New keyboard from Roland???

Talk about anything here
Leh173

Re: New keyboard from Roland???

Post by Leh173 »

Interesting points. I have to agree that the software solution for live performance is vastly overstated, and I have that view because I went the full monty about 3 years ago and tried it and it seriously didn't work out. I was of the view as well that hardware had had it's day and workstations were an overpriced waste of time as a computer could over far better and more detailed sounds/instruments to work with. Back in 2005 I started introducing my laptop to gigs to take advantage of Logics EVB3, EVP88 and pianos live. which were much better that my other sounds. I still used my JP-8000 for synths. Anyway I eventually ended up on Mainstage and a MIDI controller for gigs and it never worked out very well. Mainstage worked fine and it was extremely flexible but in the live situation even a simplified setup of Laptop/MIDI controller was a hassle to setup, Mainstage is not fast for splits and layers and the latency while workable was noticable compared to hardware, but the real deal killer are the MIDI controllers. They are awful substandard things to play. Since going over to the Fantom G (and even using my Roland D-70) for a bit, live my musical enjoyment has come back and really realised how much I missed hardware. I was already familiar with the Roland system and liked the way it worked so I chose the G over the others. I won't go back to a laptop based solution for live any time soon. So I think the Fantom G has a long life ahead of it for me. but if Roland released a fifth Fantom with a Supernatural sound engine and the improvements we're all wanting, I would be very interested. The Fantom is just more "direct" creatively. I find myself just switching it on at home and only using it, depsite a full blown Logic Pro system sitting right next to it. So I have really changed my views.

In the studio the situation is less clear. I think Logic with an A-80 and fast audio interfaces would be quite good, maybe a bit of hardware to supplement, but in that area the G may get used a lot for it's sounds sources or not at all for some people... that's the area I think the new sound engine is needed. I've had my G for a year and am still finding new ways to use it in the studio and haven't settled on what sounds from it I really want to use. The drums and brass and some romplered sounds plus the sampler meaning I can load stuff in and have no latency offer a point of difference... It's also quite a good controller I find, and the RPS system has found a new use for me in being able to record sys-ex and then become a set of buttons for functions on my hardware. So I think a best of both worlds approach is what works for me.

The G has really filled a gap for me, but a new version of it would be interesting to me. 5 years is a long time in music technology and I would hope a new one would be very very powerful. Roland have developed a lot of great technology and the G frustrates because some things they have done well in other instruments didn't quite make it to this one intact. It must be very hard to make an all in one instrument that satisfies everyone, but the the G is frustratingly close for many of us. A new one following the same ideas, but with a new sound engine, improved sampler, proper file management, large onboard flash RAM and maintaing the build quality, pads, sliders, screen, MFX structures, even maybe a few more control pedal inputs and it would be a serious machine. This is all speculation of course and in the here and now, the G fits in with my world nicely.
en76

Post by en76 »

11 days to go! let me guess, 2.0 update Fantom G. feature: ipad ?
jabberwocky

Post by jabberwocky »

mm... -1 for IPAD... IPAD is for childeren if you ask me. There is no R&R with IPAD.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

@ jur451c

True the workstation is not just about the studio
and that being the case then it needs to be geared very much towards live performance..
Now the one thing that realy gets me on that subject is the G interface and functions,

we only have 2 hands and there is only so much one can do
yet roland have insisted on obstructing us with popup confirmations for everything, so during a live performance your obstructed from getting to the next step untill you press y or n or exit or next or whatever before you can get any functional control back on the G.
The workstation is NOT a pc or windows.. its an instrument, we dont need these blasted popups.
One of the worse ones in when you press record.. it leave a box on the screen and now while your already busy playing with two hands some how you have to find a way to close this box before you get any access to other functions during a live performance.
I mean where all responsible adults.. if we want popups we should have the choice to enable or disable them..
Time is a key factor in any performance and if your forced to use it up pressing all these popups it just gets in the way of live performing.
Try tell roland this...
they just defend what they have done rather than listen.
jur451c

Post by jur451c »

@Quinnx

I get your point, however I don't think I've ever recorded in a live performance situation. I tend to prepare everything in advance and generally step through live sets using a pedal.
I've never seen a popup while doing this.....
dark_knight_x3

Post by dark_knight_x3 »

How many times has it been that a countdown happens and FG users get disappointed? ;) Maybe this is it.. The countdown we've been waiting for... ;) finally... OS 1.55 ;) peace!
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

It says new product... hardware not software..
so dont get your hopes up.
Its probably a usb mouse or some rendition of.. ;)
when they do a countdown like this its usually nothing fantastic anyways
Kentoby

Post by Kentoby »

Sorry folks, I'm late to the party. Where are you reading that there will be new hardware or software from released.

KT

[quote="Quinnx."]It says new product... hardware not software..
so dont get your hopes up.
Its probably a usb mouse or some rendition of.. ;)
when they do a countdown like this its usually nothing fantastic anyways/quote]
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

I find it amazing that we have a piece of hardware with all the bits that allow one unlimited production power
and its held back by the software itself.
Can you just imagine how flexible the G would be if it was user programmable.
But of course it would be bad business for roland to make something that flexible..
but its sad to say we put ourselves at the mercy of keyboard makers by accepting what they offer all to easily.
Kentoby

Post by Kentoby »

Guys, where are you seeing this official count down info, I'm not not seeing it. Thanks KT

en76 wrote:11 days to go! let me guess, 2.0 update Fantom G. feature: ipad ?
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

rolandconnect.com

But dont bother...
its just the usual roland PR thing at work..
And sure,,,
if you already have a G you dont need to be looking at yet another roland product.
en76

Post by en76 »

yep check the video that starts this topic and swing on by to roland connect.com. can't believe i am actually staying up late for this....lights out!
Jan_nl

Post by Jan_nl »

If Roland had a new workstation up its sleeve they would have launched a separate teaser by now, but I have come across something else.

Any ideas what this might be?
The size points to a module.
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

The printing on the box also points to a module.

On the right side, below the poorly positioned black tape, it says something like "Module de sons" or "Módulo de Sonido."
Module.jpg
Module.jpg (17.93 KiB) Viewed 1909 times
Jan_nl

Post by Jan_nl »

A module which begins with a T - sounds like a module for the V-drum series since they also begin with a T (TD-30, T-12 etc).