next up - series FX and needed enhancements to organ and EP instruments.

Series FX is as old as multi effect processors. But it's ok if you want to wait until Roland implements a basic effect structure that all other companies offer for decades. Better late then never. Right now it's not there and nobody knows if it ever will be implemented. The same for organ (without overdrive) and EP.
Devnor wrote:Its a great time to be playing synthesizers.
Especially for those who didn't know that a workstation actually is a synthesizer. Welcome to reality.
RayS

Post by RayS »

mojkarma wrote:
Devnor wrote:Its a great time to be playing synthesizers.
Especially for those who didn't know that a workstation actually is a synthesizer. Welcome to reality.

Reality is.. the over-complex keyboard sequencers are nothing but a cheesy geek-user toy!! Yeah "flaky-software" Geek-User toys, collector items 10 years from now! Very few can actually use one..or will.. to make a sequence effectively for production. FACT 15 headaches, 35 pages of book reading, 2 calls to tech support, 5 Q & A on a forum and yeah maybe you can create a sequence and be a geek. I wont mention all the tiny graphics they cram into a sequence page either that only the programmer knows what it does. Then after you accomplish it, 2 weeks later when you have forgotten something..only to be all frustrated again! Wow what fun using a ~workstation~...yee high!! I would rather count popcorn kernels in a bag of popcorn. Toys of the past.. computers and software is the definite answer.(flames coming) Am I right or wrong?

And we wont mention "who" builds a worktation and leaves out a $5 Ram board with an empty slot in the motherboard. ..all to save money? To date I have seen Motif, Kurzweil, Korg and the Jupiter 80 has the simplest, user friendly interface of any synth. A Large touchscreen that for the most part dont require glasses or be in a crouched position to read it...plus quality-built buttons and sliders.

So go praise your almighty workstation, get out your manual, put on your reading glasses, crouch over, get out your touchscreen pointer stick.. while I go pop a USB stick in the Jupiter!
mojkarma

Post by mojkarma »

RayS wrote: Reality is.. the over-complex keyboard sequencers are nothing but a cheesy geek-user toy!! Yeah "flaky-software" Geek-User toys, collector items 10 years from now! Very few can actually use one..or will.. to make a sequence effectively for production. FACT 15 headaches, 35 pages of book reading, 2 calls to tech support, 5 Q & A on a forum and yeah maybe you can create a sequence and be a geek. I wont mention all the tiny graphics they cram into a sequence page either that only the programmer knows what it does. Then after you accomplish it, 2 weeks later when you have forgotten something..only to be all frustrated again! Wow what fun using a ~workstation~...yee high!! I would rather count popcorn kernels in a bag of popcorn. Toys of the past.. computers and software is the definite answer.(flames coming) Am I right or wrong?
Reality is in fact that I don't need to use the sequencer at all. It's there but I'm not forced to use it. So while I could agree with all your points, there are still people who prefer to sequence on the workstation. And I simply respect them. Regarding your headaches and 35 pages of book reading, well you obviously don't use software and a pc either. If that would be the case, you would know that cubase/logic/sonar/protools to name the most popular, come with a manual containing thousands of pages.
RayS wrote:And we wont mention "who" builds a worktation and leaves out a $5 Ram board with an empty slot in the motherboard. ..all to save money?
Why shouldn't we not mention them? Let them be ashamed.
Roland does, Yamaha does, Kurzweil does, Korg does.
In fact, Yamaha gives you 128 Mb of sample RAM. Kurzweil gives you 128 Mb flash ram factory built in. The evil Korg gives you 1 GB of ram and a SSD disc. Roland...attention...gives you 0Mb of ram. Zero. Nothing. Empty. Buy it by yourself. They don't even have the time to correct their own webpage where it says that you can stick up to 512 Mb of Ram into the Fantom G while it's 1 Gb for at least two years.
RayS wrote:So go praise your almighty workstation, get out your manual, put on your reading glasses, crouch over, get out your touchscreen pointer stick.. while I go pop a USB stick in the Jupiter!
Yes, stick the usb in the Jupiter. I'm afraid that is the only music that comes out of your keyboard.
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

