Fantom-smic Inspiration

Talk about anything here
Bruiser

Fantom-smic Inspiration

Post by Bruiser »

I've never composed a song before but the Fantom-S is inspiring me to do so. I've got a few lyrics in my head and some semblance of a melody to go with it. The only way I'm going to get it out of my system is to sequence it all...Kind of a brain-dump download to the Fantom-S. (Note to Roland: start working on direct brain to machine interface).

What I am lacking in all this is some sort of a process to follow. What do you lay down first? Followed by?...and then ?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Fantom-smic Inspiration

Post by Artemiy »

I lay down what goes out first. And I suggest you to go this way too.

Play in the part you feel more up to, feel itching to play it. Then add what you feel next has to be added.

In my way, 50% of parts are those I hear in my head, and 50% are those that I bear when improvise and tweak sounds.

Artemio.
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

When writing and recording songs, it is absolutely imperative that you follow the "Golden Rules," which are the following:

(1) Always record drums first, no matter what comes into your head (or out from your hands) first;

(2) Always record wind instruments or replications thereof second;

(3) Never record bass until your harmony vocals are layed down and effected;

(4) Always recite the words "good morning, mr. boggs" prior to hitting record - this ensures proper levels; and, finally

(5) Never record string pad sounds unless you can multiply complex numbers.

Obviously, I'm just kidding - but, any "rules" would really be as ridiculous as these. Just follow Artemio's advice to follow your muse. The more you do it, the more you delevop a routine which you can either follow or diverge from depending on your mood. Have fun.
FatBoyJim

Post by FatBoyJim »

That was good, Phil!

I’ll have to give "Good morning, Mr. Boggs" a try.

You the man, Artemio!
Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

Thanks for the responses. I figured that the "do what feels right" approach was going to be it. Thought I'd ask anyways.

Just out of curiosity, where did the "Good morning, Mr. Boggs" phrase come from? I always rhought that the (rather lame) "Testing, 1, 2, 3" was the de-facto standard.

Red Winger

Post by Red Winger »

Hey Bruiser,

Often times, I find it's easiest to lay down whatever moves you (like artemio and Phil recommend), save the song, and then go back and re-record it with a little bit more planning. That way, you get your ideas down so you can hear them and recreate them again (and if you nail it the first time, you've got your track already set), but then you can go back and tinker with fills, transitions, pads and layers, etc. For me, that often means I spend days, weeks or sometimes even months reworking a song before I'm really happy with it. But, I save every revision, so that I can always go back to a point where I was if I decide I'm off track (so to speak).

Anyway, the bottom line is do whatever works best for you and doesn't get in the way of your creative flow. Have fun!

Cheers,
RW
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

"...and then go back and re-record it with a little bit more planning..."

Man, I wish I was as dedicated as you!!
Red Winger

Post by Red Winger »

[Grin] Yeah...but I'm sloooowwwww. :-)

Cheers,