The MTV Generation

Talk about anything here
SoundworldA.D.

The MTV Generation

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

After the tumultuous 60’s and 70’s, and having survived the disco years as a long-haired hippie, I was there on that fateful day in 1981 when a new musical concept was born with the name of Music Television, or MTV. Good music was still good music of course, but the additional art form of video juxtaposed with it breathed new life into and made some instant classics of tunes which otherwise would have just been memorable pop tunes.

This experiment had the bonus of exposing me to several bands that I otherwise would probably never have heard of. And so, here is my list of personal favorites from that early 80’s MTV era.

1) Duran Duran
2) Tears For Fears
3) Simple Minds
4) Level 42
5) Icehouse
6) INXS
7) Go West
8) The Police
9) Madonna
10) A-ha
11) Bourgeois Tagg
12) The Cars
13) Crowded House
14) Def Leppard
15) Thomas Dolby
16) The Eurythmics/Annie Lennox
17) The Fixx
18) Human League
19) Joe Jackson
20) Killing Joke
21) Madness
22) Men At Work
23) Modern English
24) Mr. Mister
25) Naked Eyes
26) Oingo Boingo
27) Pet Shop Boys
28) Spandau Ballet
29) Talk Talk
30) Wall of Voodoo

As for what happened to MTV, I guess we'll just have to chalk that one up to crass commercialization, for it doesn't appear to be about MUSIC anymore! :-(
Vlad_77

Re: The MTV Generation

Post by Vlad_77 »

SoundworldA.D. wrote:After the tumultuous 60’s and 70’s, and having survived the disco years as a long-haired hippie, I was there on that fateful day in 1981 when a new musical concept was born with the name of Music Television, or MTV. Good music was still good music of course, but the additional art form of video juxtaposed with it breathed new life into and made some instant classics of tunes which otherwise would have just been memorable pop tunes.

This experiment had the bonus of exposing me to several bands that I otherwise would probably never have heard of. And so, here is my list of personal favorites from that early 80’s MTV era.

1) Duran Duran
2) Tears For Fears
3) Simple Minds
4) Level 42
5) Icehouse
6) INXS
7) Go West
8) The Police
9) Madonna
10) A-ha
11) Bourgeois Tagg
12) The Cars
13) Crowded House
14) Def Leppard
15) Thomas Dolby
16) The Eurythmics/Annie Lennox
17) The Fixx
18) Human League
19) Joe Jackson
20) Killing Joke
21) Madness
22) Men At Work
23) Modern English
24) Mr. Mister
25) Naked Eyes
26) Oingo Boingo
27) Pet Shop Boys
28) Spandau Ballet
29) Talk Talk
30) Wall of Voodoo

As for what happened to MTV, I guess we'll just have to chalk that one up to crass commercialization, for it doesn't appear to be about MUSIC anymore! :-(
Although my "holy trinity plus a "pope" - The Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Who plus The Moody Blues - are my top four inspirations, Soundworld listed some VERY serious artists in his list. A few favorites from his list for me and why:

Tears for Fears: I STILL like these guys a lot, and, in an era of throwaway synth pop - yep, a bad thing for a keyboard player to say - these two guys displayed an amazing versatility. Shout to me is such a great song because it seems to defy many of the conventions of the 80s. As you listen to the song, notice its growing menace and a nice bit of nasty guitar that grows into the song.

Simple Minds: To me, possibly a more versatile band than U2 - of whom I am a huge fan. In America, they are largely remembered for their monster hit Don't You Forget About Me from the film The Breakfast Club. But, Simple Minds was far from "simple." Check out this gorgeous song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vhhTvcLoRw

Duran Duran: A pity this band gets dismissed as a pretty boy band. They took a lot of chances and their sense of arrangement was IMHO among the best of the 80's. But what really hit me in retrospect is the song Ordinary World. Duran Duran once again reinvented themselves and I think gained a lot of respect and lost the pretty boy image.

The Eurythmics/Annie Lennox: Dave and Annie together and each on their own just pure genius! Multilayered, complex compositions with some unforgettable synth riffs. And Annie hasn't lost a single note from her incredible range, from the floating harmonies of No More I Love Yous to her perfect rendition of Into the West, the beautiful song that ends The Return of the King.

The Cars: One of the BEST of the "new wave" bands. Ocasek wrote some amazing music and their chart success didn't wholly depend on formulaic pop. And, R.I.P. Benjamin Orr who wrote a simple but memorable song "Drive"

Thomas Dolby: Come on folks, we're keyboard players and in this case, need I say more?