That Frank Lucas Kronos piano video floating around is just another example of why serious musicians use an ipad or DAW instead of conveniently recording to the sequencer & SSD drive in Kronos. Onboard sequencers and recorders are at best half baked and with each new model year include fewer features. This is such a tired argument here on Roland Clan. That's one of the things I love about Jupiter. The board doesn't have to support elementary DAW functions and auto music generation. Nobody had to pay for engineering time wasted...err spent on features better served by a $10 garageband app.
RayS

Post by RayS »

mojkarma wrote:
RayS wrote: Reality is.. the over-complex keyboard sequencers are nothing but a cheesy geek-user toy!! Yeah "flaky-software" Geek-User toys, collector items 10 years from now! Very few can actually use one..or will.. to make a sequence effectively for production. FACT 15 headaches, 35 pages of book reading, 2 calls to tech support, 5 Q & A on a forum and yeah maybe you can create a sequence and be a geek. I wont mention all the tiny graphics they cram into a sequence page either that only the programmer knows what it does. Then after you accomplish it, 2 weeks later when you have forgotten something..only to be all frustrated again! Wow what fun using a ~workstation~...yee high!! I would rather count popcorn kernels in a bag of popcorn. Toys of the past.. computers and software is the definite answer.(flames coming) Am I right or wrong?
Reality is in fact that I don't need to use the sequencer at all. It's there but I'm not forced to use it. So while I could agree with all your points, there are still people who prefer to sequence on the workstation. And I simply respect them. Regarding your headaches and 35 pages of book reading, well you obviously don't use software and a pc either. If that would be the case, you would know that cubase/logic/sonar/protools to name the most popular, come with a manual containing thousands of pages. .
Since the definition of a Workstation is an onboard sequencer ..oh nevermind... I wont argue with someone who incoherent. Wait to see what comes out at Namm tomorrow..

And just reported that Korg wants to replace the defective keybeds with "older" non RH3 keybeds. OMG Unbelievable!! I guess that makes sense as to why Richs post about what was being done is so vague!!
mojkarma

Post by mojkarma »

RayS wrote: Since the definition of a Workstation is an onboard sequencer ..oh nevermind... I wont argue with someone who incoherent. Wait to see what comes out at Namm tomorrow..
There is absolutely nothing incoherent in either my opinion or my statement. Why should I care what the definition of the word "workstation" means? I look at the specs of the keyboard and if it gives me the best, I'll buy it.
Put simple: I want plenty of user memory for my patches, I want/need a sampler, I want seamless switching, I want enough knobs and sliders to control my sounds, I want 88 hammer weighted keys and I want a very wide sound base with different acoustic and electronic sounds. That's what I personally need for my live gigging purposes.
Now, if I look what Roland offers in that regard, the only choice is the Fantom G.
And if I look what other companies offers, it's again either a Motif or a M3 or Kronos.

So, why should I bother with the meaning of the word "workstation" and whether there is a sequencer or not. I don't need to use it. As simple as that.
On the other side, when some people complained that the JP80 lacks in the number of hardware controllers for a keyboard labeled as "performance keyboard", then some said that "performance" doesn't necessarily means performing live on stage.
If you don't intend to perform live with the JP80 which is a performance keyboard, does it mean that you won't or shouldn't buy it? And I guess we can agree to apply the same logic to the workstation.

Regarding the NAMM show, it's now known what Roland offers:
http://www.rolandconnect.com/

Personally, I'm amazed how they release a new v-accordion every 6 months.
Rocness

Post by Rocness »

mojkarma wrote: You don't see that this place is almost dead, where the subforum about the Metamorphosis of the Legend is dead silent,
Well if the JP-80 had as many problems as the Titanic siinking ship Kronos it would be a lot more activity here to .

