Anybody Here Know About Creating Interactive CDs?

Talk about anything here
Red Winger

Re: Anybody Here Know About Creating Interactive CDs?

Post by Red Winger »

One more link for you Phil. I am told that the Adobe software is good for creating DVDs and that they have a bundle that includes video editors, video efx, etc. as well as Audition (so, if you don't already have Cool Edit Pro, you could pick it up as part of the bundle):

http://www.adobe.com/products/dvcoll/main.html

I'm told that the process is you creat your script, generate the forms in the DVD creation tool, generate and link in your content, and then compress/finalize it all onto a DVD (kind like burning a music CD in some ways, it sounds like). Anyway, there are probably other programs like the Apple and Adobe versions. You might try a google search, if you haven't done so, to see if there are any websites dedicated to interactive DVD creation.

Cheers,
RW
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Thanks a lot RW!!
Red Winger

Post by Red Winger »

Hey, no problem. Hopefully I'm not leading you down the rosy path, as I really have no clue what I'm talking about. I'm just relaying some info from friends/clients that are into this kind of thing. But, they should know, I would think.

Anyway, good luck and have fun. It should be a great project.

Cheers,
RW
Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

This is really a multi-step process and you may need some high end software to put together a professional complex interactive DVD application. Relatively simple DVD apps can be authored with lower end editing and authoring capabilities. The difference between the low and high end authoring software seems to be the addition of if...then..else kind of logic control. Also, your really cheap apps don't even let you use your own background art.

I use Adobe Premiere to create my video assets, Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator for my still assets (such as menu screens, artwork for animation, etc.), and Adobe After Effects to actually create animation and "motion" menus.

Of course, it goes without saying that I use my FS for the sound track creation :)

The assets are then brought in to your DVD authoring package. I use ReelDVD from Sonic for this. It's fairily high end, aimed at corporate and individual professional use. It still doesn't have all of the if..then..else kind of stuff, but I've found that I really haven't needed it yet. It's big brother is called Sonic Scenarist. It's REALLY expensive, but is the standard for Hollywood DVD authoring. It can do everything.

I think the Adobe Encore DVD authoring package is similar to the capabilities of ReelDVD, only better integrated with the rest of the Adobe suite. It's still not up to par with Scenarist though.

If your looking for help actually putting something together, I'm available. Don't know what your plans are for actually trying to make money doing it, but I'm willing to partner up to at least try. I've already got the stuff, along with most of the know how.

Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Hey Bruiser, thanks for the input. Drop me an email at zootlaw at yahoo dot com and I'll fill you in. I think the way I think of the project it may be even more complicated than I led on, but maybe you'll know and we can see if we can work together on it. Thanks
Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

Phil B -

You have mail (on Yahoo).

Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Now you do too!