Newbie here: What is the point of stereo keyboards and amps?

Talk about anything here
LouieLouieAce

Newbie here: What is the point of stereo keyboards and amps?

Post by LouieLouieAce »

I'm returning to keyboard music after 35 years absence. Just bought a Juno DS61. I notice it has left and right output jacks if I want to do stereo output. What is the difference in sound between mono and stereo output? (I know to use only the Left output jack for mono.) Why are some keyboard amps described as "stereo" that have only one speaker, plus maybe one tweeter? On my old Pioneer FM stereo receiver, the point of stereo is to stretch out the sound between two separate speakers for a wider, deeper listening experience. Does this also happen with stereo keyboards/amps? Thanks... - Rob in Oregon
jicamasalad

Re: Newbie here: What is the point of stereo keyboards and amps?

Post by jicamasalad »

Hi Rob,

Your understanding of stereo is certainly correct, and the "stereo" speakers with only one driver and tweeter are just playing games with you - it's not possible for a single speaker to produce what we commonly call "stereo" sound.

The stereo outputs on the keyboard are for situations where you might be recording the keyboard, and want the sound of the instrument to have a rich wide field; you of course would also hear this if you plugged your keyboard into two stage amplifiers and set the speakers apart. Many synth sounds (and sampled sounds) from modern keyboards have beautiful rich stereo sound, which you might also enjoy using stereo headphones.

Cheers,
kS