Why is this forum not as active as the Kronos forum?

Talk about anything here
HwyStar

Why is this forum not as active as the Kronos forum?

Post by HwyStar »

Are there no issues with your JP80?

Is there nothing to share between us?

Is there another forum for Roland JP80 type of gear that I have not found that gets more activity?

Are not as many JP80's being sold as Kronos keyboards are?

Or is it that the Kronos gang just has a lot more to complain about or justify "its" existence for?

Example: Today, (as of: 12:pm PST) the Kronos forum has 12 posts to our zero posts... If you love your hardware then speak up about it! Tell us what you know and be involved with your excellent keyboard!

P.S.: Let's not bash the Kronos group. I see many of the users over there have a JP80 and a Kronos 88. We can co-exist nicely!
Chrisk-K

Re: Why is this forum not as active as the Kronos forum?

Post by Chrisk-K »

Because every JP-80 owner is busy playing and making music instead of chitchatting? An Internet forum about a musical instrument represents only a very small portion of the entire user base. so, the forum lacks representativeness.
cello

Post by cello »

Interesting question - I've wondered exactly the same myself!

I have no idea why there is little activity here...

Is it really down to us having nothing to complain about?! Hope not...

At the moment I'm playing my JP-80 a lot more than the OASYS. Experimenting with new sounds on the JP-80 is just so much better fun than on the OASYS - which yes, can do similar things but you need to know what you're doing with way more parameters than actually needed.

The JP-80 is wonderfully efficient at taking the parameters down to what is required to produce excellent sounds.

FYI - I started up JP-80.com as a forum, but like here, there was little participation (appreciate those who did join in though!), but every day I had to remove 80 or more spambot posts and/or registrations so I have closed it down for the time being. I had hoped it would be a focussed area for JP-80 users to share and learn.

I'd be delighted if more joined in here and contributed - particularly in sharing and learning about how to get the most out of the JP-80.
Méka

Post by Méka »

I think that kronos users have much more issues than Jupiter owners ....
Kronos seem a lot cheaper than Jupiter ...
Too, I think in the near future people will sell Kronos to take a Jupiter ;-)
HwyStar

Post by HwyStar »

I can see using both Méka. They have they're place as well.

The new update/release will allow us to share more, that is for sure Cello! I have had forum admin blues too. You never know what forum is going to exceed or fail.

Thanks for the post Dudes!
Chrisk-K

Post by Chrisk-K »

Even with 100,000+ Motifs out there, entire Motifator is not as active as the Kronos forum because there's not much chitchatting going on there. Most posts here or at Motifator contain some useful information. In contrast, at the K forum the majority of posts are just chitchatting with no substantive value.
cello

Post by cello »

Chrisk-K wrote:Even with 100,000+ Motifs out there, entire Motifator is not as active as the Kronos forum because there's not much chitchatting going on there. Most posts here or at Motifator contain some useful information. In contrast, at the K forum the majority of posts are just chitchatting with no substantive value.
True. Maybe that's the difference; Roland Clan is seen as a reference source but KF is seen as a community(hence larger chit-chat element)?
cello

Post by cello »

HwyStar wrote:The new update/release will allow us to share more, that is for sure Cello! I have had forum admin blues too. You never know what forum is going to exceed or fail.

Thanks for the post Dudes!
When I read this I wondered what you meant... lol Well, now I know - great update from Roland!

Maybe I should consider making JP-80.com into a sound sharing resource (all free and no adverts)?!
ozy

Post by ozy »

cello wrote:Interesting question - I've wondered exactly the same myself!I have no idea why there is little activity here...
because the jupiter80 is good! wow! it's amazing!

it's a mind-blowing, life-changing experience!

it is cheap, it does everything!

and if you don't like what it does, you are negative-minded. You should focus on positives!

So: either it's good, or is not worth even talking about it!

there's not much more to say!

wow!

hey!

wow!

