A Humble Request...

Talk about anything here
Phil B

A Humble Request...

Post by Phil B »

Among other things, this forum has turned into a real community where I feel I have met some new friends that I look forward to communicating with.

I also hang around the EQ and Keyboard mag forums (I pretty much just lurk on the others) and there are a bunch of people on those forums that are really negative, argumentative, hostile and have no intention of trying to see things from another point of view.

Luckily, we don't have that here so far (well, we've had a couple of "situations," but they blew over just fine) - but, I really would hate to see that happen here EVER. So, I'm going to make a pledge (and, hopefully, many of you will agree with me) that if I see that kind of posting here, I WILL NOT RESPOND TO IT!! I'll just let it go, and pretend it wasn't even posted. No cracking insults back, no attempts to make that person understand the offensiveness of what he's doing, and no arguments, even on the merits.

Do you guys and gals think I'm crazy?
mucsusn

Re: A Humble Request...

Post by mucsusn »

Phil, I pledge to do my best.......though at times I am tempted to try and make someone understand their rudeness, Fortunately, my wife has a good head start on polishing that edge.............

The real beauty of this forum is that everyone seems to have a little bit of a different slant on their expertise/knowledge, and we seem to contribute in in appropriate morsels. Along with a nice dose of little others enjoy what works for them.

Kudos to you all!
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Well, I must say that Phil is right. Answering to such a post will raise much more negativity from the agressor. Silence is the best way to show you are ignoring this person, and ignoring is the best way to make this person calm down.

Also, it's a great honour for me to be in such a great community.

Thank you guys for being so kind and helpful!
MK

Post by MK »

Phil,

You are right about other websites and their aggression. Part of the problem can be attributed to lack of moderator interaction. Years ago the moderators used to delete posts and kick off users who displayed aggression towards the community. These days they do nothing. Yahoo! has many groups that are unmoderated because the moderator lost interest and abandoned the group.

As of a couple months ago I reduced my replies and stopped replying when someone was being antagonistic towards me. I might respond once or twice, but after that I leave the discussion. Those situations always end with the aggressor having the last word, and I don't even care. I let them have their fantasy. If things become too intense, then I delete my old posts. This makes the aggressor look inside himself as he is left alone to face his own negativity.

Music attracts young people. This brings a lot of energy with it. One reason you have seen calm temperaments here is the FS88 is priced too high for most young people. Older buyers are more relaxed than the 20 year olds. Often the older synth buyers have owned several other synths and know that nothing is perfect or lasts forever.
Red Winger

Post by Red Winger »

Great idea, Phil. I pledge to ignore such posts because, well frankly, that's what I always do anyway! :-)

I agree that one of the best parts of this forum has been people giving differing views and ideas. I've picked up more terrific information here, not just about the Fantom-S but about numerous other music-related topics as well, than from any other source (and I participate or lurk in a number of forums, just to get as much info as possible). For whatever reason, this forum has attracted a ton of great people.

Thanks to all of you for making it a place I actually look forward to visiting and miss when I'm away from an internet connection for more than a day.

Cheers,
RW
Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

Count me in too. Eventually those writing the abusive posts would get the message. I just hope this place never degrades to the point of needing to do that though.

E.Camargo

Post by E.Camargo »

I have already read a cupple of messages that almost took a thread to a low level.
Normally I use to say: "If you don't want problem, don't get closer."
Agression is like a present... If you don't want it, give it back.
If you see something ofencive in a thread, don't post nothing on it. You'll win time discussing other interesting things and you figure will not be afected.

Peace - Edu Camargo
pianodick

Post by pianodick »

I think the idea of mature behaviour in public is always good. I laud all that have responded & especially you PhilB for making us all face reality by broaching the subject. It has been my experience in this forum that everyone behaves as though we are speaking face to face rather than via internet. I have enjoyed that tremendously.

pianodick
DogZilla

Post by DogZilla »

Nice one Phil & co

I'll happily do the same

Dog