Rest in Peace Dear Alvin

Talk about anything here
SoundworldA.D.

Rest in Peace Dear Alvin

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

I heard that guitarist Alvin Lee of Ten Years After fame had passed away yesterday at 68. I was always a big TYA fan and the very first Rock concert I saw was TYA headlining in Dallas, Texas with Procol Harum and Wild Turkey as warm ups.

Of course the version of "I'm Going Home" from Woodstock will always be the performance that is indelibly etched in people's memory, but the pinnacle of his guitar work for me will always be the smokin' solo he does from Ten Years After Recorded Live during the extended middle section (Extension On One Chord) sandwiched in between the intro and outro of a nice version of the old Al Kooper song "I Can't Keep From Cryin' Sometimes."

Alvin may be gone, but his music lives on!
TYA_Sssh_1.jpg
TYA_Sssh_1.jpg (28.41 KiB) Viewed 790 times
PauloF

Re: Rest in Peace Dear Alvin

Post by PauloF »

SoundworldA.D. wrote:I heard that guitarist Alvin Lee of Ten Years After fame had passed away yesterday at 68. I was always a big TYA fan and the very first Rock concert I saw was TYA headlining in Dallas, Texas with Procol Harum and Wild Turkey as warm ups.

Of course the version of "I'm Going Home" from Woodstock will always be the performance that is indelibly etched in people's memory, but the pinnacle of his guitar work for me will always be the smokin' solo he does from Ten Years After Recorded Live during the extended middle section (Extension On One Chord) sandwiched in between the intro and outro of a nice version of the old Al Kooper song "I Can't Keep From Cryin' Sometimes."

Alvin may be gone, but his music lives on!
TYA_Sssh_1.jpg

Jiiiiiii, I didn't see your post until today.
I was also a big fan of Ten years After since my 2x's, when I learned how to play Guitar.
I still own a double LP - Ten Years After Recorded Live in Frankfurt and Paris with the Stones Recording Mobile Studio...

Extension On One chord is HUGE!!!

Long live the old Alvin!!
SoundworldA.D.

Re: Rest in Peace Dear Alvin

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Glad you know about "Extension" Paulo. All guitar players can surely appreciate that much of an extended jam where so many types of guitar tricks are displayed with aplomb by Alvin live.

I got my very first TYA album Ssssh in about 1969 or 1970 and just wore the grooves out and got every TYA album that came out until Alvin left after Positive Vibrations. My favourite TYA album is A Space in Time and I still play "Here They Come" in dropped Double-D tuning on my acoustic guitar at lake parties.

I was thinking the other day about the years surrounding Woodstock and was stunned at the sheer number of amazing bands that were producing great music and touring at that time.