Kumbaya!

arf arf... when does the Group meet next time? I can't wait for the common prayer!
cello

Post by cello »

ozy wrote:
cello wrote:Interesting question - I've wondered exactly the same myself!I have no idea why there is little activity here...
because the jupiter80 is good! wow! it's amazing!

it's a mind-blowing, life-changing experience!

it is cheap, it does everything!

and if you don't like what it does, you are negative-minded. You should focus on positives!

So: either it's good, or is not worth even talking about it!

there's not much more to say!

wow!

hey!

wow!

Kumbaya!

arf arf... when does the Group meet next time? I can't wait for the common prayer!
LOL - Knew you'd see it our way eventually! ;-)
ozy

Post by ozy »

cello wrote:LOL - Knew you'd see it our way eventually! ;-)
Resistance was futile.

Since I stopped fighting and accepted the Force, I am happy.

The small scare on the back of my neck and the occasional blackouts are a small price to pay for this warm feeling of cosmic brotherood.

The rainbow-tinted robe is nice as well.

Sometimes I feel sad when my family calls and Brother Warden tells them I don't want to speak with them anymore, but I understand it's just an irrational vestige of a past I reneged for good.

Ohhmmmm...
RayS

Post by RayS »

OK I got an answer..or scenario.

Look at it like this... when a car crashes or their is a house fire, everyone driving around wants to stop.. stare and observe what is going on and get involved. And Vice versa... they always say "No News is Good News".
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

Reasons to be cheerful, part one.

Kronos:

a) the Kronos seems to be outselling the JP80.. this does not suprise me for a variety of reasons.. and it would be expected...so there are lots of "i got it", "i cant get it", "here it is" threads

b) the Kronos is extremely complicated, in architecture, desing and use...so there are lots of "how do i", "why doesnt it", "why cant i", "what is a.." threads

c) the Kronos has had a few QA problems so "how loud is YOUR fan", "my keybed clicks", "keyboard not aligned" "note stuck" "data wheel" etc etc..

Jupiter:
a) The JP80 appeals to a much smaller audience.. so will sell in less volume..fewer people fewer threads.

b) A modern synth really does not get much easier in architecture (if not terminology) than the JP80.. if they ahd not changed partial/tone terminology from Fantom then even fwer threads.

c) its simple, easy to use and sounds great.

So, if you took away from the JP80 forum the discussions regarding why its not a jupiter 8 etc, terminology/architecure etc, saving registrations (now fixed), its not a workstation etc.. then you would have one healthy discussion on polyphony and a lot of tumbleweeds and crickets in here... :)
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

Seems to me the Jupiter owners are fairly savvy, understand synthesis and simply go on about making music. When I check in on the latest developments in Kronos land...all there is complaining, name calling & petty bickering. A few weeks ago I wittnessed Rudess wailing away on Kronos. Probably the ultimate Kronos demo. There is no mention of those shows on Krog forum yet the 42 page Jupiter bashing thread is alive & well. I find that unreal.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Mystic38 wrote:Reasons to be cheerful, part one.

Kronos:

a) the Kronos seems to be outselling the JP80.. this does not suprise me for a variety of reasons.. and it would be expected...so there are lots of "i got it", "i cant get it", "here it is" threads

b) the Kronos is extremely complicated, in architecture, desing and use...so there are lots of "how do i", "why doesnt it", "why cant i", "what is a.." threads

c) the Kronos has had a few QA problems so "how loud is YOUR fan", "my keybed clicks", "keyboard not aligned" "note stuck" "data wheel" etc etc..

Jupiter:
a) The JP80 appeals to a much smaller audience.. so will sell in less volume..fewer people fewer threads.

b) A modern synth really does not get much easier in architecture (if not terminology) than the JP80.. if they ahd not changed partial/tone terminology from Fantom then even fwer threads.

c) its simple, easy to use and sounds great.

So, if you took away from the JP80 forum the discussions regarding why its not a jupiter 8 etc, terminology/architecure etc, saving registrations (now fixed), its not a workstation etc.. then you would have one healthy discussion on polyphony and a lot of tumbleweeds and crickets in here... :)
Mystic, (this time I) Fully agree with you ;-)
Cheers