The truth is most of the talk over there is about the very poor quality of the Kronos .Korg's reputation is forever damaged . Come on , it's true , now some people have a different OS then others because of the keybed . Some people get new keybeds and some people don't . What a mess , think about the resell value , it's all messed up now. How do you know if your getting a used Kronos with a new keybed or not. maybe with Kronos 2 they can get it right .

The small screen on the Kronos is just ridiculous , I can't believe Korg would release a product like that and now your going to depend on an editor to fix that . A editor that you have to wait over a year to get . I guess Korg didn't have the vision to see the iPad explosion .The JP-80 screen is just like a iPad very sweet .Then Korg forgot to put the pad triggers on the kronos so now you have to go buy a nano pad and hook it up and have it falling all over the place, now that's a shame because even the M3 had the pad triggers built in below the screen just like Oasys .

Did you learn anything from Namm 2012. I'll tell you what message Namm sent out loud and clear , people want there money's worth more than ever in this economy . So that means people want a product, that does what ever it does extremely well and efficient and is easy to use and is very well built . Like the Jupiter 80 , for all that it does the JP-80 does it extremely well efficient intuitive and is very easy to use, for the Jp-80 to be so easy to use it is also mysteriously deep . As far as built quality well that speaks for it self but the term like a tank comes to mind .

The Jupiter 80 gives you a whole pallet of sounds acoustic and synth , with Supernatural expression where a guitar sound like a real freakin guitar and a horn sounds like a real frekin horn (try the mute trumpet on the JP-80 instant Miles Davis ) with unbelievable VA synths and great sound design facilities including all of Roland legendary synth sounds and layering upon layering upon layering .With the best pad sound in the business that works great in a mix. The supernatural sounds are so good that if you play it right, people will think it's the real thing (just amazing) .The graphics are vibrant and colorful with beautiful metering so you always know your levels and whats playing I won't even get into the Tone Blender ,it's just sick, it's like having a professional sound designer at the push of a bottom and a turn of a knob .

People don't want to pay for something that they will never use like a out dated sequencer that a ipad app can out perform and look good while doing it to.
The Oasys owners have been begging Korg for years to fix there sequencer and The Kronos was there chance to do it but Korg put the same out dated sequencer in there.

I mean just look at the Kronos graphics .
looking at these pic, you would think that the Fantom came out way after the kronos but the Fantom has been out for years before the kronos so you tell me who's really ahead of the game .

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/ ... t=graphics

Look , don't get me wrong I like Korg, I think The Oasys is one of the best Synth's ever made .
The Oasys never had any hardware or software problems , it's actually a work of art IMHO . The Kronos = Fail IMHO .

The bottom line is that Korg cut corners on the Kronos and it's showing .
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

The bottom line is that Korg cut corners on the Kronos and it's showing .
Agreed!
cello

Post by cello »

That is indeed the crux of the matter and I'm sorry to see this happen to Korg which I've supported entirely throughout my synth-buying life until getting the glorious JP-80.

As an OASYS owner I can only agree with the sentiments posted earlier. My long and many posts on the subject are available to view on the OASYS section at KF, but suffice to say I still hurt after the way OASYS users were treated - and particularly to say that Kronos changed the game - what? Korg added a couple of engines and some techno stuff and it changed the game? Don't think so. The OASYS continues to be the best and Korg have only made that statement all the more true.

But in the meantime, Roland appears to be over-delivering for the JP-80 customers by releasing new 'stuff' post-Namm. I'm surprised at Roland and I'm surprised at Korg - for entirely different reasons.
RayS

Post by RayS »

+1 Cello ..Rocness.. and agree with both comments. The keybed issue will be how can you identify which keybed is old vs the new style...especially resale. What about users that bought the ones without a problem? If the new replacement is much better, then who would want the old style and those will not be as valuable as the newer style?? Or vice versa... Either way someone gets a product different from those that dont have issues, and their will be differences! One keybed will be better or worse than the other.

