Recommendations for a sample-playing keyboard

Talk about anything here
Andy Keys

Recommendations for a sample-playing keyboard

Post by Andy Keys »

Hi all,

I've started using my Fantom X for playing sampled instruments (multisamples), and whilst the functionality is great, the loads times make it completely unsuitable for live use.

I discovered the Korg microSampler, but sadly, they are no longer being made.

So, can anyone recommend any sample-playing keyboards that have FlashRAM memory (so your samples are available immediately on power up)? I want to be able to load in my own multisamples and play them from the keyboard. If it's got MIDI, I'd even consider "toy" keyboards. A decent amount of memory and decent sampling rates are important.

Thanks in advance,
Andy
howardS

Re: Recommendations for a sample-playing keyboard

Post by howardS »

Great post, Andy. I have the same issue and am now looking at solutions that may include using a sampler plugin. I currently use VB3 for organ so I am already using my laptop in live situations. It shouldn't take a lot to add a sampler plugin although I probably wont be able to really dig into this under August. Have you looked at adding this functionality with a laptop or are you staying away from that?
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Hi Howard, I really want to stay away from Laptops for live use.

What started me off was looking into Mellotron modules/keyboards. By the time you've spent the money on something like a Memotron you're into the same price range as the big guns: Yamaha, Korg, Roland, Kurzweil & Nord. So, that got me wondering if there are any sampling (sample-playback) keyboards out there?

As I said above, I found the Korg microSampler, but that's out of production.

I wonder if any of the current crop of home keyboards (*gulp!*) allow you to load your own samples. I'm really looking for a keyboard solution around the £500-600 range, rather than having to shell out £1,500-2,000+.
Oh, and FlashRAM (or equivalent) is important to minimise boot times live.

Regards
Andy
howardS

Post by howardS »

Ok. Thanks, Andy. I am curious to see what recommendation people have for hardware samplers that meet those requirements.
florin2013

Post by florin2013 »

Hmm..
Sell everything and get a Motif XF or a Tyros 4 ?
This is what I am thinking for me now...

I saw on a forum, a discussion, about the Fantom-X card.
Someone said he replace the PCMCIA-CF card with another adaptor, a PCMCIA-SD.
He said that the loading time was 40-50% less then.
And he used a SD-HC card.
The problem is that I couldn't find here such adaptor.
I will try to use instead a CF to SD adaptor, but I didn't have the time to look for it for the moment.
I will come back with news when I'll get it.
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

I've been wondering if the answer is to look at a second hand Kurz or Electro.

It seems to me to be a strange oversight in the market. There are loads of controller keyboards out there, most of which you can hook up to your PC/Mac to program. How big a stretch would it be to put some flashRAM inside and let you create and paly your own multisamples?

Several home keyboards (Casio/Yamaha) offer "sampling features" but they seem to be entirely of the "record the cat miaow and play greenlseeves with it" variety.

florin, let us know if the switch to SD cards makes any noticeable difference in load times.