Moog Mother 32

Talk about anything here
Synth Guru

Moog Mother 32

Post by Synth Guru »

The Mother32 is a Eurorack synth module that is a basic all-in-one synth voice. It comes in its own case, but can also be mounted in a Eurorack system. Architecturally, it is a single-VCO Moog synth voice – but with 32 audio and control voltage patch points, a built-in sequencer and ‘Moog sound’.

We had the opportunity to get some hands-on time with the new Moog Eurorack synth with Moog’s Steve Dunnington. The Mother32 promises to be a inexpensive standalone Moog synth module and also a great starting point for building a Eurorack modular system.

Moog was not allowing anyone to take pictures or record video yet, because the Mother32 is scheduled to be officially introduced in October. But read on for the details that we can share now!

Key Features:

• All-in-one Moog synth voice in Eurorack format
• Can be used as a standalone desktop synth module or as part of a Euro system
• MIDI & CV control
• 32 patch points
• Built-in step sequencer, with per-note control over a large number of parameters, including gate length and ratcheting

The Moog Mother32 is expected to be available in early October, priced at US $599.
I took another guided tour of the Mother-32. Here are some notes from memory.

$599 is the street price.

The sequencer has memory for 64 patterns. You can get 303-like patterns out of it by assigning glide, gate length, and accent per step.

The sequencer has ratcheting, which is a repetition of a note up to 4 times per step. Ratcheting can be adjusted on the fly while the sequence is playing

The voice is not exactly from the Werkstatt. But there is some sort of relationship.

They had three of them chained together, producing kick, snare, hihat and melody lines. If you're counting, that's 4 sounds out of three single-osc monosynths. One of the Mother-32s was set up so the pitch of the drum osc was varied from low to high on alternating steps, producing a kick-snare pattern.

There is a noise source that can be mixed with the regular oscillator sound.

I was particularly impressed with the sound of the kick/snare. Very solid. I'm most likely going to buy one at some point.
This is gonna rock! Just think of the sonic possibilities synths will be able to achieve hooked up to this mutha-hubba ;)
Synth Guru

Re: Moog Mother 32

Post by Synth Guru »

Here's a leaked pic of the Mother!

I'm gonna start saving for this one. :-)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (195.88 KiB) Viewed 879 times