Favourite Classic Rock of the 60's and 70's

Talk about anything here
Andy Keys

Re: Favourite Classic Rock of the 60's and 70's

Post by Andy Keys »

It's called 'The Black Page' because it has so many notes!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP8O1vo14y8

Oh, I think 10cc's 'I'm not in love' is great. It might just be the 4th best love song ever written.
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

And so I shall proffer enlightenment!

Here is a piece from Modern Drummer. It's a long interview, but a worthwhile read. http://www.vinniecolaiuta.com/articles/ ... mer82.aspx

Even before Vinnie talks about the Black Page, Zappa had him doing stuff in 21/16 time!! WTF?? LOL And I thought Dream Theater and Yes were insane. :)

And the article from Wikipedia about the Black Page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Page

For your viewing listening enjoyment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDQE82ElyJg

And though not directly related to The Black Page, this is a wonderful short interview with Steve Vai. He recounts his audition for Zappa. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx1RguHA4XE

Enjoy!!!! ;)
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

Andy Keys wrote:It's called 'The Black Page' because it has so many notes!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP8O1vo14y8

Oh, I think 10cc's 'I'm not in love' is great. It might just be the 4th best love song ever written.
Okay Andy, I'll bite! What are the three love songs that rank above it? Inquiring (addled) minds want to know. :)
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

:) For me, in reverse order (can you feel the tension mounting?) it would go...

4) I'm Not In Love (10cc)
3) If I Can't Have You (Yvonne Elliman)
2) Indiscipline (King Crimson)
1) Great Balls of Fire (Jerry Lee Lewis)
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Actually, witnessing that particular version of Indiscipline is enough to sneek it into #1 ahead of GBoF. Astoundingly good stuff.

I LIKE IT!
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

I think Mr. Keys was having us on a bit with Indiscipline being a "love song" but what a killer tune nonetheless. Speaking of KC, if you haven’t seen a live concert where they have the full 6 man lineup consisting of Fripp, Belew,Tony Levin, Trey Gunn, Bill Bruford and Pat Mastellotto you need to watch it. Great stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4kbkzCdSYw

OK, so only 4 love songs? Absolutely no way the Soundworlder can chill out with only 4! So, in fine Soundworld fashion, here are the Doogenator’s Top 20 Classic Rock hoedowns!

1) Bryan Adams Have You Really Ever Loved A Woman
2) Neil Young Harvest Moon
3) The Beatles Something
4) Bread If
5) The Who Sunrise
6) 10CC I’m Not in Love
7) Queen She Makes Me (Stormtroopers in Stiletto’s)
8) America I Need You
9) Chicago Colour My World
10) Steve Miller Wild Mountain Honey
11) Fleetwood Mac Warm Ways
12) Foreigner Waiting For A Girl Like You
13) Elton John Love Song
14) ELP Still…You Turn Me On
15) Genesis Afterglow
16) Hall & Oates One on One
17) Moody Blues In My World
18) King Crimson Matte Kudasai
19) The Hollies The Air That I Breathe
20) Journey Send Her My Love
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

So, the mighty Soundworld has thrown the gauntlet! GOOD!

I'll pick it up sir and synths at dawn! (Some of these are "lost" love songs BTW)

1. Something - The Beatles (No surprise there)
2. Somedays - Paul McCartney
3. Woman - John Lennon
4. Touch Me - The Doors (yep, even menage a trois has room for love ;))
5. Jealous Guy - John Lennon
6. Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman - Bryan Adams
7. Love Reign O'er Me - The Who
8. The Long and Winding Road - The Beatles
9. Fields of Gold - Sting
10. For No One - The Beatles (amazingly mature song considering Macca was what? 24 years old when he wrote this?)
11. Gettin' in Tune - The Who
12. To One in Paradise - The Alan Parsons Project (a RARE love song from these geniuses)
13. Visions of Paradise - The Moody Blues
14. I know You're Out There Somewhere - The Moody Blues
15. The Question - The Moody Blues (the slower part is truly something from the heart)
16. Maybe I'm Amazed - Paul McCartney (NO list of love songs is complete without this towering classic)
17. Forever Autumn - performed by Justin Hayward
18. Celtic Heart - Justin Hayward (beautiful, exquisite, not enough superlatives for this little known song)
19. Time in a Bottle - Jim Croce (maybe thought of as hackneyed by some, but, a classic nonetheless)
20. Desert Rose - Sting
21. Songbird - Fleetwood Mac
22. Silver Springs - Fleetwood Mac
23. Your Song - Elton John
24. Tiny Dancer - Elton John
25. L'amour Looks Something Like You - Kate Bush

Have at you!!!

It's just a flesh wound!!!
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

And since we're in the lists - get it Soundworld? ;)

I thought it would fun to compile a list of bands/artists NOT known for love songs. Only rule is no punk rock or heavy metal; those are too easy.

1. Pink Floyd (by FAR. I am wracking my brain to think of even ONE actual love song from them)
2. The Alan Parsons Project
3. Kate Bush
4. Led Zeppelin
5. Rush

So, there HAS to be more. Now I throw the gauntlet. :) howardS, Andy? Soundworld? Bueller?
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

I was able to compile a quickie list:

1) Spooky Tooth (Evil Woman? Not much love there!)
2) It's A Beautiful Day (Now, now...White Bird doesn't count!)
3) Gentle Giant (The Advent of Panurge, Raconteur Troubadour and A Dog's Life? Only serious stuff here! Love it!)
4) Mott The Hoople (I think All The Youngs Dudes just wanted to get drunk and get laid!)
5) Savoy Brown (Street Corner Talking ain't got no time for love! Don't Tell Mama!)

As for Pink Floyd, agreed that they weren't known for such, but I always considered "Stay" off of Obscurred By Clouds a right nice little lovely number. Those "midnight moon" breaks are just so beautiful!

And just in case some get the idea that the Floyd didn't have a right nice sense of proper British style, just give a listen to San Tropez off of Meddle...what a gas!
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

SoundworldA.D. wrote:I think Mr. Keys was having us on a bit with Indiscipline being a "love song" but what a killer tune nonetheless. Speaking of KC, if you haven’t seen a live concert where they have the full 6 man lineup consisting of Fripp, Belew,Tony Levin, Trey Gunn, Bill Bruford and Pat Mastellotto you need to watch it.
Really, Soundworld? Maybe it's just me, then (or the women in my life, but don't tell them). I don't want to get into the habit of posting endless lyrics here, so I'll give you a link ... Indiscipline lyrics. That screams love song to me.

You're absolutely right about the double trio formation of King Crimson, though. Wonderful stuff. I'm going to watch deja VROOOM to remind myself just how right you are :)

Cheers
Andy
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

One of the most amazing things I've seen on those KC DVD's is where Adrian Belew comes out solo with just an acoustic guitar and plays and sings Frame By Frame, which has a very tricky arpeggio. That is amazing enough, but the guy never hits a wrong note and carries the vocals as well with aplomb!

Another tidbit from Indiscipline. On the Live From Japan DVD (I was just watching it yesterday on YT and made it a favorite but they have already taken it down for copyright today) right where Belew sings "playing little games", Bruford pulls out this little percussion gadget and does his little thing and just gets this mile wide grin on his face just like a shy little boy...puts a smile on my face everytime!

Another highlight from that DVD...Belew is doing some of his usual antics and theatrics on his guitar and the usually stoic Fripp gets this big smile on his face...now that is pulling one off! Way to go Adrian!