Whats sad is I believe Korg has taken a step downward ever since the Oasys. I remember being so excited getting the Oasys as I was the first one locally to buy both the Oasys and Kronos..and first shipments from Sweetwater. The Oasys was very inspiring as was the M3 afterwards..but the Kronos just didnt seem quite right from day one with nothing I was excited about after owning the Oasys.

Korg keeps Roland in check and vice versa so both companies compliment each other to supposedly give us great products. Fortunately, The Jupiter was very inspiring and "made my day" getting this after I was disappointed with the Kronos.
mojkarma

Post by mojkarma »

Rocness,
you and RayS have the absolutely same ridiculous arguments without the most basic disability to understand anything. Whatever argument you spit on here, it's just not worth to respond at all, but however, I have some time, so let the game continue.

Rocness wrote: The truth is most of the talk over there is about the very poor quality of the Kronos .Korg's reputation is forever damaged .
As usual, you are lying in the same way as you did about your topic being moved to the general gear area, where you said it was abandoned. People talk about anything Kronos related and yes, problems with the keyboard are part of it. When the same happened here regarding the Fantom G, we were told that this is because people without problems don't post. And if Rolands reputation is not damaged by the fact that people complained for whole 4 years here, I doubt that Korgs reputation will be damaged.
Rocness wrote:Come on , it's true , now some people have a different OS then others because of the keybed . Some people get new keybeds and some people don't . What a mess , think about the resell value , it's all messed up now. How do you know if your getting a used Kronos with a new keybed or not. maybe with Kronos 2 they can get it right .
This is just one example how ridiculous your comments are. Some people have problems with their keybeds, and some don't. What the hell do you expect? That Korg should replace every single keybed regardless whether it's faulty or not? Resale value? A Kronos with the old but correct keybed will probably be in better shape than a heavily gigged Kronos with the new keybed after some years.
Rocness wrote:The small screen on the Kronos is just ridiculous , I can't believe Korg would release a product like that and now your going to depend on an editor to fix that .

The editor is not fixing the screen size which is among the biggest one on the market. You probably mean the font size. And again, some people are perfectly fine with the font size. BTW, I can't access certain functions at all on the Fantom G without the editor. And right now it doesn't even support one of the most popular DAW on the market. Where is your JP80 editor? What about seamless integration into the studio?
Rocness wrote: I guess Korg didn't have the vision to see the iPad explosion .
Have I missed something? Where are the iPad apps from Roland?
Rocness wrote:Then Korg forgot to put the pad triggers on the kronos so now you have to go buy a nano pad and hook it up and have it falling all over the place, now that's a shame because even the M3 had the pad triggers built in below the screen just like Oasys .

