Keyboard magazine leak

Forum for JUPITER-80
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Keyboard magazine leak

Post by Artemiy »

My glasses were already stolen by Lady Gaga...
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

ROFL....
en76

Post by en76 »

My glasses were already stolen by Lady Gaga...
LOL! I guess i should file my TAX before I get investigated by the FED-IRS. Man, they should give us a break on our tools like how they do with construction workers....or am I missing something here? With these kind of price tags, I think we should get some breaks. I will see next year if they do since I just got my GE license and will set up a business bank account....I will demand some kind of tax break LOL! hope they don't break in my wallet too much LOL!

@mystick38, yep your right. :D shouldn't post it up here but investigate it first then explain later or just keep it under the "radar"

anyways, magazine business is a tough one now a days. I just hope it don't become "Dinosaur" especially this one since we love thing that relate to the business.
I haven't check their web-side but I would figure they gone Internet subscription.
cosmotobe

Post by cosmotobe »

hoodedclaw wrote:As for Roland they've already shot themselves in the foot.
In both feet and in... Who should carry on with the '80s Roland Jupiter family heritage when Roland becomes impotent? They'll only give us some deluxe synth zombie replicants to relish our memory of analog glory...

I'm glad that some other rather small companies reinvented analog synths.

No need to tell me to stop trolling. I won't go on with that. Enjoy the "Jupiter"-80.
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

dude, you seriously need to get over yourself..
cosmotobe wrote:
hoodedclaw wrote:As for Roland they've already shot themselves in the foot.
In both feet and in... Who should carry on with the '80s Roland Jupiter family heritage when Roland becomes impotent? They'll only give us some deluxe synth zombie replicants to relish our memory of analog glory...

I'm glad that some other rather small companies reinvented analog synths.

No need to tell me to stop trolling. I won't go on with that. Enjoy the "Jupiter"-80.
cosmotobe

Post by cosmotobe »

Mystic38 wrote:dude, you seriously need to get over yourself..
Naah... it's not that bad at all! It's just my associations with the NAME "Jupiter" that led to a certain amount of disappointment... I'm over it now and back to life. Sorry if it sounded a bit harsh. Sure this beast will sound good enough for its buyers.
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

lol np.. just get a tube pre-amp and stick it on the back end to get some 2nd harmonics! :)
cosmotobe wrote:
Mystic38 wrote:dude, you seriously need to get over yourself..
Naah... it's not that bad at all! It's just my associations with the NAME "Jupiter" that led to a certain amount of disappointment... I'm over it now and back to life. Sorry if it sounded a bit harsh. Sure this beast will sound good enough for its buyers.
2TIM316

Post by 2TIM316 »

Real simple: Real analog is real analog. It sounds uniquely organic. It can't be copied or modeled. When it is, it's always gonna be a compromise. Otherwise Dave Smith Instruments et al wouldn't be selling so much product. For a rompler I think the "G" sounds quite "analog" when it wants to. But this is still samples driving filters in the digital realm. Completely different psychic experience than real analog.

Truthfully I haven't heard a decent hardware VA. The closest VAs I've heard are in software like Fab Filter's Twin.

So as to this new Jupiter, who knows until we see the specs. Sounds like it won't be real analog (duh), so rather I'm asking, like with the Kronos, "how can this make my gigging life easier, more productive, make me more in demand?" If that can't be answered, then I'll be moving on.
velocifero

Post by velocifero »

hoodenclaw represents exactly my point: nothing more then someone here to trash Roland. Let me clue you on some real world ethics: I moderate a forum for a type of rather expensive luxury car. In that forum you can complain about the latest model, whine about features but you cannot bash the company or it's employees. The problem with this forum is that there is a lack of trained moderation. No one should be allowed to bash Roland or it's employees (and don't boohoo about free speech -- if you want to post at a forum where there is no censorship, go stomach a few threads over at 4chan if you are man enough or perverted enough.) My prediction is this thing is going to kick ass if it is real. I support that by the sudden Roland haters who have popped up on this thread. If this was debuted discretely at NAMM then someone must be awfully intimidated enough to go so far as to steal intellectual property, stage this event and then have the cowardness to challenge Steve Fortner, a long time advocate for every musician out there openly in thus thread. I am sure the cowards at future music or synthtopia are hiding behind some sock puppet and doing the will of their masters in this thread. I just cannot believe that someone would accuse and lecture Steve about this. To that person, I hope you have the same empathy if your identity is hacked and your bank account or cellphone drained. But back to the rumored Jupiter, I am thrilled at what I am reading. Thank god, no sequencer, an interface that appears logical and a touch screen. I am dying to know the engine in this thing because for all the cyber terrorism concerning it, it must have a lot of manufacturers very worried. Add the V-Piano Grand, the GR-55, and the new Sonar X1 and I would say Roland is having one helluva good year despite the paid shills and haters on this thread.
curtisdog1

Post by curtisdog1 »

why don't you wait untill it is released go buy one (if you work) ,spend some time getting to know it and then review it. you might know what you're really talking about then
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Oh wow, it is such a rare thing when someone asks me for censorhip and moderation! And it's right about when I loosened my leadership here after being accused of being a tyran a thousand times...
bisibuuu

Post by bisibuuu »

i think it won't be only the jUPiter 80 to amaze us this time....
so many G in the Roland Connect's Teaser...
just a coinci-"dance"??^^

what i mean)
( i write here 'cause the other thread has been locked and don't wanna pollute anymore..)

am i the only who notice
the words ending in G in the Roland Connect Teaser?

metamorphosis of a le-G.-end
a dramatic transformation ( from what? )has be-G-un
amazin.G,
the spirit of a le-G-end re.emer-G-es
new musical beginnin-G

so many G's...
don't you think that Roland is sayn som'thin about OUR!!! beloved G????

