How does “keep me logged in” work?

Talk about anything here
FatBoyJim

How does “keep me logged in” work?

Post by FatBoyJim »

I noticed recently that when logging in there is a box with a check mark in it giving me the option to “keep me logged in.” I think that I have noticed it ever since it was first introduced and every time I have logged in since I noticed it I have uncheck the box. What I don’t understand about this is what does this do differently other than just not logging out, which then leaves you logged in all of the time anyway. If I leave the check mark in the box does it make it so I can’t log out in the future and am always logged in—forever? Could someone explain this to me? Thanks!

You the man, Artemio!
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: How does “keep me logged in” work?

Post by Artemiy »

If you uncheck this box, you will be logged in for a "single session" - if you close your browser you will get logged out automatically, so no need to "log out".

If you leave the box checked, you will stay logged in even if you quit the browser and turn your system off.

This option is for those who want to stay logged in on their home computers but be sure they are not always logged in on their computers at work or at internet cafes.
FatBoyJim

Post by FatBoyJim »

Oh, thanks! That makes sense

You the man, Artemio!
gtds

Post by gtds »

FBJ (AKA The Riddler)

I think you are talking about setting your account profile so that every time you visit this page you are automatically logged in.

This works by using browser 'cookies'. AAAH! Me like cookies!!! C is for Cookie, that's good enough for me!!! Cookie cookie!!!

....sorry, I went off on a tangent.

Browser cookies can store information. When you choose to be automatically logged in, you are basically enabling your browser to store info on this site in the form of cookies. The cookies are very doughy. So much so that all the info gets stuck and will remain there, even after you switch your computer off. The only way to clear this info is if you go into your browser's settings and enable/disable cookies and clear cached contents.

Coookiee!!!

If you are worried that you appear as logged in even when you are not using your computer, you need not worry as you are automatically logged off as soon as you close the browser window with "fantom-s.info".

Hope all this is clear...

Me like cookie!!!

gtds
FatBoyJim

Post by FatBoyJim »

LOL! By the way, me like cookie, too!
FBJ (aka The Moron)

You the man, Artemio!