Power Conditioners

Talk about anything here
Andy Keys

Power Conditioners

Post by Andy Keys »

Hi all, what are people's views on power conditioners for gigging?

Ed Diaz recommends a surge protector in his "What should be in keyboardist's equipment bag" video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYYAqPGnel8, but looking around online I see mixed opinions that range from scam to essential.

I've got a full year of gigs booked in lots of pubs and a couple.of festivals, many of them unknown quantities so far, and I'm wondering if £100 is fair insurance against spikes and dirty power.

Cheers
Andy
Quinnx.

Re: Power Conditioners

Post by Quinnx. »

With that many bookings there is more chance for electrical damage so..
I would not risk the damage for the sake of $100.
cello

Post by cello »

For kronos a UPS is essential, even for home use - it is so essential (it would appear) that Korg really should supply one free of charge!

For anything else a UPS is not essential, anywhere.
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

A Tripp Lite IsoBar is sufficient protection from power surges and spikes. Regardless of the board, I wouldn't gig without one. Get the Tripp Lite - don't cheap out on the SPD. Having a good earth ground is crucial for proper operation of the surge protector. An outlet tester can help to determine if you have a decent ground.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Devor is right...grab an outlet tester as well. I always use mine.

Also, if you are using a board that takes long to boot up then you may also want to get a UPS. Another reason to get a UPS is to keep things running smoothly when connected to a laptop. I know the battery in the laptop keeps the laptop going but if the power for a keyboard that is sending MIDI data through USB cycles off briefly then the laptop may assign a new port to the keyboard when it turns back on. This is very bad. ;)