I hope so..
actually for the last time...so come on ROland!!!!
Grammar Wombat

Post by Grammar Wombat »

Artemiy wrote:Oh wow, it is such a rare thing when someone asks me for censorship and moderation! And it's right about when I loosened my leadership here after being accused of being a tyrant a thousand times...
Tyranny is greatly undervalued!
Undercoverman

Post by Undercoverman »

I agree that dropping the sequencer was a good idea, nobody I can think of uses a sequencer in their workstation these days for anything other than sketching out ideas, especially if they have a dedicated version available in the studio. I certainly didn't. I'm looking for the positives from the bare minimum amount of information we've received so far. I admit I would have liked to see the Jupiter name attached to something more akin to the V-Synth technology (in that, the Jupiter 8 is still recognised as one of the best polysynths ever produced and that it was Roland's flagship product at the time regarding synthesis, much as the V-Synth GT remains so today), but I am very interested in how the supernatural sounds integrate with the pure synthesis side of things. If it is as suspected, just two layers of sounds which do not interact in any meaningful way, then I think it's something of a missed opportunity. As Artemiy mentions, it's easy to do this with a Fantom G (which I have owned, and since sold), so why reinvent the wheel? It's purely that question which makes me think there's more to this than meets the eye.

What should interest is the fidelity of the sound, and the ease of (that dreaded, unmusical word) workflow. Those are the only two areas I think that the Jupiter, based on the info available, can compete in an already crowded market that looks set to be dominated by the Kronos (at all levels, and especially at this price point).

The point I want to make is that Roland haven't had the opportunity to present this product in the way that they would like. The stolen (version of the) article didn't provide much to get excited about. I am sure Roland's marketing team have produced some incredibly slick visuals and demos to go along with this product's launch. It is absolutely required of them if they're going to be handling a name with as much weight as the Jupiter has amongst musicians. They want to, naturally, present the information concerning the Jupiter in the best possible way. A stolen article and a photo of the synth does not do this by any stretch of the imagination. One of the reasons people are so excited about the Kronos is the all-singing all-dancing presentation it was given upon launch, which was beautifully handled and gave a very thorough overview of the instrument in action. Roland haven't had a chance to do this yet. Speculation based off that article, without even hearing a single sound, is always going to be negative. People are assuming that everything the Jupiter 80 can do, and the way in which it can be done, is contained in the bare minimum of information that has slipped out - of course it's going to be negative. At least give Roland a chance to clarify their position and explain the Jupiter 80 in full.
hoodedclaw

Post by hoodedclaw »

velocifero wrote:hoodenclaw represents exactly my point: nothing more then someone here to trash Roland. Let me clue you on some real world ethics: I moderate a forum for a type of rather expensive luxury car. In that forum you can complain about the latest model, whine about features but you cannot bash the company or it's employees. The problem with this forum is that there is a lack of trained moderation. No one should be allowed to bash Roland or it's employees (and don't boohoo about free speech -- if you want to post at a forum where there is no censorship, go stomach a few threads over at 4chan if you are man enough or perverted enough.) My prediction is this thing is going to kick ass if it is real. I support that by the sudden Roland haters who have popped up on this thread. If this was debuted discretely at NAMM then someone must be awfully intimidated enough to go so far as to steal intellectual property, stage this event and then have the cowardness to challenge Steve Fortner, a long time advocate for every musician out there openly in thus thread. I am sure the cowards at future music or synthtopia are hiding behind some sock puppet and doing the will of their masters in this thread. I just cannot believe that someone would accuse and lecture Steve about this. To that person, I hope you have the same empathy if your identity is hacked and your bank account or cellphone drained. But back to the rumored Jupiter, I am thrilled at what I am reading. Thank god, no sequencer, an interface that appears logical and a touch screen. I am dying to know the engine in this thing because for all the cyber terrorism concerning it, it must have a lot of manufacturers very worried. Add the V-Piano Grand, the GR-55, and the new Sonar X1 and I would say Roland is having one helluva good year despite the paid shills and haters on this thread.
Wow a bit rich coming from a n00b with only 8 posts to his name.

Let me tell you this son, 90% of my studio is Roland gear and 80% of it analogue, and what i own in Roland gear you would only ever dream of owning. Every synth maker out there gets bashed not just Roland, because buyers are not happy with the product coming out. You want to moan head over to GS where the JP-80 is being hammered, run your mouth there and you will soon get hounded out.

Take Dieter Doepfer, now there is a man who cares about his customer base, if he gets enough good suggestions for a new eurorack module, he will build it, do the big japanese 3 ever listen to their customers - No! It's all do with the shareholders in Roland, they control what goes in, what comes out. Roland isn't innovative as they used to be, it's repackage, repackage, repackage.

Roland don't care or listen to the ordinary buyers of their gear on the street, they look to get advice from the pro-musicians out there ie: Jordan Rudess etc. The pro's want everything done for them, they don't want the hassle of having to program a synth, the hassle of having lots of knobs and sliders, knowing with a synth like the JP-80 they can just push a button and have an instant sound there and then without having to do the tedious task of programming.

Now Korg's Monotribe is innovative, fresh and something different and it's analogue. Will Roland ever do that, no i don't think so.