And again, where are the pads on the JP80? The Fantom S, X, G had it. Where is the serial FX connection? The Fantom X had it. Where are the keyboards from Roland which can take an ARX card. My ARX card manual talks about keyboards in the future which will be able to use them.
Rocness wrote:Did you learn anything from Namm 2012. I'll tell you what message Namm sent out loud and clear , people want there money's worth more than ever in this economy . So that means people want a product, that does what ever it does extremely well and efficient and is easy to use and is very well built . Like the Jupiter 80 , for all that it does the JP-80 does it extremely well efficient intuitive and is very easy to use, for the Jp-80 to be so easy to use it is also mysteriously deep .
You again with your "mysterious/mysteriously" speech. Who are you to know what people want?
Go to www.thomann.de one of the biggest european online seller (you can choose english from the first page) and look what sales rank has the Kronos and Jupiter 80. Kronos is on place 3 while the Jupiter 80 is on 72. That difference speaks volumes and you can continue with your nonsense what people want.
Rocness wrote:The Jupiter 80 gives you a whole pallet of sounds acoustic and synth , with Supernatural expression where a guitar sound like a real freakin guitar and a horn sounds like a real frekin horn (try the mute trumpet on the JP-80 instant Miles Davis ) with unbelievable VA synths and great sound design facilities including all of Roland legendary synth sounds and layering upon layering upon layering .With the best pad sound in the business that works great in a mix. The supernatural sounds are so good that if you play it right, people will think it's the real thing (just amazing) .
I have the ARX brass card on my Fantom G. And unlike the JP80 it has tons of parameters compared to what is offered on the JP80. The brass section is nothing to write home about. Some simple sample based brasses sound better. Yes, some solo sounds are deep and expressive, but overall, it's far away from what you are trying to tell us here. The Jp80 can't even do a proper hammond organ because of its limitations on the effect section.
Rocness wrote: I won't even get into the Tone Blender ,it's just sick, it's like having a professional sound designer at the push of a bottom and a turn of a knob .
Tone blender is something that Korg uses for at least 15 years on their workstations. Welcome to reality.
Rocness wrote:People don't want to pay for something that they will never use like a out dated sequencer that a ipad app can out perform and look good while doing it to.
Thanks god, you are not people. The Motif does well, the Kronos does well. Even Roland makes some money with their sequencer included keyboards. Just look at the Juno line.
Rocness wrote:The Oasys owners have been begging Korg for years to fix there sequencer and The Kronos was there chance to do it but Korg put the same out dated sequencer in there.
What do you care about the sequencer if you just said that every iPad app is better? Just stop making a fool of yourself. You are just hate driven and completely out of reality. Fantom G users were begging Roland to fix some of incredibly limited features on the FG like the crappy file system and nothing happens at all. Even the JP80 got the same nonsense in first place.
Rocness wrote:I mean just look at the Kronos graphics .
looking at these pic, you would think that the Fantom came out way after the kronos but the Fantom has been out for years before the kronos so you tell me who's really ahead of the game .
What is this about? You don't like its look so you judge who is ahead of the game like a little boy? Once again: Kronos sales rank:3 - Jupiter 80 sales rank: 73. Let me explain it to you: when thomann.de sells 100 keyboards, 33 are a Kronos right now. And 1 (one) is a Jupiter 80. That's 33 to 1.
Great one! Besides the graphics, let me ask you, where is the Solo button on the Fantom G? How do I solo one track or part among hundreds to make some isolated edits without listening to the rest? There is no Solo button on the FG. Fancy graphics on the UI and some engineers who are to stupid to put even the most basic function there.
Rocness wrote:Look , don't get me wrong I like Korg, I think The Oasys is one of the best Synth's ever made .
The Oasys never had any hardware or software problems , it's actually a work of art IMHO . The Kronos = Fail IMHO .
The Kronos costs less than half of the price of a Oasys. Why would you compare the Oasys at all to the Kronos? The Kronos is a successor for the M3 and not for the Oasys. The Oasys gave you that technology almost 7 years ago. Now, it becomes cheaper and Korg offers it to the mainstream workstation buyers. In the same way like Roland sells now the JP80 for the still overpriced price at 3000 Euros while an ARX card costed 500 and now dropped to just 100. It's not even available any more officially! Imagine, they still sell the Fantom G as their current workstation, and they don't offer the expansions anymore. There are no updates, no new arx cards, no improvements on the system, no updates on the editor to make it compatible with the current software. Nothing. And Roland still sales the FG for just 200 bucks less then the Kronos. You should really reconsider your complains on Korg.
Rocness wrote:The bottom line is that Korg cut corners on the Kronos and it's showing .
The same with some Roland products. Absolutely zero difference. It's fine to have a keyboard built like a tank. But that will not make it more usable nor a better keyboard overall. And absolutely nobody knows how to screw things up like Roland.
cello

Post by cello »

Have to correct you there mojkarma - hope you don't mind!

The Kronos is a successor to the OASYS not the M3. The M3 has only one sound engine source - EDS. Additionally the M3 has a superior sequencer to the OASYS (piano roll editor for example) - although I will admit such things don't matter to me as I don't use the sequencer much!

The OASYS has 7 engines. The Kronos has 9. The Kronos has the same sequencer as the OASYS, not the M3.

