So is Roland going to make a new Flagship Keyboard?

Talk about anything here
Fourfiftyfour

So is Roland going to make a new Flagship Keyboard?

Post by Fourfiftyfour »

It's been some years now with the Jupiter 80 dead. I'm anxious to see what they replace it with. This is why I love being a fan of both Korg and Roland always anxious to see how they're going to try to top the other. I could picture Rolands next flagship being like DSI's Prophet X mixed with a Jupiter 80. I can't wait and do mean I can't wait to see what they're going to show us when they finally do.
Devnor

Re: So is Roland going to make a new Flagship Keyboard?

Post by Devnor »

I'm optimistic there will be a new synth but the future appears to be hardware integration with roland cloud.
kday

Post by kday »

Roland has been discouraged from the sales of the Fantom G, a keyboard that should not have been made, because it offered nothing new, and it didn't sell too well. If Roland makes a new innovative keyboard like they used to, they can make profits like Yamaha and Korg does with their innovative workstations each year. Roland would need to pick up where the Fantom X left off. With Sampling, Flash Rom, Touch Screen and maybe throw an Analog synth in there and I'm sure it will sell. Korg and Yamaha's new feature workstations sold and well. Roland can do it too if they ever come out of their Fantom G shock.
Kenn159

Post by Kenn159 »

If Roland came out with a new hardware based sampler as advanced on Kontakt with advanced modeling as well, that would be way cool.
zombietactics

Post by zombietactics »

Something "huge" will be announced at NAMM 2019 ... perhaps shortly before depending upon market buzz.
Fourfiftyfour

Post by Fourfiftyfour »

Probably a TR8S-R now with the ability to actually record samples and not just load them.
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

Roland VL-1
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

kday wrote:Roland has been discouraged from the sales of the Fantom G, a keyboard that should not have been made, because it offered nothing new, and it didn't sell too well. If Roland makes a new innovative keyboard like they used to, they can make profits like Yamaha and Korg does with their innovative workstations each year. Roland would need to pick up where the Fantom X left off. With Sampling, Flash Rom, Touch Screen and maybe throw an Analog synth in there and I'm sure it will sell. Korg and Yamaha's new feature workstations sold and well. Roland can do it too if they ever come out of their Fantom G shock.
But I thought the Fantom G was a huge leap compared to the Fantom X. It did not stay on the market long enough for me to get one to upgrade my Fantom X6 to.
Going from 8 tracks of Audio to 24 tracks and being able to handle 32 tracks of MIDI (16 internal and 16 external) instead of 16 and using USB memory verses the slow compact flash all were pretty innovative and welcomed additions to the Fantom. The only Downside I see was not supporting the SRX cards but on the plus side the Fantom G also doubled the wave memory of the Fantom X. A lot of good points.
I think Roland should keep the concept of the Fantom G and update the sound engine to also include ACB legacy synths and increase its PCM sound Library to the size of what the Integra has.
Duplobaustein

Post by Duplobaustein »

The JD XA is the current flagship. And it hasn’t sold that well, as the JP80.
kday

Post by kday »

Synthtron wrote:
kday wrote:Roland has been discouraged from the sales of the Fantom G, a keyboard that should not have been made, because it offered nothing new, and it didn't sell too well. If Roland makes a new innovative keyboard like they used to, they can make profits like Yamaha and Korg does with their innovative workstations each year. Roland would need to pick up where the Fantom X left off. With Sampling, Flash Rom, Touch Screen and maybe throw an Analog synth in there and I'm sure it will sell. Korg and Yamaha's new feature workstations sold and well. Roland can do it too if they ever come out of their Fantom G shock.
But I thought the Fantom G was a huge leap compared to the Fantom X. It did not stay on the market long enough for me to get one to upgrade my Fantom X6 to.
Going from 8 tracks of Audio to 24 tracks and being able to handle 32 tracks of MIDI (16 internal and 16 external) instead of 16 and using USB memory verses the slow compact flash all were pretty innovative and welcomed additions to the Fantom. The only Downside I see was not supporting the SRX cards but on the plus side the Fantom G also doubled the wave memory of the Fantom X. A lot of good points.
I think Roland should keep the concept of the Fantom G and update the sound engine to also include ACB legacy synths and increase its PCM sound Library to the size of what the Integra has.
Fantom G was nothing worth upgrading to for all those who had Fantom X's, it would have been ok as a new synth to by if the feature set was working for you. But It's all about new sounds and sound engines and sampling abilities to make new sounds and new technology options as Korg and Yamaha offers in their newer flagship synths. Roland took away a lot of features in the Fantom G. So to many Fantom X buyers the "G" was no upgrade but a downgrade with less sounds. Roland needs both the massive loyal customer base as well as new buyers. So they lost their loyal customer base because their was no reason to upgrade and new buyers had choices from Yamaha and Korg and others offering huge new palette of sounds and Arps or loop generators built into their synths and additional sound engines and Rom or Flash storage and HD options etc. While Roland offered none of the new technology in their Fantom G. I myself wanted to upgrade to Fantom G but saw it as a step backwards, unlike Korg and Yamaha when they make new flagship keyboards.
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

The Fantom X was a luxury XP80.
Gigantolog

Post by Gigantolog »

The XP50 sound engine even with a basic sequencer helped me create my best music. Regrettably, I sold it and lost floppy disk cards. I wish Roland would make a workstation with JV1080 sounds and an updated sequencer. Come on Roland let's do this. A workstation keyboard is so much more musical than DAW .
Fourfiftyfour

Post by Fourfiftyfour »

Gigantolog wrote:The XP50 sound engine even with a basic sequencer helped me create my best music. Regrettably, I sold it and lost floppy disk cards. I wish Roland would make a workstation with JV1080 sounds and an updated sequencer. Come on Roland let's do this. A workstation keyboard is so much more musical than DAW .
Wouldn't that be like a keyboard version of the Integra?
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Obviously no new flagship at the musikmesse this year ;-(
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Fantom G was nothing worth upgrading to for all those who had Fantom X's, it would have been ok as a new synth to by if the feature set was working for you. But It's all about new sounds and sound engines and sampling abilities to make new sounds and new technology options as Korg and Yamaha offers in their newer flagship synths. Roland took away a lot of features in the Fantom G. So to many Fantom X buyers the "G" was no upgrade but a downgrade with less sounds. Roland needs both the massive loyal customer base as well as new buyers. So they lost their loyal customer base because their was no reason to upgrade and new buyers had choices from Yamaha and Korg and others offering huge new palette of sounds and Arps or loop generators built into their synths and additional sound engines and Rom or Flash storage and HD options etc. While Roland offered none of the new technology in their Fantom G. I myself wanted to upgrade to Fantom G but saw it as a step backwards, unlike Korg and Yamaha when they make new flagship keyboards.
For music recording the Fantom-G offered much, much more than the Fantom X6. I understand that the sound engine was not much of an improvement over the Fantom X. But for people like me that did not care for a computer DAW The Fantom G offered double the MIDI tracks (and more MIDI outputs) and 3 times the audio tracks for recording. I wish Roland would revisit the same idea as the Fantom G but this time incorporate its ACB models of the Jupiter/Juno/JX and the DCB D-50 along side the PCM or even supernatural sound engines. Sampling would be a great option too of course.