Arrrrggggggg!!!!

Talk about anything here
Phil B

Arrrrggggggg!!!!

Post by Phil B »

I was just working on a song and was hearing this beep from my apartment. I realized that it was my UPC surge protector (or whatever the hell this thing is that came with my PC). It's been beeping ever since our blackout because the internal backup battery is probably dead. I don't care - I just want to use this thing as a surge protector anyway. So, anyway, I look at the surge protector and the light is off. I know some of the plugs work whether the UPC is powered on or off. I figured since the light was off, and the FS was on, that the FS was plugged into one of the ones that doesn't matter. So, I hit the button and BOOM...the FS turns off. Some work lost. I save periodically, so I didn't lose everything. But, I'm pissed.

Anybody know how I can disable that battery backup feature for good so I don't hear that beep? I don't feel like buying another battery for that thing. They're expensive and everytime the circuit breaker goes while I'm not home it will drain it anyway.
Bruiser

Re: Arrrrggggggg!!!!

Post by Bruiser »

Potential options:
1. Taking the battery out entirely might work.
2. Disconnect, or otherwise disable/destroy the beeper.
3. Trash it and get a regular surge protector.

Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Thanks Bruiser - I'm thinking #3.

I looked up in the manual under what the various types of beeps mean. It said the pattern I was hearing meant bad utility power or something like that. I checked the outlets with a lamp and they work fine, reset the circuit breaker, and still the beeps. I'm just going to junk it, I think. But, hopefully there really isn't a problem.
mucsusn

Post by mucsusn »

Phil,

I recommend the Carvin rack mount power conditioner. Will feed your PC and Fantom good stuff and has room for wall warts, etc.
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Thanks guys. I definitely "should" check out a more pro solution, mucsusn, but I just can't right now (Sonar 3 upgrade, and now the new Garritan Virtual Orchestra looking like it has some potential (we'll see)).

I ended up buying a surge protector with a power conditioner built in. I hooked it up and everything just worked. What a relief. The funny thing is, after hooking it all up, I went into the elevator in my apartment building and there was a sign posted that said "The building has low voltage - we are taking care of the problem"!!! So, the damn thing wasn't broken after all, I guess. But, I'm still glad I have a regular surge protector now anyway because ever since the battery on the UPC discharged the first time, the thing has been beeping at wierd times and I just can't trust it anymore.

Thanks again for the help guys.
mucsusn

Post by mucsusn »

Understand the money thing very well..........three people in college, two out of state............but put it high on your list so that your good toys don't suffer.

I was at a gig powered by a generator during the hurricane, and the guitar player lost his amp, and the bandleader got two generic power strip/surge protectors fried. My Conditioner took it all in stride.

In addition, it has an LED voltage meter on the face to show you what's happening in real time, and will take about a 6,000 volt surge.

So, highly recommended when you can squeeze it in. 155 bucks including shipping.
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Wow - that's some testimonial. I didn't realize how much it costs. That certainly seems like a good investment. Thanks again. I'll check it out.
mucsusn

Post by mucsusn »

www.carvin.com

They are very similar to the Furman units you will find online and at Manny's, Ash and GC, but a bit cheaper. I have had great luck with the Carvin gear I have used over the years.
Red Winger

Post by Red Winger »

I have one of these too, mucsusn. They're great. Small, cheap, easy to lug from gig to gig and 15 amps gives you room to run quite a few things through it. My local music store recommended the Carvin unit, and I've been really happy with it.

Cheers,
RW
mucsusn

Post by mucsusn »

Carvin's product line is generally pretty good stuff for the money. In the Peavey price range, but better quality IMHO.

They make decent guitar, basses, PA gear, guitar and bass amps and also keyboard amps. They make a little monster (cubic volume about the same as a Roland KC500) with 2X10's and a compression tweeter with a biamped 7 input head unit (you can also buy the head as a rack unit) that just smokes. It goes for 799 plus shipping, so although a tad pricey, I have heard one in person and they are an outstanding one box live solution. They really handle the subtleties in a live rig. Nice crips piano sound, but plenty of balls for the B's and Rhodes