I wish Roland would make a new Fantom

Talk about anything here
Synthtron

I wish Roland would make a new Fantom

Post by Synthtron »

My Fantom X6 has been well loved and is now in need of some repair (a couple button contact switches are not working good and my right audio output audio jack is shot/does not work). I wish Roland would create a new Fantom Workstation because for me the FA series does NOT cut it. I really liked the Fantom G but before I got around to getting one they were already out of production. How long did they produce them? my answer: Not long enough.
Not sure Roland will release another workstation, the kind like the Fantom G or X which were all-in one music production synths but if they did I would love to see them go all out with their current technology too.

Could you imagine a Fantom that had all of the SRX boards built into it and the Supernatural sounds found in the Integra and the more recent Jupiter series topped off with ACB models of all of their legacy synths: Jupiter, Juno, JX and D series and drum machines including the TR-808 and TR-909?
They could really create one awesome machine. Well at least for me because I still prefer hardware instruments over using a computer as my workstation.
I liked the direction of the Fantom G with its 24 audio tracks, it's proper sequencer (not those little phrase sequencers that are not useful for writing whole songs they put on everything now) that could control via MIDI 16 internal parts and 16 external devices. Also it stored on the convenient USB memory sticks instead of the slow as ever Compact Flash cards.

Will Roland ever do it again and create another workstation? Will they ever revive the Fantom?
Rodan

Re: I wish Roland would make a new Fantom

Post by Rodan »

I wonder if the workstation we dream of has become such a big software design effort that a hardware company like Roland will no longer take it on? Thinking back on all the years of Fantom X and Fantom G posts, a large number of them related to software features rather than hardware. It must be difficult to keep a software team working on features and bug fixes with the profits from a low volume production product like a workstation.

Still, if they have been able to keep their code development modularized, one can imagine pulling many pieces together into one workstation. Probably really comes down to whether they use a common processor architecture in their various synths and keyboards, or if each gets designed by a different team.
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

A hybrid rompler, super natural and ACB with a robust control surface would be a dream. So, $3500-4000 out of the gate? With exception of the control surface, I already have this in spades with Roland Cloud and my Jupiter 80. Where's the value? Where's the beef?
Duplobaustein

Post by Duplobaustein »

Roland has everything to blow out the Kronos and Montag away, but somehow they just don’t do it.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Synthtron wrote:My Fantom X6 has been well loved and is now in need of some repair (a couple button contact switches are not working good and my right audio output audio jack is shot/does not work). I wish Roland would create a new Fantom Workstation because for me the FA series does NOT cut it. I really liked the Fantom G but before I got around to getting one they were already out of production. How long did they produce them? my answer: Not long enough.
Not sure Roland will release another workstation, the kind like the Fantom G or X which were all-in one music production synths but if they did I would love to see them go all out with their current technology too.

Could you imagine a Fantom that had all of the SRX boards built into it and the Supernatural sounds found in the Integra and the more recent Jupiter series topped off with ACB models of all of their legacy synths: Jupiter, Juno, JX and D series and drum machines including the TR-808 and TR-909?
They could really create one awesome machine. Well at least for me because I still prefer hardware instruments over using a computer as my workstation.
I liked the direction of the Fantom G with its 24 audio tracks, it's proper sequencer (not those little phrase sequencers that are not useful for writing whole songs they put on everything now) that could control via MIDI 16 internal parts and 16 external devices. Also it stored on the convenient USB memory sticks instead of the slow as ever Compact Flash cards.

Will Roland ever do it again and create another workstation? Will they ever revive the Fantom?
Well, we have that new Fantom! It is a bit different than I was hoping. I am still looking into its capabilities.
Rodan

Post by Rodan »

I am stunned! Never really expected this, and to have a whole family of Fantoms just drop out of the blue along with the other new hardware. Don't ever bet on the horse I pick.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Rodan wrote:I am stunned! Never really expected this, and to have a whole family of Fantoms just drop out of the blue along with the other new hardware. Don't ever bet on the horse I pick.
I thought it was really cool. I am not sure why it is limited to 16 tracks of MIDI sequencing though.