Keyboard magazine leak

Forum for JUPITER-80
hoodedclaw

Keyboard magazine leak

Post by hoodedclaw »

Here you go, the Jupiter-80 in all it's V-Synth clone-alike glory, yawn!!

[Image deleted by PiaKnowGuy]
wladymeer

Re: Keyboard magazine leak

Post by wladymeer »

As I said on gearslutz forum (might copy/paste some thoughts from it), my feeling is that I don't think this is gonna be anything else but next Juno-Stage.

You may ask why?

Well, first, all 76-keys models were first one to be discontinued (Fantom X7, G7, Juno Stage). At first I thought it was very stupid idea as I find it perfect for semi-pro musicians who need more than 61 but transport and set instruments on their own. But now I see they really just wanted to clear their stock for Jupiter-80's arrival so that everyone that needs 76-keys and are into Roland sounds must reach for it.

If you ask me, very clever marketing.

I don't expect from Jupiter-80 anything special, as I mentioned above - same story as for Juno Stage - there are arps, easy layer/split mode, USB player, no sequencer, probably also PSB-1U power supply (one R&D fellow from another company told me that in case they are making top-class synth, adapters are out of question) but it's probably Fantom G inside instead of X. It makes sense as well - AX-Synth and Lucina also had some SuperNatural sounds and they came after Fantom G, so it's probably just next-in-line synth.

I have a feeling Roland wanted to compete with Clavia with this model and to make perfect stage synth.

In case it's around $2000 I might consider it. Especially because Roland knows how to make light-weight synth, easy to carry around. I know there are some words it's gonna cost $3000-4000 but I have a feeling it's not gonna be that expensive and if Artemiy has some info I would really appreciate if I could get some PM about it (won't tell a soul) because I'm considering selling my Juno Stage at the moment for something similar but better. If Jupiter-80 fits in my budget I would probably stay with Roland.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I never have any price or other information... but I think this machine will be over $3000 for sure. Especially since I doubt they will be making it in China or Taiwan to lower the costs.
wladymeer

Post by wladymeer »

Damn... Guess I'm gonna wait for Juno-80 for NAMM'12 :(

Thanks anyway!
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

No sequencer! Finally Roland doing what has to be done..Nice Job!! Now, keep the price affordable, or still, no one will buy it. I mean sure, someone will, but not what they would expect or would like...
CJ

Post by CJ »

Well, my first thoughts......

- If it is about Supernatural, it could never be a step back
- No sequencer, that's fine with me.

What I hope:

- Lighter-weight for easy-carrying to gigs, haha hopefully lighter than Juno-G !!! (eventhough my Fantom X7 is also still easy to carry)

- No issues or too-muc-steps-complex midi-communication with an external additional midi=keyboard
(I guess many of Fantom-X users know what I mean, splitzones , assigned midi-channels etc. not communicating nice between Fantom X and external, don't know how that issue is on Fantom-G)

Anyway, even though Fantom X7 is my personal ' collector's item classic' I am very curious about Jupiter-80. I give it a chance.

Just my thoughts....

CJ
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

ok, i hate it already. hahaha. :D

not for me.
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

I'm really curious now. As I've written in other threads I've been in the market for a synth for my live setup for a while (playing a D-70 with mainstage right now live). I passed on the Juno Stage as it just looked like a watered down Fantom X. This could be something interesting for my home studio and as a live synth as it sounds like a new approach. Looking forward to hearing more. I hope Keyboardmag isn't in hot water over this! They're good guys.
secret Roland agent

Post by secret Roland agent »

I like the pretty colours!
en76

Post by en76 »

nice! they do have Joystick.....yeah! Supernatural still lives on....now thats good news for my FG7. This will absolutely a great additional to my FG7 Also B3 modeling technology in this J-80 very nice.
vxfan

Post by vxfan »

Is this an April Fool's Joke? A Jupiter with what... four sliders or so?
keysme

Post by keysme »

Thank God it's more than just a Synth. I was thinking along the lines of a "true" Synth like Dave Smith Instruments puts out. Since it also does 'acoustic' sounds in addition to synth sounds I can now breathe a huge sigh of relief. Whew!!! No doubt thousands of other keyboardists around the world are probably doing the same thing. :D Exhale..... ahhh! Let go of all that pent up anger and resentment... relax... breathe deeply... regain your composure. Picture all that stress melting away in a sea of tranquility. Okay, I feel better. :)

Here's my take. 76 keys (right?) so it's probably gonna be light weight e.g. the dude carrying it under one arm in one of the flash image pictorials conveys a lightweight portable solution. Since EVERY sound is a SuperNatural (although how many are we talking about in total??) - it will probably sound great - but with no sequencer Roland could potentially "lose" a lot of sales had they actually included one. Oh sure, you can hook it up to a computer but an on-board sequencer is super convenient and used for those times you don't (wouldn't) have access to a computer. Which, in the case of Artemiy, that would be never, obviously, :) but for the rest of us... not so fast. ;) Anyway, I think Roland goofed but what do I know. Although with no sequencer on board it will drive down the cost somewhat so that's one positive way to look at it.

The inclusion of (top of the class) B3 clonewheel Organ technology within the Jupiter-80 is really exciting since we all know how diminutive and lackluster the B3 organs on the Fantom G were. I can see a lot of people selling or trading in their Fantom G just to get those gorgeous B3 organs on the Jupiter-80, if indeed, they're actually as pristine in quality as the hype is suggesting they'll be. Don't count your chickens before they hatch I guess though huh. ;) We'll know soon enough. Five more days to be exact.

Roland better get somebody who really knows how to make that beast shine on stage because the first impression is usually the most critical. I'm guessing Scott Tibbs will be the demonstrator at Musikmesse. If the B3's on the Jupiter-80 sound as good as a Hammond/Suzuki XK-3c then we're in for a real treat. That alone might be worth the price of admission. Again, we'll have to wait and see. Although, no sequencer might be a deal breaker for me. Now, if we could get Walgrafix to record/multi-sample a genuine B3 and sell to Fantom G owners for a pittance (or thereabouts) there would be far less need to acquire an actual Jupiter-80. $3,000 vs. $50-60.00 for a couple, or few, multi-sampled B3 projects from Walgrafix could potentially save a gob of people a gob of money in the process. :) If only.

Depending on how good the sounds are, overall, will be a huge factor too. If most of them are "excellent" in every category then that's probably reason enough to seriously consider it. >> If having NO sequencer available on the Jupiter-80 doesn't bother you that is. ;) Obviously, the sounds are the most important aspect on any keyboard. A lot of people could live without an on-board sequencer obviously. Still, Roland's decision not to include one could potentially hurt overall sales if you ask me. Live and learn... Roland. If sales are indeed hindered because of the lack of a sequencer most likely its successor, the Jupiter-90, will have one, right? :D Live and learn... Roland. Time will tell...
donutninja

Post by donutninja »

Wow, some people don't know what day it is...
secret Roland agent

Post by secret Roland agent »

. . . What day is it?
donutninja

Post by donutninja »

I'm still viewing the world with my April Fool's Day glasses on. :-D