Mr. Goodchord

Talk about anything here
Phil B

Mr. Goodchord

Post by Phil B »

I posted something on Keyboard mag's forum about this, but only managed one response...

Has anybody read the article in Keyboard magazine about Mr. Goodchord's approach to voice leading? I read the article, but didn't even really look too hard at the exercises. I love the combination of math and music in the sense that I always want to try to understand the "system." I was intrigued enough by the article to drop the $50 (plus shipping) on Volume 1 of the book.

I'm pretty into it. Besides a brief introduction about taking care of your fretting hand (it's directed at guitarists, but other than the title and the intro, there is nothing guitar specific in the book) and an intro to the book that, in the end, basically just tells you "I'm not telling you anything," the book is just page after page of charts and simple diagrams. There is no standard notation - notes are referred to by name (e.g., "C" or "Eb").

According to author, the book is intentionally vague to allow you to figure the relationships out on your own. Well, that's gotten me to read it more like an "investigator" than a player so far, but I have really been facinated at what I've been discovering.

I hesitate to actually go into more detail because I wouldn't want to ruin it for anyone who wants to pick it up.

Anyway, I'm definitely going to pick up the other two volumes once I've spent some time with this one because I'm curious how his system is applied beyond triads and seventh chords and beyond just the major, melodic minor and harmonic minor scales.

Anybody read the article? Have the book? Care? Stare? Change their underwear?
Red Winger

Re: Mr. Goodchord

Post by Red Winger »

I change my underwear at least daily.

:-)
Red Winger

Post by Red Winger »

Actually, I saw the article, but haven't had a chance to really read through it yet. I have done some work on voice leading before, but haven't stepped through Mr. Goodchord's techniques. Since you're recommending it, I'll check it out some more.

So are the books like a compilation of riffs between chords in notation form, or simply a collection of chord progressions?

Cheers,
RW
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Volume I only covers the major, harmonic minor and melodic minor scales in the key of C. But, it's a lot of info...

The book covers movement between diatonic triads and various types of seventh chords in all inversions for each of the scales. So, for example, there is a page dedicated to "Cycle 3" for open voicings (drop 2, drop 4 - for example) of diatonic seventh chords in C major. On the page is written out a table starting from C-G-B-E (that's a D2, D4 open voicing of C major 7) and going through "Cycle 3" with smooth voice leading 4x until you arrive back at C-G-B-E. "Cycle 3" means up by thirds (here, CM7, Em7, G7, Bm7(b5), Dm7, FM7, Am7, CM7, etc.).

Basically, the whole book just shows every voicing for each cycle for each chord in each inversion.

Also on each page are various diagrams that show relationships (without explanations - it's up to the reader to figure out the significance of the diagrams). The diagrams are easily the most intriguing part.

The article in Keyboard doesn't really do justice to the book because it just shows some exercises and not the "system" in its entirely.

The book is expensive in my opinion (although I just decided to order Vol. II - I got problems) - and I hesitate to just tell you to go out and buy it because I'm not completely sure yet how much I will get out of it in the long run. But, I certainly like it (enough to buy Vol. II, which is slightly cheaper) - and I think if you are facinated by the prospect of a "unifying theory" of voice leading, you'd like it too. Since it's not sold in stores, though, you can't just take a browse to see if you're interested. And the website provides very little info. I guess it's a leap of faith.
Red Winger

Post by Red Winger »

Interesting. I have a jazz progession book that does something similar, providing Hanon-like excercises that let you learn voice leading through the end result. It effectively lets you figure out the relationships by feel. Sounds like this is much the same.

Okay, you've intrigued me. I'm going to check out the article over the weekend a bit more.

Cheers,
RW
pianodick

Post by pianodick »

The september 03 issue of keyboard has the article on mr goodchord goes keyboard. It is pretty enlightening even for a hack amateur such as myself. The article is some 6 plus pages and I am trying to decipher it. Never pass up a chance to learn when I can.

pianodick
mucsusn

Post by mucsusn »

Phil, I haven't had a chance to look at the Mr. Goodchord article. After the Hurricane, life has been a mess.

But the concept of voice leading and chording bought back the still vibrant lessons given to me by my Navy piano teacher back at the Armed Forces School of Music (way back in 1975/76). He gave me a very practical foundation on chording and making sure that the ability to cover the inner voices was there.

It revolved around diatonic sevenths, and the ability to play them in all twelve keys. In other words, start with a Cmaj7, and play the major scale voicing each step in its diatonic root seventh. Over a very short length of time, this develops an excellent basic facility for playing in any key.

After that, we concentrated on iii-Vi-ii-V-I in all twelve keys, using only the third and seventh voices. A great tool for building the ear and recognizing basic tonal character.

And of course, all scales, major/natural/harmoni/melodic, both hands, two octaves, all twelve keys.