Hey rf: Ping!

Talk about anything here
Red Winger

Hey rf: Ping!

Post by Red Winger »

Ron,

Need some Logic 5.5.1 advice. I've tried to get Emagic sales to contact me, and even left questions on the Logic Users Group, but nobody's responding. Could I impose on you for advice? Key questions are how/where should I pick up a copy of Logic Platinum for Windows and whether there's a good chance that I'll then be able to upgrade to Logic 6 (or maybe 7, by then) for OSX at a substantially reduced price (I think the answer is yes, to the latter, but am wondering whether the lack of Emagic support for Windows will mean I'd be better off buying a competitor product like Sonar first, and use the crossgrade option, which I would think will always be there). You can also email me at s88freak@yahoo.com, rather than posting, if you'd like.

Cheers,
Mark
Red Winger

Re: Hey rf: Ping!

Post by Red Winger »

Bump.
Red Winger

Post by Red Winger »

Bump-de-bump.

Also, Ron, just fyi: I'm getting pretty disenchanted with Emagic sales right now, as they have not responded to any of the emails I've sent (either to the US or German email addresses) and I've been stuck on hold for 20 minutes without answer when calling the US sales office.

I'm starting to think that maybe sticking with a PC and Cubase/Nuendo or Sonar may be a better option after all.

Cheers,
RW
MK

Post by MK »

One reason you might want to stay with the PC is that the excitement over the G5 is going to be short lived. As you are already aware that machine is very expensive, especially when configured with a large flat panel display.

Last week CNBC reported that AMD will announce a 64-bit processor. The new processor launch occurred today. Both AMD and Intel will be delivering faster, more sophisticated processors as the PC market prepares for the next generation of Windows to be delivered in 2005.

If you like the Mac and OS X, I am not trying to persuade you to avoid it. But don't think that Apple's new machine and Logic are the final answer to everything. Few people are going to switch for a solution that is priced so high. Even then, what are the real advantages for you personally? If you cannot use the PC platform the way you want to now, then just give it a few months. The hardware and software vendors are readying new technology that will eclipse Apple once again. Never ever entertain the thought that Microsoft, Dell, Intel, AMD, and a long list of others could be outdone by Apple Computer alone.

"SAN FRANCISCO, Sept 23 (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. on Tuesday unveiled a version of its Windows XP operating system for Advanced Micro Devices Inc.'s new Athlon 64 processor and said the system would also work with a 64-bit desktop chip from Intel Corp. if the company develops one"
Red Winger

Post by Red Winger »

Hey MK,

Thanks for the advice. You are clearly correct that the pool of talent building PC-based processors/components is clearly larger than that for Macs. I tend to be a Mac-head, but must say that my loyalty isn't what it once was as NT, XP and various versions of Windows improve stability, performance and get more "Mac-like" in their operation.

If I was buying a new computer setup today, it would be Mac. But, because I'm going to be forced to use my XP-based laptop for the next year or so, it's an open question. The Logic idea sounded good in theory, but I am not thrilled with Emagic's lack of responsiveness (about 2 weeks of contacts on my part with no response). It's virtually the opposite of my experience with Cakewalk (Steinberg is somewhere in between). So, although I thought I had it figured out, I'm back to considering my options a bit more.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Cheers,
RW
rf_

Post by rf_ »

RW. I am sorry for being so long in answering this post. I simply missed it until today.

Your answer is in contacting emagic USA sales line at 530-477-1051. They will sell you Logic 6 and send you an XS key. The new Logic XS keys are cross platform and will run on both Win and Mac. The version 6 key is backwards compatible to version 5...so it will run WIN 5.51, and since you will have already paid for the version 6 key...it will also run on a MAC at version 6. If at some future point there is a version 7, you will pay for an upgrade along with everyone else. But you can mostly kill 2 birds with one stone on this purchase. I have had to wait for no more than 10-15 minutes on the Emagic Sales line...but they always pick up and are very professional and pleasant to deal with. Email support is however slow, if non existent. Take the direct approach and call when you have 20 minutes to blow.

Remember....The question about Mac G5 vs PC is NOT a 64 bit issue. In a few months, every platform and manufacturer will have 64 bit. The issue for you as a musician is LOGIC. The simple fact is that Logic runs only on the Mac. Logic is optimized for the G5. Logic is owned by Apple and is therefore an integrated solution that is custom built for the hardware...which is not the case with ANY other platform or manufacturer. And most importantly...LOGIC is the best sequencing package there is....PERIOD (my opinion after 20 years experience in using them all). So do not let the PC vs MAC debate get into your head. If you want to run the best music composition package there is...get a G5 and Logic and you will not look back again.

Thank you,

Ron
Red Winger

Post by Red Winger »

Hey Ron,

Thanks much for getting back to me on this. I hadn't realized that a long wait on the sales line was the norm (that's not been my experience with other manufacturers). I'll take your advice and try to call again when I have the time to hang on. Logic does still seem like the nicest progression (since I'd only have to learn one program).

I was actually in the bookstore today and picked up a pretty decent volume by Craig Anderton on Cubase SX/SL called "Mixing and Mastering." I got it because a) it was on sale, and b) it looked like an interesting way to spend some time with a Cubase SX demo to kick the tires on that program as well, and maybe pickup a couple of tips/techniques that would be applicable across any platform. Ultimately, before taking the plunge, I think I may hold off for a couple of weeks to see if Cakewalk and Steinberg will post demos of their latest versions as well (too bad Logic doesn't have a demo), just so I can play around with them a bit before finally making up my mind.

Thanks, though, for your advice, which I truly am taking to heart. It's great to have input from someone who has as much experience with all of the major programs such as you.

Cheers,
RW