New gear at NAMM...?

Talk about anything here
SammyJames

New gear at NAMM...?

Post by SammyJames »

NAMM starts tomorrow, I believe (the 12th of January, 2012). I haven't read through all of the new posts here yet, but I'm wondering if there is a catch-all thread to discuss all of the new NAMM gear developments, especially relating of course to Roland and other synth manufacturers.

- Sammy
SammyJames

Re: New gear at NAMM...?

Post by SammyJames »

Sorry! I was wrong. I guess that it isn't until next week -- the 19th of January. Still, I'm amazed (or impressed, depending on how you want to perceive my reaction) that the big MI companies haven't even trickled out a bit of real news on any of their newest products.

I hate it, by the way, when they keep us in suspense like this. Come on -- it's frigging 2012, and most of us aren't even going to care whether there's a stinking "new workstation" category in any manufacturer's line up. Just tell us what you are going to release, so that we can put off buying stuff until you give us what we REALLY want --

A PC that has a custom OS which works WITHOUT A MOUSE.

Thank you.

- Sammy
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

I'm dazzled (not really). I'm completely befuddled (really) as to how so many manufacturers shirked their duty to bring us our yearly blitz of new products at this year's NAMM.

Where was Roland? Hiding out in booth 1112, or what?

Jeez Louise. This entire industry is going downhill so fast. I'll tell you this much -- I ain't buyin' ANYTHING that came out this year this year -- or next year. Or any year -- until they start giving us something cool, unique, and useful. (And don't even START with me on the Alesis Vortex... what a hunk of crap that thing looks.)
canefire

Post by canefire »

interesting that you would say this. I have been thinking for a while now that the problem at roland might be that they have hit the wall in terms of ideas. The chips and powerful enough, and the GUI's are not beyond reach..they need to really think outside the box. Like an analog (VCO's) that can be layered on top of say a fantom's sounds, with controlsfor both sections, and with the analog board having lots of voices, and a digital and vco filter. Sorta like a moog or emu sp1200 in a fantom or vsynth.
Hardware is not dead and they are making money going in software's direction. However a kick ass piece of Hardware that has a unique sound and 2012 GUI interface will definitely sell.
Cheers,
Ian
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

An analog VCO layered with a sample isnt exactly out of the box thinking...neither is simply "bolting on" an analog synth to your typical workstation. Guess everyone is fresh out of new synthesis ideas because everything new is emulating something old.