Recurring dream (aka "guess the synth")

Talk about anything here
Parsifal

Recurring dream (aka "guess the synth")

Post by Parsifal »

I keep on dreaming a recurring dream lately which involves a synth. No matter how many times I dreamt, I still haven't figured out which synth it is. It may be a simple brain dream fiction, or it may have a counterpart in real world. So I appeal to any of your to guess that piece of hardware I keep on dreaming of.

Now - the details.
It's absolutely positively 100 % sure that it's a 76 note synth. Not 61, not 64, not 72, not 88.
It's almost certain it's a vintage instrument (or at least an older synth).
It has no sequencer whatsoever.
I strongly suspect it's a Roland but I cannot rule out other companies.

I'm inclined towards Roland JX-10 (Roland Super JX) but I'm not sure. What do you think?
JunoJohn

Re: Recurring dream (aka "guess the synth")

Post by JunoJohn »

For Roland, I can think of…

JX-10 (you mentioned)
D-70
JV-90
Juno-Stage (it looks like a vintage synth)

Tell us more about your dream ;-)
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

JunoJohn wrote:For Roland, I can think of…

JX-10 (you mentioned)
D-70
JV-90
Juno-Stage (it looks like a vintage synth)

Tell us more about your dream ;-)
Well, it's nothing spectacular: I walk into a pub during the break hours and there is a band rehearsal, a friend of mine. (the "friend" part is not always the same person and sometimes his identity is simply undisclosed to me, he's "just someone I know"). He plays this instrument and I ask him permission to try it too. I get seated, bring the chair closer, adjust the instrument onto the X frame, play a few notes (chords, etc.) then a third person enters the pub and he's a mutual friend. I get up for a casual conversation and the dream slowly fades away. I simply don't get enough "time" into the dream in order to figure out which synth it is. :)
The only amount of info I've been able to provide is due to the recurring status and that I've been able to put bits and pieces one on top of another during different "sessions" of the same dream.
I really need to tell the 3rd person to piss off and let me play a little longer next time :D

It's definitely not Juno Stage. It may be a JV-90 or a D-70 but seems bulkier to me. That's why I settled for the JX 10. Or maybe it's a different manufacturer than Roland.

P.S. I've got quite a few experiences about recurring dreams. I also dreamt I learnt something in my dream and when I woke up I knew that stuff. That's how I learnt to use a bicycle: I dreamt about it. Passed a few exams this way too :) Just dreamt the lesson and when I woke up I knew everything about it, even better than reading it when awake. It's like I'm connected to a mind Matrix when I sleep. :)
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

Gotta be the D-70. Your dream wants you to check out those awesome filters it has, great presets and the batshit crazy Roland operating system it has!
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

Leh173 wrote:the batshit crazy Roland operating system it has!
Is that a good or a bad thing?

Besides, I finally managed to find out what it was: an E-synth (by E-MU). The weird part is I wasn't even aware of this synth existence until recently. I may have been mistaken about the sequencer part, I still don't know whether E-synth has a sequencer or not. Stuff in your dreams doesn't always have the same specs as in the real world :)
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

Well the D-70's operating system can be a source of frustration or amusement depending on how you look at it! I personally like to wonder about how much Sake the the engineers went through when the they designed it back in 1989, or if it was designed by three different people who never spoke to each other, who then never spoke to the person that wrote the manaul! Sounds glorious though, so who cares!

Never heard of the E-synth.. I'm sure synths in dreams are always better than the real ones anyway. :-P
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

Leh173 wrote:
Never heard of the E-synth.. I'm sure synths in dreams are always better than the real ones anyway. :-P
Couldn't have been said better. Checked a few E-synth demos and sounded like crap :D
Rodan

Post by Rodan »

Parsifal wrote: Checked a few E-synth demos and sounded like crap :D
'You didn't really indicate if this was a pleasant dream or a nightmare.
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

Rodan wrote:
Parsifal wrote: Checked a few E-synth demos and sounded like crap :D
'You didn't really indicate if this was a pleasant dream or a nightmare.
Well, it really doesn't matter but I guess it's neither. It completely lacks any nightmare characteristics and still doesn't contain much excitement... I barely get to press the keys a few strokes and the scene unfolds, I need to get up to say hi to the newcomer and that's it. Not knowing the synth was all that bugged me, really. But hey, it's cool, I haven't had this dream for quite a while and - since I solved the puzzle - I don't expect I'll have it any more.