OCTA-CAPTURE, UA-1010 control panel?

Talk about anything here
Ronyd

OCTA-CAPTURE, UA-1010 control panel?

Post by Ronyd »

If I purchase used, will the drivers downloaded from the Roland Updates/Drivers sections have the Control Panel software?

Also, does it support Macs with new Apple silicone chips ?
devonrose

Re: OCTA-CAPTURE, UA-1010 control panel?

Post by devonrose »

Ronyd wrote: 21:28, 28 July 2023 If I purchase used, will the drivers downloaded from the Roland Updates/Drivers sections have the Control Panel software?

Also, does it support Macs with new Apple silicone chips ?
The OCTA-CAPTURE is not supported on Apple M1/M2; you'd have to purchase a Rubix series instead.
schibidu

Post by schibidu »

devonrose wrote: 07:25, 10 August 2023 The OCTA-CAPTURE is not supported on Apple M1/M2
Utter nonsense.
I just registered here only to tell everyone that Octa-Capture IS SUPPORTED on M1/M2.
How do I know?
Well, I just purchased a new Octa-Capture today, and it JUST WORKS on my brand new MacBook Air M2 15", Ventura 13.5.2
Get your Ventura driver here:
https://roland.com/global/support/by_pr ... f69d469b33
devonrose wrote: 07:25, 10 August 2023 you'd have to purchase a Rubix series instead
Nope. You don't.

~~~

That all said, I've ran into an issue where the Octa-Capture Control Panel suddenly claimed that "the device could not be found". But it was just the app; the device itself was recognized and worked. I don't remember what exactly caused that, but I suspect me playing with the iZotope RX 10 CoreAudio driver settings. It was definitely not a device issue, it was a user account issue, as the same Roland Control Panel still worked flawlessly using another account on the same Mac. The fix was eventually quite simple: launched Terminal and entered "sudo killall coreaudiod" which has obviously reset some stuck preferences or whatever.

~~~

Other than that, what a great device, considering that it's been on the market for at least 12 years or so! :) I haven't found anything else that could match the features I need – including small footprint and instant usability without even ever connecting to a computer.
Close runners:
Audient EVO 16; deal-breaker: no MIDI I/O, a bit too large
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8; deal-breaker: I really need 8 mic inputs and 8 line outputs, and I don't want to buy an extra ADAT interface to get them.
devonrose

Post by devonrose »

schibidu wrote: 00:44, 9 September 2023
devonrose wrote: 07:25, 10 August 2023 The OCTA-CAPTURE is not supported on Apple M1/M2
Utter nonsense.
I just registered here only to tell everyone that Octa-Capture IS SUPPORTED on M1/M2.
How do I know?
Well, I just purchased a new Octa-Capture today, and it JUST WORKS on my brand new MacBook Air M2 15", Ventura 13.5.2
Get your Ventura driver here:
https://roland.com/global/support/by_pr ... f69d469b33
devonrose wrote: 07:25, 10 August 2023 you'd have to purchase a Rubix series instead
Nope. You don't.

~~~

That all said, I've ran into an issue where the Octa-Capture Control Panel suddenly claimed that "the device could not be found". But it was just the app; the device itself was recognized and worked. I don't remember what exactly caused that, but I suspect me playing with the iZotope RX 10 CoreAudio driver settings. It was definitely not a device issue, it was a user account issue, as the same Roland Control Panel still worked flawlessly using another account on the same Mac. The fix was eventually quite simple: launched Terminal and entered "sudo killall coreaudiod" which has obviously reset some stuck preferences or whatever.

~~~

Other than that, what a great device, considering that it's been on the market for at least 12 years or so! :) I haven't found anything else that could match the features I need – including small footprint and instant usability without even ever connecting to a computer.
Close runners:
Audient EVO 16; deal-breaker: no MIDI I/O, a bit too large
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8; deal-breaker: I really need 8 mic inputs and 8 line outputs, and I don't want to buy an extra ADAT interface to get them.
I assumed the octa-capture would follow suit as the quad-capture is not supported on M1/M2:
https://www.roland.com/us/support/suppo ... 0101100mr/

Who knew Roland was inconsistent with their legacy portfolio.
schibidu

Post by schibidu »

It will be interesting if they continue to support Sonoma though:
https://www.roland.com/global/support/s ... 09271500a/
As of today they are "under testing".