Shoddy Showmanship!

Talk about anything here
Synth Guru

Shoddy Showmanship!

Post by Synth Guru »

Lately, I’ve been watching a lot of concerts and music festivals on Palladia. It wasn’t very long and I noticed that quite a few bands, for reasons beyond my comprehension, seem to be purposely hiding their keyboards. Some have encased their entire rig behind crappy looking wooden cases while others appear to have replaced the keyboard’s outer shell as if to hide their maker. IMO this takes away from the professional appearance of the stage instrument. If it were me, I’d want to show the fans the keys I’m playing. I believe the instrument is a reflection of the musician and that the gear should look their best at all times. “To each their own” I guess. Today I even saw a male musician wearing fuzzy pink slippers while performing. Go figure! LoL
Synthtron

Re: Shoddy Showmanship!

Post by Synthtron »

I remember when some would use gaffer tape to cover logos. Not me! This pic was from a performance last week.

Synth Guru

Post by Synth Guru »

I remember when some would use gaffer tape to cover logos. Not me! This pic was from a performance last week.
I too have seen rigs covered in tape. Glad to see you're a musician who stands up for his gear. Looks good!
Macska

Post by Macska »

I think part of it may be that musicians don't want people connecting their ability and sound with a particular brand. How many times have you been in a shop and heard someone come in asking "which guitar did Stevie Ray Vaughan use? I wanna sound just like him!" Heck, once I went up to the stage after Al di Meola was done playing and excitedly recognizing everything he uses! He saw me out there and said hi, I always wonder what must go through his head. Something like "Ha another fan thinks my gear makes those sounds!" haha of course, with guitar synths you are pretty limited in options.

I personally am happy to show off my gear. I do wonder about different motives people may have. For example Yanni used what, 6 tritons in his Acropolis performance? I think the logo was covered on those and I play it out in my head that his management team called up Korg asking for sponsorship/marketing money and they said no, so they decided to cover it up. Just my guess there though.

It's difficult for us gear enthusiasts to empathize with those who would hide their rig from our curious eyes!
Synth Guru

Post by Synth Guru »

Macska wrote:I think part of it may be that musicians don't want people connecting their ability and sound with a particular brand. How many times have you been in a shop and heard someone come in asking "which guitar did Stevie Ray Vaughan use? I wanna sound just like him!" Heck, once I went up to the stage after Al di Meola was done playing and excitedly recognizing everything he uses! He saw me out there and said hi, I always wonder what must go through his head. Something like "Ha another fan thinks my gear makes those sounds!" haha of course, with guitar synths you are pretty limited in options.

I personally am happy to show off my gear. I do wonder about different motives people may have. For example Yanni used what, 6 tritons in his Acropolis performance? I think the logo was covered on those and I play it out in my head that his management team called up Korg asking for sponsorship/marketing money and they said no, so they decided to cover it up. Just my guess there though.

It's difficult for us gear enthusiasts to empathize with those who would hide their rig from our curious eyes!
It's quite an intriguing practice! I just watched my second episode of "Live from Daryl's House" on the Palladia channel and wouldn't you know it, Daryl himself is playing a keyboard and it has a long strip of tape on the back and the show's logo sticker covering the keyboard manufacturer name and model. Un-frickin' unbelievable!
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Macska wrote: For example Yanni used what, 6 tritons in his Acropolis performance? I think the logo was covered on those and I play it out in my head that his management team called up Korg asking for sponsorship/marketing money and they said no, so they decided to cover it up. Just my guess there though.

I am sure that something like that is why big name acts cover brand logos.
Jay P80

Post by Jay P80 »

Synthtron wrote:
Macska wrote: For example Yanni used what, 6 tritons in his Acropolis performance? I think the logo was covered on those and I play it out in my head that his management team called up Korg asking for sponsorship/marketing money and they said no, so they decided to cover it up. Just my guess there though.

I am sure that something like that is why big name acts cover brand logos.
Most pro players unless they were endorsed by a particular brand or had some prior deal with TV advertisement had to (at least until recently in the UK) cover up any logos on keyboards For any performance which was for TV etc as it was classed as advertisement,and caused legal difficulties with Brand advertisement.it wasn't just keyboards but anything that displays a named brand logo,I'm sure all that has changed now as some programmes have to display the product placement logo on there programmes when they broadcast I've seen a few recent performances by artists with there keyboard logos showing on there synths.

I don't know about the rest of you,but as a Gear synth geek guy,doesn't matter whether pros cover up the Logo you can work out what synth it is anyway...if you know your gear you can tell it by the shape and any knobs no need for logos...even more apparent with Nord Gear,can't mistake the red livery.

I don't cover up my gear,its been a conversation starter with many people interested in synths/technology at my gigs anyway,I'm proud of the instruments I use I'm not a pro but happy to show off what synths I use,I don't think pros are ashamed of the gear association if they cover logos its about advertisement regulations that they have to confirm too that's all.

The Best use of a keyboard Logo I've seen was Magne Furuholmen(a-ha)he used to have a DX-7 on stage and covered up the YAM leaving the AHA..... Remaining.....Genius...beat the advertisement laws and promote your band!!!

so call your band after some acronym of one of your synths names and blackout the relevant letters....could be a use for the name Poland!!