The OS is the same with the Kronos and OASYS, not so with the M3. And the UI is the same between the Kronos and the OASYS (M3 combis for example have level meters for each program in that combi, but the Kronos and OASYS don't).

And to be really pedantic, when errors were found in the Kronos manual that, for example, referred to the 'illuminated sliders' (which the OASYS has but the Kronos doesn't), Korg staff said this was an error in re-writing the OASYS manual for the Kronos...

So - all things considered, the Kronos is the (cheap) successor to the OASYS.

That aside, the Kronos section at KF really stands out like a sore thumb; they don't get what KF is all about. It's not a technical support area; it's not a direct-dial to Korg (just as here is not to Roland) and Kf is about sharing and learning and fun. These last things are not present in the Kronos section which is a great shame. Every other section is about sharing and helping and is constructive. The Kronos section is sadly lacking in those departments. I hope it changes, for the benefit of the Kronos users. It's a good bit of kit, with a good heritage.

Then there's here @ RCF. Relatively quiet (nothing wrong with that!), not much sharing, lots of views about Roland (one way or the other) and little else.

I'll finish with this; I'd love this section at RCF to be the default reference for JP-80 users. To Learn, share, help and have fun. The Jp-80 is an incredible machine (I've just spent the last 3 hours scrolling through the factory sounds for the sheer fun of it!) and it deserves a community to support and enjoy it.
mojkarma

Post by mojkarma »

Hi Cello,
I'd still claim that the Kronos is the successor for the M3 and not for the Oasys. And for me, the reasons are obvious.
The Oasys was a high class keyboard with some advanced technology, kinda ahead of its time. The price point tells you clearly that it doesn't belong to the usual motif/fantom range. It was on its own class.
Five years later, korg took this technology and put it in a cheaper form which resulted in the Kronos. Kronos with it's price point fits perfectly into the mainstream workstation market. And the Kronos is bought by the same people who previously bought a workstation like the M3 or the Fantom or the Motif. So, when I say that the Kronos is the successor to the M3, it simply means that it belongs to the same workstation class at the same price point for the same buyers. It doesn't matter where the technology comes from and where it was used first. What matters is the targeted user. There is no point in comparing what the M3 has and what the Oasys or Kronos don't have. The Triton doesn't have meters in the combi screen neither. So, does it mean that the M3 is not the successor for the Triton Line? And regarding left overs in manuals, that's what you'll see on any other places too. For example, the voice reserve function in the JP80 manual is explained in the same way as in the Fantom G manual. It's a clear copy paste with the small problem that the FG has half of the polyphony opposed to what is stated for the JP80 and nobody from Roland ever confirms whether this is an error, leftover or if the same numbers applies equally to the JP80.

I agree with you regarding the Kronos subforum at KF. I'm a member there for 10 years since I used a lot of Korg gear before. But I have to say, I can't remember that there was ever a negative vibe before on any subforum and heated discussions like I see them now in the Kronos subforum. And the problem is not really the Kronos itself nor the community, but a very few people who spam it with their unargumented, close viewed comments, seeking for any occasion to bash, complain and create a negative mood. And those same people come here and don't miss any single opportunity to do the same here. The KF is a to big community to get ruined by a few members with a childish behavior. But this forum gets more and more quiet.
There are a lot of unbiased potential buyers who maybe come here to read about the JP80 for example and consider buying it. And then they read some completely unrelated posts about a completely different product, its forum and its members. That't not really an invitation to become a member here.
Jan_nl

Post by Jan_nl »

Functionwise, the KRONOS is a further development of the OASYS and therefore its successor.
Pricewise, it's the successor of the M3.
There you have it, everybody is happy, but, to be honest, who cares?
mojkarma

Post by mojkarma »

Jan_nl wrote:Functionwise, the KRONOS is a further development of the OASYS and therefore its successor.
Pricewise, it's the successor of the M3.
There you have it, everybody is happy, but, to be honest, who cares?
That would be a great short summary regarding the Kronos.
Who cares?
Actually, nobody should care here. But for a mysterious reason some do.