PK-5A bass pedals

Talk about anything here
cwtaylor1

PK-5A bass pedals

Post by cwtaylor1 »

Hi,

I am really hoping that someone a lot smarter than me can help with this.

I am a guitarist who uses a set of PK-5A bass pedals to control a Waldorf Streichfett strings synth to generate basic drones (really, really simple). My problem is that I currently have to tap dance on the PK-5A between songs to change both the patches on the Waldorf and also the octave on the PK-5A. I control my other MIDI gear with my Fractal Axe FXiii and would like to do the same with the PK-5A which has a MIDI in, so I assume it must be possible (particularly given how simple the setup is), but I cannot discover how.

Can anyone help please.

Thanks

Chris
harmonizer

Re: PK-5A bass pedals

Post by harmonizer »

Like you, I also use a PK-5A to create additional instrument noises (as opposed to playing low bass notes). Playing live gigs in a covers band, I have no time between songs to change settings on the PK-5A. So I use settings on my Roland synth to do this: in addition to choosing what patches (instruments) I want to make noises for, I set up the octave shifts, any needed half-step pitch shifts, and any custom splits. It is difficult to press a "black key" with my feet while standing and playing the sax, so I often to shift certain notes a half step up or down so that I almost always only have to press a "white key" with my foot. I have set up my synth so that in some cases more than one note gets played when I press one key on my PK-5A. I don't think controls on my PK-5A (octave up, octave down) are sufficient to do what I need, even if I had the time to use them during a live gig.

I used a Roland XV-5050 synth module for over 10 years to do this. Its split capabilities are incredibly good. I recently upgraded to a Roland FA-07, whose split capabilities for using an external PK-5A "keyboard" are the same as those found in the XV-5050. In a Roland XV, you can set up a "Performance" with up to 16 parts. The same capability exists in the Roland FA, except in the FA it is called a "Studio Set". The Roland Integra rack module also has the same split capabilities as the Roland FA, except that it supports storing fewer Studio Sets. With either the XV or the FA, I can set up all the parameters I need for a single song in that synth (including the patch, octave shift(s), pitch shift(s), and multiple parts/splits if needed).

I could not read all the docs on the Waldorf Streichfett synth, but it appears to not have the split and shift capabilities that are found in the Roland XV or Roland FA synths. I am sorry that I do not have a good suggestion that would use only your current gear.
cwtaylor1

Re: PK-5A bass pedals

Post by cwtaylor1 »

no problem. Thanks for taking the time to respond and for your insight - much appreciated