Did Roland just D-day us all?

Talk about anything here
Fourfiftyfour

Did Roland just D-day us all?

Post by Fourfiftyfour »

We got hit with a bunch of new kickass synths and gear!!!!

EYWA HAS HEARD YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cello

Re: Did Roland just D-day us all?

Post by cello »

Yes indeed a big day for Roland;

Fantom Platform
Jupiter-X
Jupiter-Xm
JU-06A
MC-707 and 101

I have the Fantom Platform 8 and it is going to shake up the market. Unlike the Kronos, this really is a game changer!
Fourfiftyfour

Post by Fourfiftyfour »

That MC-707 has me confused as a TR8S owner. Like what is the point of owning a TR8S anymore when the MC-707 does the same but better?
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Not what I expected to see in my inbox this morning! Finally, the Fantom returns as a true flagship workstation, looking at the online manuals, it's going to give the Kronos some serious competition. And the Jupiter-X? Just look at it, it's a stunner!

I'm hoping the new Fantom is a stand-alone workstation and can be completely un-tethered from the computer, but still capable of a complete production like the old Fantom-G.

On the down side, with the exception of my Integra, Roland just made my entire studio pretty much obsolete. Oh well!
cello

Post by cello »

Lunar wrote:...

I'm hoping the new Fantom is a stand-alone workstation and can be completely un-tethered from the computer, but still capable of a complete production like the old Fantom-G.
Yes, it can be standalone - no PCs required for production; but does integrate with DAWs should that be the desired workflow.

PS Know what you mean - I've been there too when my studio just went 'so last year'!
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

cello wrote:
Yes, it can be standalone - no PCs required for production; but does integrate with DAWs should that be the desired workflow.

PS Know what you mean - I've been there too when my studio just went 'so last year'!

Thanks Cello, that's what I needed to know. I've nothing against working "in the box", but it can be a PITA sometimes. Nice to have a stand-alone hardware workstation, it's always seemed quicker to get things done to me.

Looks like my studio isn't that obsolete just yet, the new Fantom appears to have the old JV/XV PCM engine on board, as does the Integra. They might be old sounds & samples, but they still sound good!
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

Haha congrats guys. What a stunning pair of synths. Roland is back in a yuge way.
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

This is so awesome. A new Jupiter and a new Fantom. FINALLY!!! Roland are releasing what I have been wanting and waiting for.
Ivan Jochner

Post by Ivan Jochner »

Seems very promising,

Questions which i am very keen to know about :
1. Click out for a drummer?
2. How much Internal Flash memory for samples? How much space does User area contain ?
3. How those SCENES are operated from ? Touch Screen only or knobs/pedals Live Stage use?
5. Are Scenes similar to Studio Sets? ( not ridiculously limited to 64 like on Integra 7?)
4. Is there a Simultaneous use of USB /MIDI 5 pin out ?
5. Does new Fantom support sound compatibility with older Roland boards?
6. SEAMLESS transitioning?
7.Sound expansions?

( I wish Roland implements a Mixer with 8 sliders for MP3 backingtracks and kind of knob switching between mixing Internal sounds within a Set and playback tracks). My dream will come true!!!

Thanks!
Ivan Jochner

Post by Ivan Jochner »

I think polyphony is 256 ( its my big guess though))
apex

Post by apex »

cello wrote:...and come someone please make it where post don't have to be approved ? it makes for some.very slow dialogue....
Sadly there's nothing us admins can do - there are only a handful (like less than half a dozen) folks need to be approved. We have no idea why and your details at the 'back end' of the system looks exactly the same as everyone else's and there's no parameter to change the way it is. Sorry!
apex

Post by apex »

hilarious to me that a new flagship board comes out and folks want to immediately load samples into it vs digging into all the hundreds and thousands of onboarding sounds...

they are worried about samples and expansions and using old sounds from previous generations...

why buy a new board if that's the goal?
cello

Post by cello »

apex wrote:
cello wrote:Unlike the Kronos, this really is a game changer!

not sure what this is supposed to mean....
That was the phrase Korg used when launching the Kronos in 2011. But of course, it was just a cheap knock off of a superior instrument, the OASYS.

This Fantom is entirely re-thought and the biggest thing that relates it to its predecessor is the name!
cello

Post by cello »

apex wrote:hilarious to me that a new flagship board comes out and folks want to immediately load samples into it vs digging into all the hundreds and thousands of onboarding sounds...

they are worried about samples and expansions and using old sounds from previous generations...

why buy a new board if that's the goal?
Agreed! The new sounds/engines are what's exciting for me