Losing Phait(h)?

Talk about anything here
DogZilla

Re: Losing Phait(h)?

Post by DogZilla »

Hey guys

It's their problem. If you compare processing power, wave memory, versatility, polyphony, filtering, sampling, wave manipulation etc between something like Motif ES and ,say, Pentium 4 3gHZ + 1GB RAM + 80 GB fast HDD with a grand's worth of soft synths & seqcrs & smplrs, what would blow what out of the water?

Also, as a guitarist I could have 2 choices:

1. flashy axe with holographic scratch plate, 5 whammy bars & 6000 buttons/ switches (and extra strings)

OR..

2. a Paul Reed Smith classic.

Which of the 2 would help me express myself better due to playability and help me write good choons?

(I own an Ibanez Jem 77vbk by the way).

Horses for courses. I bought the FS as a main keyboard to help me on my way, and then in a year or so (if I need more power etc, I'll get all the computer stuff).

I'd also like to say that having owned the FS for 5 days I have been able to write some pretty shit hot patches just using one waveform. The filters are amazing and I can't fault the sound quality at all.

Dog
mucsusn

Post by mucsusn »

Hey Dog, can you share some of your new patches????????

And maybe share some insight on their creation?
DogZilla

Post by DogZilla »

I'd love to, but at the moment there is no way to post wav files on this site, is there?

I could, however, post all the individual parameter settings & tones used etc.

I have owned the FS for less than a week so I haven't written that many, and with the first one I started from scratch by initialising the patch & selecting a sine wave (can't remember which one), beefing it up by using LPF & bit of res, Adding TVF for a slow sweep, and then setting the LFO set to TRI wave to come in to 'wibble' the TVF again at 2 X beat count. Couln't believe how BIG it sounded even without any effects or EQ. Just using 1 tone!

This unit really is the dog's bollocks.

I've said it before and I'll say it again

This unit really is the dog's bollocks.

Dog
mucsusn

Post by mucsusn »

Actually, you can't for the moment, but when out beloved Artemio returns, there is a facility for wav. files on the downloads section of the main page.

Anyway...........no hurry...............a few examples with the roadmap you used to create them would be fun.
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

"selecting a sine wave (can't remember which one), beefing it up by using LPF & bit of res, Adding TVF for a slow sweep"

For educational purposes, I just thought I'd point out that this is actually impossible with just a sine wave. By definition, a sine wave only contains 1 frequency. Running that signal through a low pass filter will result in either that 1 frequency being filtered or the 1 frequency being allowed to passed through (it depends on whether the 1 frequency is higher or lower than the cutoff frequency). In other words, the TVF will not produce any audible effect other than cutting out the sound at some point. The resonance setting would boost frequencies existing around the cutoff frequency, but since there is only 1 frequency in the signal, there is nothing to boost. The point is, you must have been using something other than a sine wave as the single tone - of course, that means, by definition, the ES is better than the FS (just kidding, of course).

Sounds like your having some fun there DZ. Keep it up!!
Phait

Post by Phait »

In my experience anytime someone says 'bollocks' they mean it negatively - i.e. "bollocks to you" or "suck my bollocks" or "this is the bollocks" - so I can't help but read that post as insulting the Fantom-S when it seems you mean the opposite? ^_^
DogZilla

Post by DogZilla »

Aww, Phil -of course you're absolutely correct, but I wanted to avoid any talk of 2pi ft, fourier analysis etc!

...Actually I told a porky pie :|

I used a tone based on saw waveform I think it was 553 or somewhere like that come to mention it :)

You're absolutely correct in the sense that I'm having a right laugh with it. My next bit of dabbling will involve getting my head 'round writing different rhythm loops in pattern mode.

Dear Phait

Bollocks, or family jewels, are extremely valuable and as such should be regarded very highly!

I can't begin to tell you where the expression came from originally, but I use it a lot :)

ps good luck deciding on your computer set up.
my 2 pence - get a pc running win XP. Things have changed and they are not the piles of shite they used to be!

Dog