New keyboard from Roland???

Talk about anything here
BoricuaRoland

New keyboard from Roland???

Post by BoricuaRoland »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-_8aNia ... ure=relmfu

Please watch the full video. At minute 5:47 this guy makes an interesting comment! This video is from July 10 2012.
jur451c

Re: New keboard from Roland???

Post by jur451c »

Not really a surprise. There was never really any reason to believe that Roland had given up on the workstation. Roll on Christmas!
alex-f.s

Re: New keyboard from Roland???

Post by alex-f.s »

... a Roland dealer in Florida told me today, that a Roland Corp. is planning to release a new Fantom workstation. The question was only when, by the end of the year???

To find out call Roland...
kday

Post by kday »

If Roland do come out with a new Keyboard it'll be the same old rehash of the Fantom series with maybe more memory. They desperately need something ground breaking like Flash Memory or SSD drive storage and better sampling at minimum plus the other features to catch up to Korg and Yamaha.
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

The real problem with nowadays hardware samplers is that at least some of them are cumbersome and tedious. Unless Roland provides a smart method of asigning individual samples to a multisample keymap they're not gonna have many customers buying a workstation for being a sampler too.
At least they should provide a computer app if they're unable to implement such functions directly on the board.
Some swear the same is true about sequencing. While Roland had a headstart - being able to record into the sequencer from practically any menu or submenu - their competitors managed to close the gap. That means they should design their "new" sequencer having in mind both computer users and keyboard diehards.
I personally used to like a lot more an ancient linear sequencer - like Roland D-20 or Korg M-1 - than nowadays equivalents. By the time I finally create a sequencer setup my inspiration is gone. There are software sequencer improvements I wouldn't refuse - drumpattern or effect setup memories (Korg M3 lookalikes) and also I wouldn't mind using pads a lot more when sequencing to input numeric data instead of repeatedly pressing a key or turning the alpha-dial. These ergonomical improvements would reinstate hardware sequencers into their starting position - as being the smart, quickest method of creating songs.
But!!! - I'm afraid Roland earns more money selling Cakewalk counterparts than selling hardware sequencers.
Should they not be afraid that creating a better hardware sequencer on their future workstation would impede their software sales, they might recover their position on the workstation market.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

It's funny to hear that; the last year was the same thing: "Roland will definitely release the new keyboard". Two years ago there were even websites that were giving as certain the release of the Fantom Z, or GF or whatever. Now that guy on youtube says his friend, who worked for Roland, told him that. Ha-ha. Probably he's just hoping so, like many others.
On the other hand, I guess it's time for Roland to do that, after 5 years with the G. That makes it the longest living workstation along with the XP 80.
If that is true, and a new keyboard workstation will be released, I'm very curious to see whether or not it will support ARX expansion. If it will, then I'll be more than happy with my G waiting for the "promised" stuff. If not, Roland will have a serious issue related to credibility. If it will have a built in Super Natural engine, then it will be the same as the JP80, probably featuring a sampler and sequencer. But Scott Tibbs was saying in the JP video that they supply the software "with more than anyone can put in a keyboard", so what's the point for adding sequencer? Also, with built in SuperNatural engine, sequencing and sampling, the new keyboard will probably be hugely expensive, more than G now or JP80. On the other hand, getting back to the classic Fantom engine seems unlikely, pretty much a step back. I'm very curious to see how Roland will figure this out.
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

You know you're getting the real scoop when the vids are made in the keyboard dept at Guitar Center.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

"Roll on Christmas!"
Dont you mean.. Roland Christmas LOL!!

Looking at rolands pattern over the past few years I cant see any kind of WOW! factor coming.
If its a fantom style board its going to have the usual fantom stuff..
sound engine wise.. if its going to wow its has to retain the current form factor and add something else
but what could it be?
Im sure we can expect to be let down again in the file system dept

if they try to add jp80 features its going to be limited as not to kill the jp80/50 market
so dont expect much in that dpt
Sequencer:
theres lots they could do there dont expect it to happen..

DAW:
well if there is going to be a WOW factor this is where it could happen
features like
Full multi channel digital rendering
Sample editing and functionality could be improved like crossfading loops etc
but this could all be done currently in software without new hardware.

Hardware wise I would not WOW for anything less than 8 independent outs and USB/Firewire Multi-channel out and not the current USB (2 channel stereo.)
Also all inputs to be accessible at all times and not as current one at a time.
full independent routing

Anything less than this is not worth getting excited about for me.
Grammar Wombat

Post by Grammar Wombat »

Beware, my friends, this is a dangerous topic!

If "trench coat guy" uncovers what we are discussing, we might be…
Deleted.jpg
Deleted.jpg (69.85 KiB) Viewed 4563 times
BoricuaRoland

Post by BoricuaRoland »

I found out all the info. about this great new machine, but i can't post it here. I dont want to have problems with secret Roland agent. PLEASE WATCH THIS VIDEO BEFORE sRa DELETES IT!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIBnI1Dz0to
secret Roland agent

Post by secret Roland agent »

I'm sorry 'bout that! I can't help myself!
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

BoricuaRoland, that is ace! How long before we see posts from people who think it's an official advert???
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

i think your opinion will be proved very wrong..
roland have all the bits and pieces as of right now to make quite a leap in every aspect from the Fantom G... it doesnt (and better not) need to end up like the Kronos.
kday wrote:If Roland do come out with a new Keyboard it'll be the same old rehash of the Fantom series with maybe more memory. They desperately need something ground breaking like Flash Memory or SSD drive storage and better sampling at minimum plus the other features to catch up to Korg and Yamaha.
kday

Post by kday »

Mystic38 wrote:i think your opinion will be proved very wrong..
roland have all the bits and pieces as of right now to make quite a leap in every aspect from the Fantom G... it doesnt (and better not) need to end up like the Kronos.
kday wrote:If Roland do come out with a new Keyboard it'll be the same old rehash of the Fantom series with maybe more memory. They desperately need something ground breaking like Flash Memory or SSD drive storage and better sampling at minimum plus the other features to catch up to Korg and Yamaha.
I guarantee Roland will give you a Fantom G on steroids. Plus all the same G sounds and some Jupiter 80 presets, and they'll claim they've improved the sampling options to be simpler. They'll allow user samples to be stored in Flash Memory like Motif XF. They'll claim a better synth engine to model some sounds better. But, the synth models after that will include what they'll say is the same exact synth engine as the Jupiter 80 and one or two more options and couple new sounds.

Don't expect a plethora of new features in a rock solid OS. There will always be something to keep you looking to their next synth unit as the end all be all synth for you, which will never happen. No matter what they come out with next it will still never be complete.
Quinnx.

Re: New keyboard from Roland???

Post by Quinnx. »

Thats why i will stick with the current G
even the JP80 was not a big enough step to impress just the samo samo in a new box.

"it will still never be complete."

Always and forever!