RIP George Duke (5 August 2013)

Talk about anything here
Andy Keys

RIP George Duke (5 August 2013)

Post by Andy Keys »

I'm sad to hear that George Duke has died (yesterday). I mainly knew of him through his work with Zappa in the 70's, and some of his solo albums. His piano master class had a big effect on my playing, too. Rest easy, George, and thank you for the music.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... rdist-dies
howardS

Re: RIP George Duke (5 August 2013)

Post by howardS »

He will definitely be missed, Andy.
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

George's 1977 solo record "Reach For It" was one of the main reasons I branched out from Rock and Roll and got interested in other forms of music, especially Jazz-Rock and Fusion. But this fantastic record also employed African and Brazilian grooves as well as George's trademark Funk and Soul and I grew to love them all.

Yes, George will be missed, but his musical legacy will last on and on. Now whenever I chill and put on one of my favourite comtemporary Jazz singers Dianne Reeves, I will think of and remember George, who not only produced her 1st album, but who also happened to be her cousin.

My latest tune, "Reach For the Sky" will be affectionately dedicated to George Duke.
Monkey Man

Post by Monkey Man »

He's been my all-time favourite musician (any instrument) for 26 years, and as in Soundworld A.D.'s case, was instrumental(!), along with Clark, Carlton, Ritenour, Weather Report, Cobham & EWF (all '70's stuff), in shaping my appreciation of music and indeed life. He was the main man though. I think I've got every release of his, and yes, the '80s saw a couple of crappy efforts in which the white-noise snares and brass samples seemed to drive the inspiration and development of the songs to an extent. Many fell for this trap back then, like autotune today, I s'pose. Thankfully the couple of duds pale into insignificance numerically.

I can't overstate how sad this news makes me. I've dreaded for decades the day that marked the point from which we'd see no more work from George. I'd always hoped I'd meet him one day and be able to thank him for the inspiration and love.

Funk up Heaven for us, won't you George?

Ironic that he died on August 5th, the same date as my best friend and housemate (age 31) several years ago.
monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks »

GD made a few recordings with Airto and Flora Purim in the 1970's. He also scored the Horn arrangements on these dates. Some great tunes on these sessions.

There is a GD Tutorial Video from the 1980's which is supposed to be excellent. i have never seen it but he talks about 'solo construction', 'composition' and 'vocalist accomp' apparently. i would really love to see it if any has a copy please ??
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

GD made a few recordings with Airto and Flora Purim in the 1970's.
If I remember correctly, I think Airto and Ms. Purim also guested on George's most excellent "Brazilian Love Affair" album. Yes indeed, Geo was multi-talented across many genre's. You know a dude is tight when he passes the muster of Frank-o!
Clark, Carlton, Ritenour, Weather Report, Cobham & EWF (all '70's stuff),
Man Monk! What a list! School Days, Larry Carlton (S/T), Festival, any WR, Spectrum and All 'n All still make regular appearances on my CD player! I would only have to add Return To Forever and Herbie Hancock to complete my list.

Also, George and Stanley introduced me to the sounds of little known but outstanding guitarists like Charles "Icarus" Johnson and Ray Gomez. Another honorable mention goes to Jean Luc's "Cosmic Messenger." I had never heard of Peter Maunu or Joaquin Lievano before that. Puppet's Dance still sends me!
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

monsterjazzlicks wrote:There is a GD Tutorial Video from the 1980's which is supposed to be excellent. i have never seen it but he talks about 'solo construction', 'composition' and 'vocalist accomp' apparently. i would really love to see it if any has a copy please ??
You can buy both of GD's master class videos together on one DVD and support his family and legacy. The one on constructing solos is very good. (I don't do much accompanying singers).

DVD link: http://www.mmsies.com/store/index.php?p ... 9&store=08

:)
monsterjazzlicks

SoundworldA.D. wrote:
GD made a few recordings with Airto and Flora Purim in the 1970's.
If I remember correctly, I think Airto and Ms. Purim also guested on George's most excellent "Brazilian Love Affair" album.

BLA is a totally superb album and yes, Flora and Airto afe featured on it.
monsterjazzlicks

Andy Keys wrote:
monsterjazzlicks wrote:There is a GD Tutorial Video from the 1980's which is supposed to be excellent. i have never seen it but he talks about 'solo construction', 'composition' and 'vocalist accomp' apparently. i would really love to see it if any has a copy please ??
You can buy both of GD's master class videos together on one DVD and support his family and legacy. The one on constructing solos is very good. (I don't do much accompanying singers).

DVD link: http://www.mmsies.com/store/index.php?p ... 9&store=08
Thanks Andy, i will have a look mate.