Def Leppard: Ahh yes!! Their big influence was/is Led Zeppelin, but, unlike copycats Oasys with The Beatles, Def Leppard managed to create their own sound and identity.

The Police: At times raw and at times lush, this band was so packed with talent it's almost obscene!

A few bands/artists I would nominate from that era include:

Depeche Mode
The Cure
Dream Academy
Big Country
Cyndi Lauper
Living Color
Pat Benatar ( IMHO, any woman who sings rock owes Pat Benatar, Janis Joplin, and Grace Slick a HUGE thank you)
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Aye! What a lovely B&W video! The Minds could be seen as sort of the Scottish version of U2, but they were indeed stars in their own right and had their own sound. Jim Kerr had one of those voices that could just tickle the senses. Too bad most only get to hear their monster hits like "Forget."

As for my personal fave, TFF, they truly reinvented themselves several times over. As the story goes, Orzabal and Smith were on tour in Kansas City and went to a local club to blow off some steam and saw and heard this angelic voice. Next thing we know, said angelic voice was joining the band!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkmfOIvHzD4
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

If I'd make a top 5 of the 80s it would be like this:
1. Dancing with tears in my eyes - Ultravox. Even today when I hear it I feel my stomach muscles clenching as I witness the inner emotion of the song. When I first heard it I wandered one week without aim, the music resounding in my mind. Dunno why - maybe because my teen years witnessed Chernobyl accident? A wonderfully sad song. It might not be the greatest song but it is MY song, so to speak.
2. Drive - The Cars. Pure perfection. Music meets emotion on equal ground.
3. Holding back the years - Simply Red. The song who makes you feel old even when you're a youngster. If you really see your life unfolding before you die, this must be the song in the background.
4. Woman in chains - Tears for Fears. The song that made you understand your wife before she even was your girlfriend.
5. Africa - Toto. As a kid I had the strange impression I needed to find a book which held a secret - the whole video stuff having to do with a book only strengthened that impression :)

Okay, another 5 to go:

6. Bakerman - Laid Back. Bakerman is making bread. What more to say?
7. Owner of a lonely heart - Yes. Things having to do with East Europe and secret police. Or at least that's what the video seems to show.
8. Don't dream is over - Crowded House. Bittersweet happiness meets spicy sadness. Which one overcomes the other and ... more precisely, when?
9. Being boring - Pet Shop Boys. A falsely bland orchestration which only adds to the mystery of the song. Is this a prophecy or a confession?
10. Once in a lifetime - Talking Heads. Last but not least.

Notable contenders: Baker Street (Gerry Rafferty - not quite the 80s), Safety Dance (Men without hats), We build this city (Starship) and many more others.
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

"Blue Eyed Soul" doesn't get any more soulful than Simply Red! What's that? Boy George? Well, yeah, the boy could sing some soulful stuff too! "Holding Back the Years" is such a lovely tune. I remember the first SR video I saw was "The Right Thing" which is a real blaster!

I will have to listen to the Ultravox song you mentioned as I don't know that I've ever heard it. I always liked "Reap the Wild Wind".

Crowded House's "Don't Dream It's Over" is such a classic, along with some of my other faves like OMD's "So In Love" and Naked Eyes "Always Something There To Remind Me."

And "Once In A Lifetime" always makes My fave videos:

1) A-ha "Take On Me" (Those animated pencil art shots just were so compelling and wonderfully done!)
2) Dire Straits "Money For Nothing" (The cartoons are fun, but the lyrics? Devastatingly hilarious!)
3) Duran Duran "The Reflex" (Just drips with energy and passion...the "waterfall" scene is a winner!)
4) The Police "Synchronicity" (Surreal world set on a soundstage at its best!)
5) Billy Joel "Pressure" (Falling through the floor into a dream....nuff said!)
6) Talking Heads "Once In A Lifetime" (We never thought of underground water the same again!)
7) Thomas Dolby "She Blinded Me With Science" (Good Heaven Miss Sakamoto!)
8) Wall Of Voodoo "Mexican Radio" (Tijuana and Iguana's? Oh yeah!)
9) Madness "Our House" (bleeds with English pop sensibilities and makes you feel good!)
10) Herbie Hancock "Rock It" (Yes!)

Another great 80's band that I inadvertently left out and just have to mention was Cutting Crew. I Just Died In Your Arms of course was a monster video hit, but my favourite from them has to be "I've Been In Love Before". "The hardest part is when you're in it." Indeed!