Convert SRX sounds?

Talk about anything here
vpro

Convert SRX sounds?

Post by vpro »

I am new. I am a world fusion recording artist in Canada, I had to sell my Roland Fantom a few years ago to afford to travel with my husband for honeymoon, anyways long story short, I miss the Fantom very much and our marriage is fruitful. I have three SRX sound cards but nothing to use them with. Has anyone out there converted SRX sounds to usable formats for say Garage Band so I may use it with a keyboard controller attached to my Mac via USB???? Does Roland sell sounds from SRX sound collections on DVD? I have the World and Platinum Trax SRX upgrade cards. I really want to use those awesome sounds again *sigh* please help????

Thanks in advanced.
Andy Keys

Re: Convert SRX sounds?

Post by Andy Keys »

Hello and welcome!

If you want to keep your SRX boards and their sounds I would look for a secondhand module that you can put them into.

Here's a link to the SRX board compatibility liston the Roland US site.

Regards
Andy
vpro

Post by vpro »

Thank you I appreciate this info I have been on top of this but am very curious if there have been other developments with regards to extracting the sounds and creating more universal use for them in this age of vast computer music making.
vpro

Post by vpro »

I have come across these so called Roland Refills for Reason and other programs to utilize Roland sounds. Basically you get the sounds and not the boards themselves - which is really innovative and accessible so everyone can just plug and play via USB keyboard controllers !!!
howardS

Post by howardS »

Is legal for someone other than Roland to sell Roland sounds from these SRX boards.
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Is it legal for someone other than Roland to sell Roland sounds from these SRX boards?
In a word, no. Here is the verbiage from an SRX manual.
Reproduction or duplication of this collection or any of the sound recording contained in the SRX-XX, either as they exist on this expansion board or by any means of reformatting, mixing, filtering, re-synthesizing, processing or otherwise editing for use in another product for re-sale, is strictly prohibited without the express written consent of Roland. All unauthorized giving, trading, lending, renting, re-issue, re-distribution or re-sale of the sounds included in the SRX-XX are expressly prohibited.
I have seen JV-1080 modules going for as cheap as $150. That would be a good way to use the boards as it will accomodate up to 4 of them.
howardS

Post by howardS »

I knew that but as I didn't have the time to read the SRX manual before I posted so I qualified my statement. I know, SoundworldA.D., I sound like a lawyer...there is a good reason for that... ;-)
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

No harm, no foul Howard! People do stupid things...therefore, they need lawyers! LOL

But, technology, for better or worse has made "theft" of copyrighted material as easy as 1-2-3.

There was a local CD store that I frequented several years ago that closed down because the sale of a few CD's wasn't enough to pay the rent. The reason for only a few sales was that this was in a college town. A few people would buy CD's, and then all of their friends would have a copy for free because the ability to copy and redistribute with recordable CD's. Did the fact that this was illegal stop people from doing it?

When I went to Japan, they had software that would disable the copyright protection from DVD's, rendering them free for the taking. This is illegal too, but again, when you give people the ability to get something for nothing and then expect them to be saints, well, let's just say that our expectations are often loftier than our ethics!

And then there was Napster and the rest. Once the World Wide Web opened that Pandora's box known as "free lunch" to the masses, I'm afraid that intellectual property and copyrighted material became just another old buzz word that sadly belongs to a bygone era.

When I reminded someone who had assempled a huge free music library from Napster that it was basically theft, the response was, "why should I pay for something that is free on the internet?"

Human nature? I think it is more human than natural!
howardS

Post by howardS »

Thanks, SoundworldA.D. Theft has become much easier in the digital age especially since there is no real way to police to deal with a lot of it from a jurisdictional standpoint. As I understand it, in many jurisdictions the sharing is illegal but not downloading of the illegally shared material which makes it both difficult and confusing to try to police it all.

This is a problem even if the material being copied is otherwise free! On the Roland Clan we had those Rhodes samples which were made available for the Fantom X line and I was the one who obtained the approval from Jeff Lear to use his Rhodes samples which were used in the Rhodes samples which were uploaded by Cesarsound. The only condition was that when we share Jeff Lear's samples was that we include a file that notes that Jeff Lear created the samples. The original release Ceasarsound and I shared had the readme file with that info in it but it has been uploaded again and there have been several reworkings of the patches into sample sets that contain other sample shared on this board but I didn't see any reference to Jeff Lear any longer in the sample library. No one seems to care so people simply ignore the proprietary rights. Too bad.
motic

Post by motic »

SoundworldA.D. wrote: .. When I reminded someone who had assembled a huge free music library from Napster that it was basically theft, the response was, "why should I pay for something that is free on the internet?"
I w'd have answered:"..'cause it's worth their afford!! or 'somethin''?..", back.
Don't get me wrong, i've got thousands of songs on my ipods, from free music stations all over the world, that's where i met 'Amethystium' for the first and bought all their albums @ once the second (..day..) i heard them!! and i like free stuff and 'Try before you buy', but i do my best to 'try' with reason.. ;•}... well, everybody has his own demons...
Most of them are not CD quality (96kbs/128kbs max), but good enough for me to listen to 'something else' and not keep hearing the same songs over and over on commercial stations which promote only what they want... and the motto is:"If you like it, BUY IT!!".
That is someway the reason most (many) artists are not 'that aggressive' against the 'spreading'... that's what i mean on SC with:"give everyone the chance to listen...", i would never heard of so many artists without those music stations and, 'there for', hadn't bought their albums or songs by the store or on iTunes.
Thinking of the music we make... there is so much music made from the beginning of (music) time... can we positively say:"my song doesn't sound like some other song already made??"... i doubt that! and the sounds we edit (.. you edit, i don't edit so much yet ;•) )... are they really original???... sure nobody made somethin' like it in the past??
Easy enough to make my music ©'ed with my name in the tag, but... is it for sure?!
Sorry for going a little off track and thanks for listening :©)