Not so new Newbie here

Talk about anything here
OogieWaWa

Not so new Newbie here

Post by OogieWaWa »

Hi! First post!

I've got a Juno DS61 on order, should be here in a few days; man am I going to have some questions!!!!!

The saga:

I'm currently the bass player and sometimes keyboard player for The Feds Band in NW Ohio. We've been together for 4.5 years, and just performed our 100th gig together a couple of weeks ago.

Started playing bass at 50, gigging since 53, now 65 and loving it! I got cajoled by our drummer and our guitar player when they found out that I took 6 years if organ lessons as a kid, even played out a couple of times, into starting to add key bass plus keys a year or so ago. The idea was to really fatten up our sound, and greatly expand our song possibilities for a 3-piece band. And man has it worked! (We have about 120 on the big list right now.)

I had an OK keyboard (Casio CTK7200) and it was pretty good, but decided it was time to move up with the big guys.

Funny, they also heard me messing around singing on a break at rehearsal three and a half years ago, and literally forced me to get a mic and take lessons. So now we all sing lead and backing vocals, I'm on lead at about 20% of the songs, the rest harmony, and we pick songs with lots of vocals.

So yeah, I play bass, swap back and forth to key bass/keys (sometimes mid-song) while singing lead or backing vocals. I'm adding things with the right hand split like piano, flute, oboe, strings, horns, rotary organ and hopefully many more. The left split will be bass, of course, and I can pretty much match the two bass sounds so it's hard to tell when I swap. Great fun!

So anyway, can't wait to start figuring this puppy out and making some great sounding songs with the band!!! TIAs for any advice!

Edit: Hey, Mods, please move this to the appropriate area if needed, thanks!